mtbr member

Scwalbe supermoto 2.35 as a tyre for rigid SS?

Last summer I used supermoto on my geared hardtail and liked it on low pressures. I'm going to try these tyres on my rigid SS for XC riding and racing. The volume is great for rigid. They also roll extremely well. But I'm not sure about the grip, especially when climbing. Because it's clear that SS and geared climbing technique are different.

What do you think? What features must rear tyre have for SS climbing?

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Qualitative explanation:
    SS and geared are not all the different. Depending on your ring and cog, your ss gearing will fall somewhere in the middle of an average geared set up. A geared system just allows you more flexibility and extremely low and high gearing options. With that being said, one usually operates a geared bike somewhere in the middle; somewhere similar to a ss. Therefore, if you tire of choice works well for a geared bike, I don't see why it wouldn't work well for a ss. If you want to be certain, use a little math and determine which gear combination (speed) matches very closely or exactly with your ss setup. Then ride the bike in that speed alone and see how you like it.
    Quantitative explanation:
    Traction (grip) has to do with frictional force and applied force. The frictional component, assuming that the tires, air pressure, and course remain the same, is constant. The force is then derived from the torque being created by your legs and the different speed(s) of the bike. Therefore, as long as your legs cannot create a force greater then the friction force of the tires, you will have good traction. Since you have already had good results with a geared bike which has the ability to generated greater torque, you shouldn't have an issue with the ss speed which is usually harder to generate high levels of torque with.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ/UF View Post
    Qualitative explanation:
    SS and geared are not all the different. Depending on your ring and cog, your ss gearing will fall somewhere in the middle of an average geared set up. A geared system just allows you more flexibility and extremely low and high gearing options. With that being said, one usually operates a geared bike somewhere in the middle; somewhere similar to a ss. Therefore, if you tire of choice works well for a geared bike, I don't see why it wouldn't work well for a ss. If you want to be certain, use a little math and determine which gear combination (speed) matches very closely or exactly with your ss setup. Then ride the bike in that speed alone and see how you like it.
    Quantitative explanation:
    Traction (grip) has to do with frictional force and applied force. The frictional component, assuming that the tires, air pressure, and course remain the same, is constant. The force is then derived from the torque being created by your legs and the different speed(s) of the bike. Therefore, as long as your legs cannot create a force greater then the friction force of the tires, you will have good traction. Since you have already had good results with a geared bike which has the ability to generated greater torque, you shouldn't have an issue with the ss speed which is usually harder to generate high levels of torque with.
    ^^ What he said....

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    supermoto's not an offroad tire, but if it's dry enough and hard packed enough it'll do.
    i shot mine along some snowed-on grass and banked into a couple wet roots at the park on the way home today.
    again, not really "offroad" but nothing went sideways on me...
    If steel is real then aluminium is supercallafragiliniun!