mtbr member

SchwinnSS - CAUTION - road bike content

CAUTION - road bike content, turn back now if you are a dirt only kind of guy/gal.

Anyway....just broke my SISS (<---MTB content), waiting on replacement frame, good thing I had this in the works to calm my SS jones.

1980something Schwinn LeTour frame, Tru Tempor 4130 frame. IRO high-flange flip/flop hub, matching front hub. 42/16 gear for the Western VA hills. DuraAce headset and track gear/lockring. Blah blah blah.

A "before" pic, and some after:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

very nice.

i have an early eighties world sport in my garage that is about half way to a similar conversion. seeing that makes me think i should get on it!
    [size=1][/size]

I am the owl
    Nice job!
    SingleSpeedOutlaw .com
    Riding Bikes and Drinking Beer.

mtbr member

paint?

what did you do for paint? diy rattlecan or p.c.? looks very nice. I've got my Miyata fixie that I want to repaint.

mtbr member

Krylon

Quote Originally Posted by qtip
    what did you do for paint? diy rattlecan or p.c.? looks very nice. I've got my Miyata fixie that I want to repaint.
    diy rattlecan. I did strip it to bare metal, 3 coats primer, paint and clearcoat. One thing to note, is that it takes FOREVER for the paint to cure...it will feel dry to the touch but will not be hard and cured for like 7 days...I know, had to repaint the top tube from getting in a hurry. I picked gloss black because I knew it would be easier to touch up the inevitable chips and scratches.

If I determine that frame suits me, then I will go the powder coat route. Something to think about for your Miyata.

Fat, but working on it...
    Ahh... I know all about those SWVA hills. All too well....

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    nice..spiffy hubs and stealth paint
    i dig the handlebar and relocated brake levers...
    where did ya get the bar, cause now i am itching to do the same to my miyata road ss..

mtbr member

bars

Quote Originally Posted by halfinch
    nice..spiffy hubs and stealth paint
    i dig the handlebar and relocated brake levers...
    where did ya get the bar, cause now i am itching to do the same to my miyata road ss..
    http://www.chucksbikes.com/store/brbull.htm

They are private labeled as Tsunami brand bars by Chuck's bikes, but actually are a set of Syntace bars, says it right on them on the underside. $10 verses $50.

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004

Sweet

Nice looking steed. I've got a half-built 1970's era "Vainqueur" French 10 speed sitting in my shed waiting for a similar conversion. A question - what was your cost?

mtbr member

Cost

Quote Originally Posted by Earthpig
    Nice looking steed. I've got a half-built 1970's era "Vainqueur" French 10 speed sitting in my shed waiting for a similar conversion. A question - what was your cost?
    I have about $350 in her, mostly in the wheels and tires. Hubs were only like $70 for the pair, check out

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/fixed-hubs.html#iro

$60 for rims, $40 for spokes, etc. Other costs were like $10 here, $20 there. Some parts given to me by a friend included, seat, stem, BB and cranks. DuraAce cog and lockring were about $30...already had a brand new Shimano freewheel.

mtbr member

Very nice!

Quote Originally Posted by mtnpat
    CAUTION - road bike content, turn back now if you are a dirt only kind of guy/gal.

Anyway....just broke my SISS (<---MTB content), waiting on replacement frame, good thing I had this in the works to calm my SS jones.

1980something Schwinn LeTour frame, Tru Tempor 4130 frame. IRO high-flange flip/flop hub, matching front hub. 42/16 gear for the Western VA hills. DuraAce headset and track gear/lockring. Blah blah blah.

Here's a couple of pics of my recently SSed road bike. It's an old Miele with a 42x16 gear, 27" wheels, no name BMX freewheel, cut down and flipped drop bars and an old canti brake lever mounted close to the CODA stem for front brake duty.

I'll post better images once I get them.These were taken with my camera phone. I'm also looking for a 27" or 700c rear wheel with a flip/flop hub for cheap if anyone knows of any. Thanks!

James
    Last edited by PROGRE-SS; 04-26-2004 at 04:40 PM. Reason: forgot stem
    A good friend will come bail you out of jail.
    But a true friend will be sitting next to you saying
    "Damn... we fcuked up!"

I CAME I SAW I CONQUERED

Oh man you have inspired me...........

I got one of those just waiting for the "fix" job if ya know what I mean.

Good job - V V V .
    "As a rule, men worry more about what they can't see than about what they can."
    -- Julius Caesar

mtbr member

sweet.

http://www.chucksbikes.com/store/brbull.htm

They are private labeled as Tsunami brand bars by Chuck's bikes, but actually are a set of Syntace bars, says it right on them on the underside. $10 verses $50.
    Nice conversion. I've been wanting to try out bull-horns, I'm currently running drops on my fixie but find myself on the flats or the brake hoods 90% of the time. 'bout the only time I'm in the drops is when I'm headed downhill, spinning my a** off and covering the front brake.

For $10 (plus another ten or so for bar-tape) it'd be a cheap experiment...

-Trevor

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

... and if we just ...

i really dig the tt bars.
    found an old coda drop bar that was way wider than the stock drop bar, cut it down, flipped it. Cut off the old foamy grip, circa 80's, laid it onto the coda bar and wrapped it up with hockey stick tape.
    took her out for 15 miles two nights ago and had a blast. thanks for the ideas.
    total cost outlay on the miyata, as it stands, is less than 20 bucks.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

27" vs. 700

Can and old 27" frame take the new 700 wheels/ tires? will the brakes need to be moved?

mtbr member

Yes and yes

Quote Originally Posted by nmcculloch
    Can and old 27" frame take the new 700 wheels/ tires? will the brakes need to be moved?
    Yes the 700c wheels/tires will fit, I forget the exact measurements, but basically I believe the 700c setup ends up being SLIGHTLY smaller than the 27" setup.

As far as brakes, with either wheel size, you need "long-reach" brake calipers, as older bikes do not tuck the wheels in as tight to the fork and rear triangle.

Here are some sources for long-reach calipers:

http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?c...ype=&estoreid=

http://aebike.com/site/page.cfm?PageID=30&SKU=BR7301

But, if you have decent brakes already on your old bike, they might just work with the 700c wheels, there may be no reason to buy new.

And finally a link to the authoritative site on all things old and fixed, etc:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/articles.html
    Last edited by mtnpat; 04-30-2004 at 11:21 AM. Reason: adding words