mtbr member

Scared into swapping out my carbon handlebar for an alloy.

The used SS I bought came with a carbon handlebar... And I ride with bar ends... all that mashing we do on Arizona hills has me scared... especially after reading all the carbon failures that happen ....

Am I crazy to swap the carbon bar for an alloy one ? or am I being paranoid ?

My apologies ahead of time if this turns into a flame war..
    fat old man ... fueled by Mexican pastries....

getting back into it...
    Not crazy. Do it. You really don't know what that bar has been through used, and like you said, you plan to use bar ends.

mtbr member
    I used to have a light weight xc carbon bar and it flexed too much and I replaced it with a stiffer downhill carbon bar.
    Dont ride on it if you feel its not safe.

mtbr member
    Sold- where do I pick it up? Seriously, if it is a name brand bar (Easton etc) you should be fine. Many times the makers assertion that bar ends should not be used are made out of caution for the ham fisted freaks who have no idea what a torque wrench is, or who tighten everything like it is a chevy connecting rod bolt.

Plus, good carbon rarely snaps right away at failure, it tends to mush, then fail giving some warning. If you want to sell it, and its the width/bend I can use, I will buy it. I can pick it up anytime.
    Find a ride on FB> AZ MTB

"Uppercase with a space"

Poacher
    Sep 2010
    Did you see the Easton Haven magnesium color bars for sale at
    PricePoint? I love those!

Shuttles R 4 Pussies
    Quote Originally Posted by cstem View Post
    Many times the makers assertion that bar ends should not be used are made out of caution for the ham fisted freaks who have no idea what a torque wrench is, or who tighten everything like it is a chevy connecting rod bolt.
    Agreed... and if you use carbon friction paste you'll be able to make the bar ends tight at a torque setting that's even less than recommended, giving an extra margin of 'crush prevention'. I use friction paste wherever possible... it ensures a non-slip fit, but also prevents parts from freezing together. I love the stuff. I use bar ends on the carbon bars of my race bike and they're rock solid at 3-4 Nm of torque, well within the safety margin.
    Screw the shuttle, I'm riding to the top. You're all worthless and weak!!!

mtbr member
    I gave away my haven carbon bar. Too flexy/bouncy for the drops I take. Went to the crank bros iodine 11 downhill carbon bar. Its solid.

mtbr member

Thanks everyone,.... and what brand is this bar ??

Thanks everyone...

I attached a photo of the bar. I can only assume this is one of those cheap ass Chinese bars you get straight from China on ebay...

You all tell me what you think ...

I think Corey (cstem) you will likely get a price from me to buy it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Scared into swapping out my carbon handlebar for an alloy.-100_1074.jpg  

getting back into it...
    Well it looks like he went high end on a bunch of other stuff so maybe don't assume el cheapo with the bar. I'm just a little paranoid because I've ridden a bike where the handlebars came off once (bar didn't snap, but somewhat similar effect).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jetdog9 View Post
    Well it looks like he went high end on a bunch of other stuff so maybe don't assume el cheapo with the bar. I'm just a little paranoid because I've ridden a bike where the handlebars came off once (bar didn't snap, but somewhat similar effect).
    I totally agree that he went very high end on this bike... But I would assume if this was a name brand bar, I would see the label..

mtbr member
    I read somewhere that carbon parts come with a warning that they are supposed to be replaced every 3 years - I assume that's for lawsuit reason.

Anyway, if you're not feeling confident, I would replace it. I hate being held back due to lack of confidence in parts.
    Ghisallo Wheels

I'm really good looking.

mtbr member
    my paranoia is likely not warranted , but alum. bars are not that expensive... I have some race face alloy bars that are going to replace these...

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    After having a used carbon bar snap clean off at the stem in the middle of an XC race, I don't think I will be riding carbon again if I'm not the only one who has ever clamped anything to it. You just don't know what the last person did to it.

It may well be fine, but after hitting the ground at 25 mph and walking away with only bruises, I don't really want to try my luck again.

A plethora of pinatas
    I am a fan of the the TRUVATIV Noir T30 10S Flat Bar https://www.sram.com/truvativ/produc...0-10s-flat-bar

Bar end compatible.

From their website...

Get a grip with our extra-wide 700mm flat bar. There are plenty of advantages to a wide, flat bar. Added control on technical trails, more power on the climbs, increased all-around comfort.
    Especially beneficial on 29ers or single-speed bikes, the T30 10S Flat Bar features carbon-fiber construction, a comfortable, deep 10-degree back-sweep and an ample 700mm width.
    Its finish - our familiar unidirectional carbon fiber graphite - matches TRUVATIVís popular Noir crank. Adding to the durability factor are material reinforcements and anti-slip surfaces in the stem and bar-end clamp zones.
    Marty

mtbr member
    del post

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Man, if you aren't 100% on it, just get rid of it and don't look back. Who wants to go out with that nagging "is this the day?...."