mtbr member

Salsa Selma TI frame reviews...

Looking to get one of these sweet frames. Anybody want to comment? Or should I go somewhere else for a TI frame...
    Just ride and quit bit$hin.......Yeti SB5+..SIR9 SS...CD Synapse DA...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dancruz View Post
    Looking to get one of these sweet frames. Anybody want to comment? Or should I go somewhere else for a TI frame...
    I like Salsa's frames. Great stuff. I have had two Mamasitas. The Ti Selma is on my short list of new SS frames.
    However, there are cheaper and better options for Ti frames. The first that comes to mind for me is Carver. Carver offers a Ti SS 29er frame with Ti sliding dropouts for $1400. Cheaper than the Selma and you can get custom options/geometry.
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I think the Selma Ti is one of the best deals out there. (Mine is due in 3 weeks)
    The Alternator dropouts have received rave reviews. The option to run SS or geared provides for a bike that can do it all. Couple this with the fact that Salsa/Revelate is coming out with frame bags custom to the El Mariachi (same geometry) for bike-packing, and the functionality is truly endless.

I think now is the time to pick up the Selma Ti as you never know what Salsa (or their parent company) will do to meet the huge demand of these bikes in future years.

mtbr member

New question here.

Quote Originally Posted by adinpapa View Post
    I think the Selma Ti is one of the best deals out there. (Mine is due in 3 weeks)
    Curious what you paid for it

mtbr member
    Can't find any prices on the frame...care to share...

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I was quoted complete El Mar Ti 2012 for about $2,900
    Selma Ti frame only will be around $1,600... though not confirmed yet.

mtbr member
    I can find several sources of Selmas for $1800 - $1900 range. But they were all backordered for them too.
    I am surprised the El Mariachi is so much more. Why is it so much more?

I go back to the Carver option. $1400 for a stock Ti frame with sliders. They will do custom geometry at that price point. There is a number of options available for extra. Seems like a far better deal than the Selma. Can somebody show me where I am wrong? Is there a reason to go with the Selma over the Carver?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Is Carver's slider as proven as the Alternator ? Selma Ti frame is made by Lynskey .
    Either way the ti experience will treat you very well.

M_S
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I have a friend who loves his Selma. He says it is his dream bike. But he owns a small shop which is a Salsa dealer, so of course his price was much lower than what most of us would pay.

I can say that the frames are not indestructable. There was a notorious downed log on a local trail for a couple of days, right after a fast, blind turn. He broke his frame hitting it, but I think it would have done any frame in. Another guy broke his collarbone in the same spot the day before.

Up close it is a gorgeous frame and the alternator dropouts are slick.
    - Simon

mtbr member

... and if we just ...

Quote Originally Posted by M_S View Post
    I have a friend who loves his Selma. He says it is his dream bike. But he owns a small shop which is a Salsa dealer, so of course his price was much lower than what most of us would pay.

I can say that the frames are not indestructable. There was a notorious downed log on a local trail for a couple of days, right after a fast, blind turn. He broke his frame hitting it, but I think it would have done any frame in. Another guy broke his collarbone in the same spot the day before.

Up close it is a gorgeous frame and the alternator dropouts are slick.
    I would like to talk to your friend. Can you tell him to PM me his shop number. Maybe I will buy a frame from him....Thanks D

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by adinpapa View Post
    Is Carver's slider as proven as the Alternator ? Selma Ti frame is made by Lynskey.
    I can only tell you my two friends with Carvers have had no issues with their sliders.

Its good to know who makes the Salsa frame. I assumed it was made in Taiwan like the rest of their frames.

mtbr member
    So nothing more then a ridgeline frame......

mtbr member
    Not necessarily, the tubing is spec'd by Salsa and is only welded by Lynskey.

mtbr member
    This is one of the most underrated SS frames out there. There really hasn't been a whole lot posted on this frame. My only rationale for this is everyone is so damn happy with their frames they spend the time riding them rather than posting on the web. I haven't seen many on the trails, but see that no one has them in stock (got really lucky getting mine). Can't really say what I paid, as it was partly a crash replacement.

I've had mine for a few months and have racked up the miles on it quickly. It is a solid frame and pretty stiff for a Ti, but stiff in the right places (bottom bracket). I believe this is due to the tubing and design. The frame isn't heavy, but isn't super light. Previously had a One9, which was lighter.

I am loving Salsa' alternator dropout. It really is a great design and much better than a EBB.

This is not a Ridgeline. While it is made by Lynskey (very impressed with the quality of the welds), it is Salsa's design and specs (including the tubing).

I wouldn't hesitate to buy another. In fact, I'd love a Ti El Mar. to go along with it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Salsa Selma TI frame reviews...-img_0240.jpg  

Salsa Selma TI frame reviews...-img_0313.jpg  

mtbr member
    Thanks Mattyd...getting closer to ordering one.

mtbr member
    I'm going for a ti fargo 1st. Then one of those beauties.

mtbr member
    What about a comparison between the old selma w the carbon stays and scandium triangle vs the ti? I'm curious to know if the ti selma is stiffer and more ride compliant.. Any thoughts here?
    2017 Spec Epic Expert WC
    2016 Trek Superfly SS (32x21)

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by 1-bar View Post
    What about a comparison between the old selma w the carbon stays and scandium triangle vs the ti? I'm curious to know if the ti selma is stiffer and more ride compliant.. Any thoughts here?
    I have the Scandium version now and am building the new Ti verison hopefully this weekend. Stay tuned.

"If it ain't moto, it's worthless"

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I have one of the newer ones, just got it built up right before Christmas. I have maybe 100 miles on it so far and I'm pretty darn impressed. I can only compare it to aluminum / scandium bikes, it is my first Ti frame. I was concerned it might feel flexy or something - it doesn't. It certainly takes the edge off a bit compared to my previous bikes, but it feels spot on stiff and predictable when climbing, when in turns, etc. I'm running it single speed with a Niner carbon fork. Couldn't be happier.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by architectx View Post
    I have one of the newer ones, just got it built up right before Christmas. I have maybe 100 miles on it so far and I'm pretty darn impressed. I can only compare it to aluminum / scandium bikes, it is my first Ti frame. I was concerned it might feel flexy or something - it doesn't. It certainly takes the edge off a bit compared to my previous bikes, but it feels spot on stiff and predictable when climbing, when in turns, etc. I'm running it single speed with a Niner carbon fork. Couldn't be happier.
    I thinking of setting it up the same way........Got any pics?...would be cool....

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    tomorrow I pick up my Whisky carbon fork to grace my Selma Ti '12 frame. I am really impressed with all I've seen of all the Whisky stuff... the downplayed branding is appealing (especially compared to Niner) Hopefully will have some time to post some pics this weekend. Build list is evolving

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1-bar View Post
    While I can't compare it to the original Selma, I can compare it to the Mamasita (same frame without the ebb). First of all, I loved the Mamasita (which I bought and built up as a SS with an ENO hub before the Selma was released). The Ti Selma is a much sturdier frame - it feels pretty darn solid. It absorbs more of the bumps and is less rigid than the Mama, but actually feels stiffer laterally. It is a damn sturdy bike. As far as weight, they were pretty close, but the Mama was a bit lighter. Really wish I didn't crack the seat stay (the carbon failed in a spot that had been marked in a crash a year earlier - but this allowed me to get the Ti).

Great bikes. Wish I still had one of each.

Here's a few more of the old and the new:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Salsa Selma TI frame reviews...-img_0148.jpg  

Salsa Selma TI frame reviews...-5772931828_d5f88a55dd_b_2.jpg  

Salsa Selma TI frame reviews...-img_0220.jpg  

Salsa Selma TI frame reviews...-screen-shot-2012-01-12-6.32.25-pm.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by dancruz View Post
    I thinking of setting it up the same way........Got any pics?...would be cool....
    I don't yet, but I need to get some soon. I'll try to remember to post them up when I do.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Salsa Selma Ti and Whisky almost complete

(cross posted from 'show your rigid SS')

Not yet complete, but rides like butter. Running 34x22 now . Waiting (patiently) for my Homebrewed Components 32 CR and 21 cog.

Riding technical New England singletrack, I haven't had one encounter that the combo of ti frame/ carbon fork / 2.4 front tire, couldn't tear through.

I expect to be at 20lbs when HBC stuff comes in - but already it's light enough.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Salsa Selma TI frame reviews...-img_0141.jpg  

Salsa Selma TI frame reviews...-img_0107.jpg  

get down!
    Bump! I'm building up a Selma Ti and waiting on parts to arrive...post more pics and reviews please!
    Rudy Projects look ridiculous

visit my blog, BEATS, BIKES & LIFE