mtbr member

Salsa Shaft Seatpost...any experience

I'm down to the last two parts for my SS.

I need a seatpost and seatpost clamp. Price is always a consideration...Thomson is out of my price range.

Does anyone have experience with the Salsa Shaft seapost?

It will be going on a rigid JabberWocky. A Salsa Lip-lock will be used to keep it in place.

If not Salsa, I need a another brand, same price range 27.2, 350mm, with a 20mm offset...bad knees.

Almost there!

Thanks

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I have an older version of it on my Heckler. Love it. Easy to adjust. I would buy it again in a heartbeat.

Shut up and ride
    I run one, it outlasted my frame. actually just installed it on the new bike.
    Works fine as long as you keep the bolts tight.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I'll be picking mine up that I ordered from the LBS today/tomorrow. I'll let you know.

Terror of Sidewalls
    Jul 2007
    No experience the Salsa, but I threw one of these on my recent budget build.

http://www.blueskycycling.com/produc...C-Seatpost.htm

5 g more than the shaft, and only ~18 mm offset, though a setback Thomson is only 16mm FWIW.

The Salsa posts work very well. Not as easy to use or burly (or artful) as Thomson, but works just dandy.

mtbr member
    I'm happy with my Salsa. Eccentrics are always fun to use.

agu
    mtbr member
    been using the Shaft since I built up my Caballero more than a few years ago. Hasn't given up on me yet and has been through several frames already. I got the old version with the block-letter graphics (not the classic Salsa font).

Had issues with it creaking but keeping it clean and torqued down to spec has seen it stay put and quiet since.

Been tempted by the Thomsons but I can't justify the $!

Oh and yes, go for the seatclamp too!
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ionsmuse
    The Salsa posts work very well. Not as easy to use or burly (or artful) as Thomson, but works just dandy.
    I think the Salsa is much easier to use than my Thomson. It is not as big a pain in the ass to actually put the saddle on the post. And the eccentric makes adjustments a friggin' snap. If Salsa made a silver post, I would have that rather than the Thomson for my new SS build.

Happy in Happy Valley
    Jun 2008
    The Shaft is a nice post. I've had one for a looong time (5+ years?) and it's going strong. I wish they made it in 30.9 so I could use it on my new bike as well.
    Rigid Surly 1x1 650b--------Fixed CrossCheck--------Surly Pacer-------Salsa Ala Carte

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by larryo108
    I think the Salsa is much easier to use than my Thomson. It is not as big a pain in the ass to actually put the saddle on the post. And the eccentric makes adjustments a friggin' snap. If Salsa made a silver post, I would have that rather than the Thomson for my new SS build.
    They don't? There are two 27.2 silver Salsa's sitting at my LBS.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I bought one for my pugsley. My problem was that it did not have enough saddle angle adjustment. I could not get my saddle level, it went from nose way up to nose slightly up. I ended up having to get a different post.
    =========================================
    Minnesota Off Road Cyclists www.morcmtb.org

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Schmucker
    They don't? There are two 27.2 silver Salsa's sitting at my LBS.
    No ****? The website only lists black. That's what I get for always believing the interweb. Damnit. Well if the Thomson proves to continue to be a hassle, I may swap it out for a Salsa unit. Like I said, I would gladly buy another one.

mtbr member
    Salsa posts are nice, Swobo makes a nice inexpensive post as well.

mtbr member

Thanks

I'm going to pick up a "Shaft" and a "Lip-lock".

Just need brake cables and housings.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    If your frame has a seriously sloping top tube, and I would bet that the Jabber does, there is a lot of seatpost exposed. If this is the case, AND if you weigh as much as I do (~190-200lbs depending on the day) you WILL bend a Salsa. I bent mine last season on my Niner SIR9. That said I had one on a road bike for years, as well as an FS geared bike for 2 years, no problems, but neither had much seatpost exposure.

I would recommend the Thompson Layback seatpost, that's what I got and it works great.

mtbr member

ooof....

I weigh 167 - 170, 165 after I download.

mtbr member
    iKona,

I just bought a new seat post. I've got a spare Thomson Elite if you want it for a cheap price.

Shoot me an email if you want it.

Kane.robbie@gmail.com

mtbr member
    nevermind. didn't know you need a 20 mm offset.

lo siento!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Well, I got my post installed. Very nice. I like the offset. Adjusted pretty easily. Sufficient range. I can see how some people with very slack or steep seat tubes may have some problems with the range of adjustment if you have an odd saddle or prefer a strange angle.