mtbr member
    Jan 2004

seeking cool ultra/epic 100

this isn't really SS specific, but the noble SSers are the smartest posters around, so here goes:

i wanna take the family out to see the mountains, which will put me in a pitiful griswold minivan state of being. this is the price of fatherhood. however, savvy and wily old tactician that i am, i have figured that i could drive the poor unkowing wife-and-kids to some scenic mountain locale and - WHAT HO !! - there just happens to be a 100 mile off road bicycle race there that very weekend. guess i'll have to enter ( hey whaddyaknow i already AM entered, honey !! ) heh heh.

anyway - can any of ya'll suggest a 100 mile race which has a cool course - - - singletrack aplenty and if possible SS friendly/fun - - - - - that is NOT way the hell in the middle of noplace ( read: leadville . . . ) so the family can hang out and maybe skateboard in the town park, ride around on the trails a little or groove in some vacation-y sorta fashion ??

brian head? vail ?? other ???

lastly, we're open to other areas too. maybe the smokies or something?

thanx !!

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    Quote Originally Posted by mon t
    this isn't really SS specific, but the noble SSers are the smartest posters around, so here goes:

i wanna take the family out to see the mountains, which will put me in a pitiful griswold minivan state of being. this is the price of fatherhood. however, savvy and wily old tactician that i am, i have figured that i could drive the poor unkowing wife-and-kids to some scenic mountain locale and - WHAT HO !! - there just happens to be a 100 mile off road bicycle race there that very weekend. guess i'll have to enter ( hey whaddyaknow i already AM entered, honey !! ) heh heh.

anyway - can any of ya'll suggest a 100 mile race which has a cool course - - - singletrack aplenty and if possible SS friendly/fun - - - - - that is NOT way the hell in the middle of noplace ( read: leadville . . . ) so the family can hang out and maybe skateboard in the town park, ride around on the trails a little or groove in some vacation-y sorta fashion ??

thanx !!
    SM100 in Harrisburg, VA.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Drevil's tha man with tha plan.

www.mtntouring.com

mtbr member

I saw an ad for this a the sea otter

The Endurance 100-Mile Mountain Bike Race

Start Date End Date Telephone
    08/28/2004 08/28/2004 435 649-2129

This extreme mountain bike race will take riders through the Wasatch Mountains. Riders will have a choice of 100 mile race solo/Century, 100 kl race solo/Euro Century, 50 mile race solo/Half Century. Grand Total of The E 100 race course: 100 miles of rolling alpine single track trail with a total gain of 18,627 ft.

Beware of Doggerel

Alaska

Well this may be a bit out of the way but since your post indicates you are willing to go anywhere from the west to the east, how about north? We have two great rides comming up this summer in Alaska. The Sweet Roll 200 and the Soggy Bottom 100. The Sweet Roll is the end of July and the Soggy Bottom is the end of August. More info on the races is here at http://www.soggybottom.com. Also do a MTBR search under soggybottom (or soggy bottom) I've posted ride reports on this race and there has been some discussion of this years dates on the Alaska forum and the 29er Forum.
    Alaska makes for a great family vacation lots to do and the Alcan is a great drive or you can fly to Anchorage and go from there, there are plenty of us bikers up here and we tend to be more or less friendly.
    Adam

Quote Originally Posted by mon t

thanx !!

KMA
    T U R T L E S P E E D
    Vail Ultra 100
    http://www.gohighline.com/ultra100/

Firecracker 50. Was a qualifier for the ’03 UCI US Marathon MTB Team. Not sure if it's a qulifier in 2004. Held in Breckenridge and there’s lots to do for the family. Cement skateboard park, recreation center, kayak course, summer luge run, good restaurants, etc…
    http://www.mavsports.com/2003%20Firecracker.htm

Durango MTB 100
    http://www.gravityplay.com/MTB100/index2.htm

If want to reconsider the Leadville 100, it’s only about a 40 minute drive to Vail and 50 minutes to Breckenridge.