mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Selling only bike (FS26) for SS 29er. Need encouragement.

Started a thread looking for a steel 29erss frame to build but after riding my FS after riding rigid SS for a couple of weeks I found I no longer like the plushness and inefficiency of my full squishy I've decided to sell it to fund what I really want. I'm sure you guys who participated in my earlier threads knew it was just a matter of time

It just felt boring. I missed standing and mashing that one gear, that challenge and mentality you have going into the trail. I hated just sitting and spinning and bashing over everything and not feeling it. I was able to turn a little sharper and hit switchbacks with ease, but I was able to do that on my friends 29er after a couple of rides. Just had to get used to the bike. I also just felt faster.

I do worry about some pretty tech trails and not being able to keep up or getting too beat up and that's the only reason i feel scared selling my FS. I was planning on buying an anthem x come spring anyway so from now till then I will only have rigid/ht SS if my trance sells.

I guess I'm just looking for input from you guys who have been through the same thing. Was it worth it selling your couch of a bike for something that is pure challenge and willpower? Do you regret it? Are you still able to tackle techy trails?

I appreciate any response.

Thanks guys!
    There's something about those long grueling climbs that gets my front end all stiff... And I'm not talking about lockout...

FKA Malibu412
    Sell it.

Keep it.

I sold my FS and never looked back.

I would never sell my FS because I have a bad back.

I find that an HT/rigid works on about 95% of the riding I do so go for it.

I like to keep a FS for those all-day rides or that one technical descent ride I do now and then.

I'm so much faster on my HT/rigid.

I feel so much faster on my FS, especially in the chunk.

Climbing is so much more efficient on my HT/rigid because of the lack of bob.

Climbing is so much more efficient on my FS because the tire stays on the ground more.

On my HT/rigid, I may be slower on the downs but I make up for it when the trail turns twisty.

Downs are so much more fun on my FS so I don't mind a little inefficiency from the rear end.

I couldn't imagine not having the pure, zen experience of an HT/rigid and riding a couch instead.

I love the bling factor and the looks I get when I pull up at the trail head with my FS.

There, that should cover most of them. Honestly, ride what is the most fun for you. Try different things. Go back and try stuff you've tried before. /thread
    "I love the bike. It's my meditation. I think I'm bike-sexual." -Robin Williams

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    That was actually eye opening. I overthink like crazy. Indecisive and neurotic
    There's something about those long grueling climbs that gets my front end all stiff... And I'm not talking about lockout...

Bro Mountainbiker
    I think that you should try to swing the SS purchase before you sell your old bike.

Im not saying I dont think you would enjoy singlespeed, but what if? If you enjoy it as much as most of us here, then go ahead and get rid of the FS!

I personally loved the couple years I spent riding only SS off road. But now I really appreciate having a geared bike as well!
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I scavenged my geared, sus. fork, 26er bike to put together a rigid SS 29er and was really considering selling off the frame, fork, etc. thinking that I would never ride it again, you know, the "freedom of riding a SS" and "29er is so much better, I could never go back to a 26er" thing. (Not trying to start a 26er vs 29er argument)
    After a couple of months of doing the SS only thing I started to miss my gears, not because SS was too hard or anything, I just missed being able to shift into a higher gear to go faster and not spin out so much. I got some extra parts, put my geared 26er back together and have re-discovered it.
    Now I have both and can switch off depending on my mood.

I guess what I'm saying is don't make a rash decision, you may want to have some variety later. Besides, as everyone knows, the formula for how many bikes you should have is
    N+1, N being the number of bikes you already have.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheepo5669 View Post

I personally loved the couple years I spent riding only SS off road. But now I really appreciate having a geared bike as well!

A few years ago I parted out my squishy bike and built a SS as my only bike.

Agreed, the last few years only having a SS trail bike have been awesome. Why am I building up a second bike thats 1x10? Because I want to ride gears sometimes too. I can ride pretty much everything with the SS and I can walk too so thats no big deal. I just want to take it easy on my knee and instead of mashing up big hills I'd like to sit and spin up.

No matter what your doing, there is always burn out. It's best to keep a variety of bikes in the quiver!

mtbr member
    I just sold my FS mainly because I really don't ride it enough to justify owning it. I've been trying to reduce the clutter in my life in every aspect including bikes. I used to own up to 5 bikes of my own (plus wife and kids bikes), now I own two with one being a road bike. My only fear is on climbs (which I hate anyway, gears or not) and if need be I'll just hoof it on those. I'm committed to the simplicity of one gear and no suspension, maybe I'll change my mind and maybe I will not.
    Origin 8 Scout 29
    Rodriquez Adventure

Blog

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Climbs are my favorite part of mtbing. I realized yesterday its way more fun to just mash and stand up a climb than to sit and spin and try to focus on not bobbing the complex suspension systems. I did some pretty long climbs last weekend on the SS that were daunting, solely because of being on an SS. I still welcomed them and had a blast. I figure any trail can be tackled by any bike. It's just how bad I want it and the skills I learn from failing and retrying. Fun comes first. The rigid SS is so fun. The 26fs not so much right now. Who knows, maybe I'm just excited about something new. There will always be other bikes.

mtbr member
    I've never owned a FS. Not going to own it bacause our local trails really don't need FS. But who knows? 2 years ago I dreamed of having fast XC FS. But then I went to another direction - SS. I tryed different combinations of SS: hardtail 26, rigid 26, rigid 29. I think that SS, 29 wheels and rigid are made for each other (for XC use). Rigid SS is more simple and more cheap than geared FS and also not less (if not more) fun to ride. That's why I choose SS. Riding SS is always a challenge - to mash harder, to spin faster, to ride smoother. Riding without those challenges is boring for me. That's why I also like riding fixedgear - it gives me the next level of challenge.

If you like those challenges you will love SS as your only bike (or by fixedgear as your 2nd (after SS) bike).

Shift less, Pedal more.
    I sold 3 26er bikes for 2 29ers, one SS with front squish, and one FS 120 up front and 130 out back.

9 out of 10 rides, I'm on my SS. Simple, quiet, and reliable. I can ride everything on my SS that I do on my FS, it just takes more finesse. I wouldn't do Bootleg Canyon or lift access riding with my SS or a HT, but then again, I rarely get up to Bootleg or to a place that has a chairlift running in the summer.

I'm actually contemplating selling the FS to get a geared HT 29er......decisions, decisions....
    I'd rather be hated for what I am, than loved for what I'm not......Dolemite.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Birdss View Post
    I sold 3 26er bikes for 2 29ers, one SS with front squish, and one FS 120 up front and 130 out back.

9 out of 10 rides, I'm on my SS. Simple, quiet, and reliable. I can ride everything on my SS that I do on my FS, it just takes more finesse. I wouldn't do Bootleg Canyon or lift access riding with my SS or a HT, but then again, I rarely get up to Bootleg or to a place that has a chairlift running in the summer.

I'm actually contemplating selling the FS to get a geared HT 29er......decisions, decisions....
    This is what I want to.accomplish this year. Both a 29er rigid SS and a 29FS. Can only afford the SS right now but don't mind it at all.

mtbr member
    I love my SS. I would prefer it any day of the week to my FS. However, my knee is starting to hurt so I keep the geared FS for those achy days. It also provides me with a guest bike.

When I wanted to check out 29er SS I bought a cheap one off bikesdirect.com. So even if after a couple months I didn't like it, I could resell it and wouldn't be out a much money. That was over a year ago. Needless to say, I fell in love with SS.

Don't get rid of one until you know the other is a keeper. You'll really regret it if you miss your old bike.
    Just because you can't hear them scream doesn't mean they don't. Save a plant, eat meat.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I understand where you are coming from about falling in love with SSing
    (passes the kool-aid).

I probably have ridden my f/s less then 20% of the time since I got my SS but it is nice to have it on the days my back, neck, shoulders feel beat up.

White and nerdy
    May 2012
    I sold a full squish 26 inch wheel bike for a rigid SS 29er and have been happy with it 99% of the time. However it depends on where you live and what you like to ride. I live in the mountains of colorado and on trails like the monarch crest and the rainbow trail a rigis SS is great and I wouldn't ride anything else. But...

If I lived some place with a lot of exposed bed rock like moab or maybe even fruita or just a place with tons and tons of baby heads then I would want a full suspension bike. I really don't care about the gears but the full suspension comes in to play on longer rides with lots of ledgy terrain. On semi smooth terrain ( like the monarch crest descent) I keep up just fine on a rigid bike. On ledgy terrain/slick rock i have to stand up and coast to absorb some bumps while folks on a full squish sit and pedal and pull away from me.

So where do you live and plan on riding, what is the terrain like?

mtbr member
    You are going in the right direction in choosing a steel frame....I own an aluminum frame / fork 26" single speed and a steel frame / carbon fork 29er.....there is a huge difference in ride quality comparing the two. And of course the wheel size difference is also a factor.

mtbr member
    I just built up a EMD9 frame that I had sitting around as a rigid SS and couldn't get enough. After 5 rides in 1 week I was frame shopping! Found a deal on a Lynskey Ridgeline and snatched it up. I've been riding everything with it and we have some very rocky technical trails here. I sold the 26" FS, selling the 26" HT, and contimplating selling the 29er FS. I really like riding rigid SS, even with the amount of climbing we get(i.e. 100ft. per mile on average).

mtbr member
    My main bikes are two Singular Humnmingbirds (one rigid 69er SS and one with 8 speed Alfine and Maverick SC32's, which is also a 69er) plus a Trek Top Fuel 69er FS.

I enjoy riding them all and chop and change from one to the other on a daily basis. What I will say though is that I've never come back from a ride on the SS Hummingbird and found myself thinking or saying "I wish that I'd taken a bike with gears and/or suspension".
    On the other hand I have sometimes said "I wish that I'd taken the singlespeed instead".

Also, just to be contrary here - I often take the singlespeed out to give my knees an easier time of it than they get sitting and spinning on the FS Trek. I think this whole "SS is too hard on my knees" thing is a bit overplayed, myself. And I do lots of climbing - I live on a small island with lots of mountains and valleys and if you're not climbing out of one valley you're dropping into another. This is why a singlespeed works well here - not much flattish terrain.

The older I get, the more I find that a singlespeed suits me - I ride it at least as much as my other bikes put together.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I have a geared 29 and ss 29. if you can swing it, dont sell the old one. it is nice to have 2 rides. I find myself riding the SS more than anything now.

mtbr member
    Sell it the FS. By the time you want another, suspension tech will be drastically different and you can get the new "current"

mtbr member
    Agreed.

To the contrary of SS, FS seem to age super rapidly - a 2006 FS looks like a 1981 computer?

But that's one super luxury in life to keep the choice every time you get to the trails and, for some, to have a 2nd rig available for guests.

After hesitating to sell my FS 26" I made that choice to keep both FS and SS with the secret ambition to convert friends (first to ride out of the city (this works well. + progressive results with the wife and the kid) then - but yet a hopeless challenge for me - to convert them to singlespeed - the voice must come from within...)