Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    USB Rep'n

SC still making Chameleons????

huge conspiracy? perhaps an underground govt. experiment to test the effects of stress related to waiting for a new bike? who knows!?

I just got back from a fantastic vacation in Hilton Head and decided to rid myself of bike related stress while gone by taking only my bmx bike to ride with the kids at the skatepark. It worked like a charm! No stress about riding or bikes whatsoever and I really had a chance to just unwind on vacation. Got home late Saturday night and suddenly, there it was! Stress - 100% bike related! Yup, thoughts began swirling in my head, is it here, could it be?? I eventually dozed off thinking of rootbeer and aluminum named after a lizard. Sunday, I awoke and patiently waited for the shop to open at noon. Even waited unitl 12:47 to call just to show I had some pride... ring, ring...."Hey Brian", I start, "got some good news for me?". Silence....Man was I bummed. My Chameleon was supposed to have been around before I left (or at least I was told), here it was, 12 days later and no lizard in sight. I asked what the hold up was and when I might see it and got nothing in response. They had no idea. I know it hasn't been forever, and others have worse tales of wait and woe but it's been six weeks for a non custom frame and Im starting to get kinda antsy. At least some idea would make me feel better but I'm kinda in some limbo/h@ll of just having to deal with the old "it'll be here when it gets here" b.s.. I have been trying to stay low key with the dealer about it (since he's a friend of mine) but do you think it's time to start putting the screws to him a bit?

I know I'm just frustrated but I am dying to get the frame and build it up and six weeks seems like a decent amount of time to have waited with no answer at all.

OK, mini rant (or whatever that was) over. Hopefully, it'll be here sooner than later (yeah right!)
    though hope is frail, it must prevail - Taj Weekes

betam eh-wud-eh-HA-lehu y
    eh-nay Ityopia!

Recovering Weight Weenie
    They were on display @ the Santa Cruz booth @ Sea Otter...give another call, eh?

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

No good bummer, brah.

i think i got the laSSt one!

i put a new FSA platinum bb, new RaceFace cranks, and new cog on mine yesterday evening. i'll think of you when i ride it tonight after work, mmmkay?

~chris
    [size=1][/size]

USB Rep'n
    Quote Originally Posted by eSSq
    i think i got the laSSt one!

i put a new FSA platinum bb, new RaceFace cranks, and new cog on mine yesterday evening. i'll think of you when i ride it tonight after work, mmmkay?

~chris
    works for me bud! factoring in the time difference (and you're normal delaying tactics which might mean a later start), I look for some lizard love around 9 or 10 est!!! Thanks and seriously, have a great ride and enjoy that bike!!!

eh-nay Ityopia!

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

delay tacticSS

Quote Originally Posted by namaSSte
    works for me bud! factoring in the time difference (and you're normal delaying tactics which might mean a later start), I look for some lizard love around 9 or 10 est!!! Thanks and seriously, have a great ride and enjoy that bike!!!
    i'm totally impreSSed with myself. i got the rf cranks, fsa bb and a nifty crank bolt sleeve tool from the Uber-SS-LBS, The Path (www.thepathbikeshop.com) on Friday at lunch, and actually got around to installing them in record (for me) time. i've even put on new (lighter) pedals and lowered the stem a bit - haven't cut the steerer yet because, hey, i'm still a little lazy! also haven't settled on a new stem, so i figure that buys me time, too.

you should get yourself one of those chainring bolt tools - it comes in very handy for adjusting the dropout sleeves on the chameleon. the one i got looks like a screwdriver, was mfg'd by Lifu and only cost five dollah. worth its weight in ti, lemme tell ya.

the wait will be worth it. like fixeefreeride aptly described his chameleon: "it rides just like a bike, only better!"
    [size=1][/size]

Daddy of 3 now!

I just called my LBS !!! About time,, the Lizard is in!!!

This is my first post. I hope it comes through correctly.

I ordered my new Chameleon on March 2nd. The waiting game is over, hopefully. I just got off the phone with the LBS and they just received in some new packages. One of them is mine,, yee haa! He said to call back in about 15-20 minutes so he can open up the box and make sure everything is fine. Please no screwups. It has been a long grueling 7 weeks. The weekends are getting nicer here in the N.East and I have been getting impatient.

USB Rep'n
    Quote Originally Posted by daddy2
    This is my first post. I hope it comes through correctly.

I ordered my new Chameleon on March 2nd. The waiting game is over, hopefully. I just got off the phone with the LBS and they just received in some new packages. One of them is mine,, yee haa! He said to call back in about 15-20 minutes so he can open up the box and make sure everything is fine. Please no screwups. It has been a long grueling 7 weeks. The weekends are getting nicer here in the N.East and I have been getting impatient.
    ohhh man! that is great news for ya! my lbs is closed monday's (imagine that!). anyway, I am in ohio so if you're on the east coast and got yours, maybe mine's here too??? I ordered mine march 7th so it stands to reason. either way, glad to hear your wait looks to be over. have a blast on it and shoot me a pic if ya can, at least I can live vicariously through you and eSSq (if he ever gets around to riding his! lol!)

eh-nay Ityopia!

USB Rep'n
    you should get yourself one of those chainring bolt tools - it comes in very handy for adjusting the dropout sleeves on the chameleon. the one i got looks like a screwdriver, was mfg'd by Lifu and only cost five dollah. worth its weight in ti, lemme tell ya.

the wait will be worth it. like fixeefreeride aptly described his chameleon: "it rides just like a bike, only better!"
    thanks for the heads up on that tool. I love the quote too, maybe someday I'll find out fer meself, arrrggghhhhh (in freaky pirate voice)

eh-nay Ityopia!

You Are What You Is
    That really sucks namaSSte. I had a similar wait time (10 weeks) for my 5 Spot.
    If it makes you feel any better I just installed a new King headset on my Chameleon.
    I'll post a pic of it tonight when I get home. Are the trails rideable right now in OH?

Daddy of 3 now!

Good job! It's official !!! The Lizard is mine..

Santa Cruz delivered my new Chameleon frame today.. I called my LBS back and I stayed on the phone while he opened up the box.. I just wanted to jump through the phone to get a glimpse. I waited long enough open it up already.. Patience is a virtue, I heard that somewhere
    Anyway the order was placed and delivered correctly. LBS said WOW looks sweet. Much more burly than from prior years. I have all my components (old and new) and will have him build it up. Will take pictures once it is all together.
    Hopefully yours will arrive sometime this week...

USB Rep'n
    Quote Originally Posted by daddy2
    Santa Cruz delivered my new Chameleon frame today.. I called my LBS back and I stayed on the phone while he opened up the box.. I just wanted to jump through the phone to get a glimpse. I waited long enough open it up already.. Patience is a virtue, I heard that somewhere
    Anyway the order was placed and delivered correctly. LBS said WOW looks sweet. Much more burly than from prior years. I have all my components (old and new) and will have him build it up. Will take pictures once it is all together.
    Hopefully yours will arrive sometime this week...

RIGHT ON!!!!!!!!!!!!! Good for you my man, I bet you are gonna love it (based on the fact I have never heard of anyone not loving it!). What color did you go with btw??

My LBS is open today at 10 am so I figure I'll be on the horn around 10:03 trying to get some/any info. Hopefully, good news too. Like you, all my parts are sitting in a box (or two) and waiting for my build so Im looking for some good karma and the brown Santa tohit the LBS !!!

Enjoy Daddy! Peace!

eh-nay Ityopia!

Portable curmudgeon

My "long" wait

No horror story here. I feel pretty fortunate because the wait for my pre-owned root beer XL Chameleon was about 15 minutes - the time it took to say "giddyup" to the seller, leave my wife behind as a good faith gesture, walk out of the bike swap (buying a pair of bar ends on the way), drive to my credit union, withdraw some cash, get back, pay the man, reclaim my wife, and take delivery of the Lizard. Of course, now it just sits while I sort out the build and my bike budget. It'll be great to see yours built up, namaSSte, and please don't mind if I steal any spec ideas from you...

Bike down,
    =Jason=

USB Rep'n
    Quote Originally Posted by P-Funk
    That really sucks namaSSte. I had a similar wait time (10 weeks) for my 5 Spot.
    If it makes you feel any better I just installed a new King headset on my Chameleon.
    I'll post a pic of it tonight when I get home. Are the trails rideable right now in OH?

ahhhhhhhh! 10 weeks might put me over the top! glad to hear yours is eating dirt already, definitely post a pic!

as for Ohio, believe it or not, we rode Sunday and last night and it was bone dry! I forgot what it felt like to go fast and lean into turns. I know we'll have some bad stuff still but these glimpses into what lies ahead keep the spirits up (even with no Chameleon )

eh-nay Ityopia!

USB Rep'n
    Quote Originally Posted by AZBound
    No horror story here. I feel pretty fortunate because the wait for my pre-owned root beer XL Chameleon was about 15 minutes - the time it took to say "giddyup" to the seller, leave my wife behind as a good faith gesture, walk out of the bike swap (buying a pair of bar ends on the way), drive to my credit union, withdraw some cash, get back, pay the man, reclaim my wife, and take delivery of the Lizard. Of course, now it just sits while I sort out the build and my bike budget. It'll be great to see yours built up, namaSSte, and please don't mind if I steal any spec ideas from you...

Bike down,
    =Jason=

no worries at all Jason. So let me get this straight, you can use a wife as collateral??? Why didn't I ever think of that?? Brilliant (said in Guiness commercial voice!). Hows that rootbeer look in person?

eh-nay Ityopia!

Portable curmudgeon

Life is a beer commercial

Quote Originally Posted by namaSSte
    ...wife as collateral...Hows that rootbeer look in person?
    Well heck, I wasn't going to leave actual money with a stranger. Besides, like I said, I needed my cash for buying other stuff on the way back to my car. No worries - the seller and his GF were interesting conversationalists and had two friendly spaniels with them, so my wife had plenty to occupy her time while I was away raiding the checking account. The bike swap also provided her with a sussy fork for her VooDoo Nzumbi, making the swap a good day for both of us.

The root beer looks wonderful in person. I assume its a "trans" color (clear over polished) because there's this "depth" to the paint. Its every bit as nice as everyone over on the SC forum says it is, and it really does appear to lighten and darken depending on lighting. I generally wouldn't care a whole lot how a production bike looks paint-wise, but had I purchased new, I would have wanted root beer (or maybe apple green) anyway. I tend to prefer subdued-looking bikes that blend into the lanscape a bit, and with the lingering drought in Arizona, there's plenty of brown around. I'll need to switch to apple green if the precipitation ever gets back to normal, right?

Black components and a camoflaged SDG saddle will help with being low-key. Now if I could just get the big logo stickers off the Planet-X rigid fork I bought for it...

=Jason=

USB Rep'n
    Quote Originally Posted by AZBound
    Well heck, I wasn't going to leave actual money with a stranger.
    =Jason=
    lmao! so true! I know what you mean on stickers too (fork reference). I have a Sherman going on mine and would love to get those things off (I think it will be easy though). Here's the build Im starting with (subject to change when new-part-itis kicks in).

Fork: Sherman Firefly
    BB Truvativ GigaPipe Team DH
    Crank Truvativ Hussefelt w/ E13 guard
    Pedals Wellgo B25 flats (or eggbeaters for XC)
    Wheels Rhyno Lites laced to XT disc hubs
    Brakes Hayes disc up front, Shimano V in the back
    Levers Avid Mags
    Saddle Azonic Hot Seat
    Bars Easton Monkelite
    Post & Stem Dimension (generic really 0 deg x 50mm)
    Grips ODI Rogue lock ons
    Tires Kenda Kinetics (2.35")
    HS FSA Pig

As you can see, I had to skimp on a few things for budget reasons (wife induced beleive it or not) but thats the basic setup. It'll be an urban/jump/park bike for the most part but I may swap parts from the Blizzard now and then to make it XC'able too. Shoot me a pm or email if you wanna talk setup or anything, maybe we'll come up sith something brilliant!

BTW, I spoke to the LBS and the answer was "it's on order". As always, helpful and responsive. I do all my own work on the bike and Im glad I do. There are some great LBS's out there Im sure but for the most part, the one's around me simply don't get what it means to be sensitive to a customers needs. I'll consider it another lesson learned.

eh-nay Ityopia!

mtbr member
    I'm still waiting on my gloss Orange Chameleon. Last friday I was to the LBS. He had received a new V10 from SCB that Thursday, but no Chameleon.
    And yes, the stickers on Shermans are very easy to take off. In fact, if the '04 are anything like the '03's they are begging to come off and are already started for you.

Here's what my build will be whenever the frame arrives.

'04 Chameleon (medium, orange)
    '04 Sherman Firefly (90mm-130mm adj., Firm Spring Option, 20mm Thruaxle)
    Brakes - Hope Mono Minis
    Rims - Mavic EX823's
    R Hub - Chris King SS Disc
    F Hub - DT Swiss Hugi FR 20mm
    Spokes - DT Swiss Champion
    Headset - Chris King NoThreadSet
    Stem - Thomson 0degreesx50mm
    Bar - Easton EA70, 2.5" Rise
    Grips - Lock-On Yeti
    Cranks/BB - RNC Pro Cranks (Titanium Spindle, chainwheel interface)
    Pedals - Odyssey Jim C (magnesium, sealed bearings)
    Chainwheel - McNeil Guard Sprocket (or E13 Chainwheel w/ E13 Supercharger)
    Chain - Undecided
    Seatpost - Thomson
    Saddle - Titec El Norte
    Tires - Maxxis Hookworms (single ply) & High Roller UST's (for trails)

USB Rep'n
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotian Lotion
    Tires - Maxxis Hookworms (single ply)
    nice build man!!! I forgot to mention that I am using single ply Hookworms as well for non dirt stuff. Its amazing how much lighter they are than the old 2 plys.

eh-nay Ityopia!

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

... and if we just ... vicarious living...

ahhh, the sweet, creak-free bliss of my SSanta cruz. as promised, i rode her last night. 1.5 hours, 14 miles, 1,500 feet of climbing, one huge grin.

i'm now running it at 34:20, thanks to the gear change necessitated by the new cranks. it's a bit spinny on the flat sections, but there aren't many flat sections on my local trails, so it's all good for now. perhaps in a month (when i am strong like ox) i'll up it to a 19t.

your rootbeer frame is going to be b1tchen. my duke blue looks so fine that my rides are starting to take longer because people keep stopping me to tell me how fiiiiiine my ride is.
    [size=1][/size]

USB Rep'n
    ahhh, the sweet, creak-free bliss of my SSanta cruz. as promised, i rode her last night. 1.5 hours, 14 miles, 1,500 feet of climbing, one huge grin.

i'm now running it at 34:20, thanks to the gear change necessitated by the new cranks. it's a bit spinny on the flat sections, but there aren't many flat sections on my local trails, so it's all good for now. perhaps in a month (when i am strong like ox) i'll up it to a 19t.

your rootbeer frame is going to be b1tchen. my duke blue looks so fine that my rides are starting to take longer because people keep stopping me to tell me how fiiiiiine my ride is.
    that is so great to hear! sounds like you'll be getting home too late to even much some of those fish tacos! maybe you can pack some into a camelback or better yet, put em in a blender and make a protein drink out of them. you gonna post a pic of that new baby for me to drool over??

eh-nay Ityopia!

USB Rep'n

Update - not good at all either!

Freakin LBS! I finally called SC after getting no love at all from the LBS. I was told that the frame order wasn't placed until two weeks after I ordered it for starters. Then Eric @ SC (very cool guy by the way - he really didn't ahve to help me out on this) told me that they didn't even have frames in. Maybe end of this month, then paint. This bl@ws! I'm half tempted to cancel the freakin order and just buy something different. Maybe do a custom or something. I relly want the liz but frankly, the fun went out of this purchase a while ago.

eh-nay Ityopia!

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

that does suck.

and hard. you're not likely to find one in your size & color by just randomly calling dealers, i suppose.

it'd probably take much longer to pick a custom builder and go that route. you could look at a kona cowan. those are really cool, very affordable and might suit you well. plus, they are readily available.
    [size=1][/size]

USB Rep'n
    and hard. you're not likely to find one in your size & color by just randomly calling dealers, i suppose.

it'd probably take much longer to pick a custom builder and go that route. you could look at a kona cowan. those are really cool, very affordable and might suit you well. plus, they are readily available.
    ya know, there's a dealer about 2 miles from the SC dealer that has a Cowan (in my size) hanging on the wall. He wants $350 for it, I think. I know nothing about the frame though, enlighten me.

eh-nay Ityopia!

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

slowSSer just got one

and i know one other guy who has one. the other guy is an uber-hucker and dirt jump fanatic, so i'm sure it's a solid choice. i've seen (and fondled) cowans at The Path (www.thepathbikeshop.com) and they are sweet. they have the nifty sliding droputs like the exploSSif and the new 04 unit, and are disc only.

never ridden one, but for a park/urban and free-ridey rig, i'm sure that'd be a good choice.
    [size=1][/size]

Daddy of 3 now!

New question here. Seatpost; Layback or Straight ???

Need some input, before I make the purchase...
    I need one more part to complete the package on my new '04 Chameleon.. Need help on the type of post to use. I recently sold my Large '03 Bullit Frame with a Thomson straight post with a 90mm stem and it seemed to be a little cramped. I know it really didn't matter because I was usually off and behind the seat bombing downhill single track. I'm 5' 11'' with 31 inseam. Longer upper torso with shorter legs. Should I go with the straight or layback version? How much of a diff. is the layback.. I plan on building using my used 90mm, but will upgrade to a 100mm soon.
    The reason I am asking is that I heard that with the radical sloping top tube you need to use alot of post exposed..
    Any suggestion will be greatly appreciated... I am building up this w/e and need to order by noon tomorrow.
    thanks!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast