Glutton for punishment

Scarcity of 26" SS bikes?

My wife and I have a friend who wants to switch from her FS gearie to a SS. Being 5'2" she is not really a good candidate for a 29er (14/15" frame size). We've been looking for small or Xsmall used SS frames and there are not that many to be had. I can find any number of med-large 29er SS frames easily. Just curios - are the shorter people just holding on to those bikes? Or were they really not that popular?

I did find a small selection of new SS frames that size - Inbred, 4one5 and a couple others, but the market of 26er SS frames seems to have gotten much much smaller.

Any other places besides eBay and Craigslist I could be looking?

Thanks,

ScottN

Mtbr Forum Sponsor - Homebrewed Components
    Jul 2006
    how much can she spend? i just had a 26" siren built for me and i love it. I know he can do whatever she wants. Mine was an odd size to match my body type, 21" seat tube with a shorter top tube.

master blaster
    look for non ss frames, and pick up a forward components ebb. that will make your searching end alot sooner and successfully.

mtbr member
    any geared 26" hardtail converted with an FC EBB or a WI Eccentric hub. Both of these setups should work very well and solve the frame availability issue.

Also, most budget SS frames are made of budget steel and are a good bit heavier than equivalent aluminum frames. At that size I would think weight would matter much more than for most of us, and being able to use an aluminum frame would certainly help in that department

Ms. Monster
    Mar 2007
    Heh. If she can wait, this is in prototype.

Though she might be able to fit a small diSSent (I'm 5'4" and it's sweet).

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

My ladyfriend is 5' 2" and she fits great on the extra small 1x1. Those frames can be found at pretty reasonable prices new and used.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    salsa a la carte?
    suggest you stop looking for ss-only, LOTS of companies are doing sliders or something that'll allow ss.
    If steel is real then aluminium is supercallafragiliniun!

Ride,Smile, Pedal Damn it
    pick up an old klein and a tensioner. Ditch all shifting parts. Nice and light. Great way to go. Have fun.

The need for singlespeed
    How about those Voodoos? Wanga (Fe) or Bokor (Al). The latter can be found online for $310 new. 100mm fork, sliding drops, nice geo, small has a 21" ETT.

Glutton for punishment
    Bokor and Inbred are on the list. I have been looking for small/xsmall hardtails frames in general - I have a singulator she can use.

I've looking high and low for a used 1x1 for sure. I wish. Thanks for the feedback! I'm going to keep looking using the info you guys have posted up!

Thanks,

Scott

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I have a 14" Jamis Eureka frame just sitting there waiting for someone to love all over it. It's a disk only frame that I purchased as a whole bike in order to part out for a friends previous build. It's not steel but hey.....
    "Just remember, all bikes have front suspension once you put your hands on the handlebars!" - 1SPD

SP Singletrack rocks
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by henrymiller1
    pick up an old klein and a tensioner. Ditch all shifting parts. Nice and light. Great way to go. Have fun.
    ....and rides like a jack hammer. I have never ridden a more jarring bike than a klien hardtail.

mtbr member
    Jan 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by byknuts
    salsa a la carte?
    suggest you stop looking for ss-only, LOTS of companies are doing sliders or something that'll allow ss.
    2nd this. I had one of the previous generation Ala Carts and it was a wonderful bike. I have one of their Ek Kaboing 5" travel bikes but would love to pick up a new Ala Carte some time.

Salsa makes them in a XS size and their fit chart says it's good for riders around 5' 2"

Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by BushwackerinPA
    ....and rides like a jack hammer. I have never ridden a more jarring bike than a klien hardtail.
    I was about to say the same thing. I like stiff, but those things are STIFF.

Birdman aka JMJ
    My wife is 5'2" and has a 14" Soma Groove (same frame as the 4one5). Nice frame at a good price.

Her SS bike is a 14" Macalu/Litespeed ti frame with a Marz Xfly80 fork and WI ENO eccentric.

Go with a geared frame and the possibilities expand greatly.

JMJ

Ovaries on the Outside
    Kona Unit and MC/MC Flight can be found on ebay from time to time.

Dinner for wolves
    Ventana El Toro, On One Scandal/Inbred slot dropouts, Singular hummingbird, Ragley QED (rubs hands impatiently), Surly Troll, Transition Trans Am, Chumba HX1, Ibis tranny. There are plenty out there, G.
    Responds to gravity

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hn...021351160.html

I ran across one on Minneapolis craigslist pretty cheap. Maybe you could talk them into shipping it.