mtbr member
    Jun 2009

sea otter cat 2 xc results: top 5 singlespeed vs geared. SS about 5% slower.

a short collection of data below. I believe top 5 fairly represents the results, but please feel free to add to data. This data has some confounding variables. I would guess that SS riders on average are more experienced than non SS riders; experience generally means faster, don't think it makes results that much less compelling.

source: 2013 Race Results (Volkswagen Sea Otter Classic - April 10-13, 2014)
    singlespeed men (all ages) (44 racers)
    time (roundest to nearest minute) / age of rider
    1:35 25
    1:36 51
    1:37 38
    1:39 38
    1:40 28

geared men (age: 35-37) (42 racers)
    1:32 34
    1:33 36
    1:33 37
    1:35 36
    1:35 34

I felt the age 35-37 to be the fairest comparison because similar size group at 42 racers and similar mean age to SS group.

course description
    19.9miles, roughly 3000ft climbing.
    CAT 2 (intermediate) course: This is a very challenging course. It combines all the components of a great ride—lots of singletrack, ample passing on the doubletrack/fire roads, and close to 7500 feet of total climbing (for two laps). The CAT 1/CAT 2 cross country course includes a long singletrack climb up the famous "Goat" Trail—TR 41. The first few miles of the course are fire road/double track—Lookout Ridge Road—but include the "Wall.” This may become a hike-a-bike pending trail conditions, transitioning into the descent down TR49, a fun, fast, flowing tight singletrack section. We are using the famous "Ewok" Trail –TR 43—climbing up to Three Sisters Road. Finally, one of the newer trails in the Fort Ord Trail system is in this course: TR36. This singletrack trail is a ton of fun—a twisty, tight descending trail through the eucalyptus trees.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    so I did my first xc cat 3 race. looking at their results page... it looks like my next bike will be SS.

mtbr member
    Inetresting results. I think I am probably faster on a geared bike than my SS, but not enough to make me want to switch back to gears. One of the main reasons is that I am not going to be winning the races I enter, whether its geared or SS, so a minute or two here and there isn't going to matter to me. I like the challange the SS provides, makes me feel like I accomplished something at the end of it.
    RideMFRide

mtbr member
    This was pretty good to look at. I finished 7th in Cat 2 SS. The only time I got caught by geared juniors was after the flat stretch to the feedzone (mile 11). The flats and rolling fireroads at the end were, what I feel, was an advantage to geared riders.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    There is a cat2 ss class?
    ATV = fat A$$

mtbr member
    2nd Place SSer = Baller. A tip o' my hat to that gent. Inspires this 40 year old.
    Cheers,
    M

more skier than biker
    Nov 2006

Quote Originally Posted by butryon View Post
    There is a cat2 ss class?
    Yeah and there is a Cat 1 SS class too ( that races double the distance).

jct
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 333 View Post
    This was pretty good to look at. I finished 7th in Cat 2 SS. The only time I got caught by geared juniors was after the flat stretch to the feedzone (mile 11). The flats and rolling fireroads at the end were, what I feel, was an advantage to geared riders.

what ratio were you running? did you wish you had more/less gearing?

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Yes, I was aware of the cat 1 SS. I have never been to a race that had a cat 2 SS class. Nonetheless, nice work.
    ATV = fat A$$

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jct View Post
    what ratio were you running? did you wish you had more/less gearing?
    34x22 ... wish I had a 21 or maybe even 20 in the back.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by idaz View Post
    2nd Place SSer = Baller. A tip o' my hat to that gent. Inspires this 40 year old.
    Cheers,
    M
    No doubt!
    Ride Bikes
    Drink Beer

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    This was indeed interesting, I was 3rd in the SS race and ran a 32x18, #1 & #2 were running 32x20.

The X factor is how many people were slowed up by running into riders in front of them in areas that they could not pass? I would argue that the geared riders would be able to ride the course faster if there were not as many people on the route. just my .02

Pedal Damn It!
    What about on climbs where SSers would have the advantage yet not be able to pass a geared bike? I do not believe that the times recorded during a race can be considered good data to compare the two. The only legitimate way to test which is faster is to just give up because no two rides by the same person are identical whether geared or not and no two riders are equal so there really is no way to know which is faster. If there is passing involved in the race then the times don't really mean anything.

metrotuned WoS
    I was there heckling and cheering on the SS riders! One of the Team Diablo riders finished 3rd in SS. However, SS is not a tool used for race day. We ride SS EVERY DAY SON.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Quote Originally Posted by idaz View Post
    Cheers,
    M
    And he was more than 4 minutes faster than the winner of the C2 50-52 class.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common