Thread: Saddle

mtbr member

Saddle

Today the saddle of my SS broke, it's a Selle Italia ProLink Gel Flow Trans Am with carbon rails. One of the rails broke in half while going down hill, no damage was done; I can consider myself lucky.

My dilema is what saddle to get, I've seen tons of WTB saddles here and that got me wondering. I'll stay away from composite rails from now on, I promise.

I'm looking for a not so expensive, not so heavy saddle that you could ride on for long hours. Any suggestions?

Not because I'm fast.....

WTB is a good choice

WTB Laser V or Rocket V.
    Made with both titanium (expensive) or steel rails (inexpensive, but still pretty light). I also liked the SDG Bel Air saddles too.

blame me for missed rides
    another vote for laser v.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I am a big fan of Terry saddles. WTB's have not worked for me, though I haven't tried one out in the past 2 years. Check out the Zero, which is what I ride, or the Fly, which is quite a bit heavier, but with a lot more padding. Both are extremely comfortable.

Neg reppers r my biatches
    WTB Laser V "Stealth" model is great....I have always used them on my trailbike/FS and Phil Wood SS.....quite light and comfortable.

For my new build, which is almost as comfortable and lighter, I will be going with the WTB Rocket V Stealth. Great saddle and I wish I went with it on the SS since like I said, virtually as comfortable as the Laser but lighter.

Just one note if you do try the Rocket V Stealth, the standard color is an ugly whitish/gray with black. Make sure you specify all black for this saddle. They can be had on ebay almost all the time, new, for low $70s.

Cheers

Reviewer/Tester
    Quote Originally Posted by DiRt DeViL
    Today the saddle of my SS broke, it's a Selle Italia ProLink Gel Flow Trans Am with carbon rails. One of the rails broke in half while going down hill, no damage was done; I can consider myself lucky.

My dilema is what saddle to get, I've seen tons of WTB saddles here and that got me wondering. I'll stay away from composite rails from now on, I promise.

I'm looking for a not so expensive, not so heavy saddle that you could ride on for long hours. Any suggestions?
    Brooks Ti railed B.17 leather saddle...

R.
    Last edited by Rainman; 07-10-2005 at 02:18 PM.
    It is inevitable ...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

get railed

"Re-railed" now there's a fun word.

You can get your Selle Italia saddle re-railed for around $20 by
    ProNet inc. the U.S. Distributor of Selle Italia.

I'll send you the contact info Monday.

cheers,

Josh

Am I getting too bulky?

Cool-blue Rhythm

I've got a ProLink TransAm, non-gelflow, on my fixie, and I like it a lot. But for off road I like my Flite TransAm Max. Pricepoint has a stash of them for like $70. Been thinking of putting a couple away for future use.

Edit: You do realize, that the rails are not actually carbon, but just carbon look. The rails are cromo, and the saddle is a tank. You won't have a hard time finding a saddle the lighter.
    Last edited by Bikehigh; 07-10-2005 at 04:08 PM.
    I gotta roll, can't stand still, got a flame in my heart, can't get my fill.

paintbucket
    Why switch? If the Selle Italias fit your butt, you should stick with them.
    When the going gets weird its bedtime.

To legit to quit
    I'll running a WTB lazer V on my ss until I get a brooks b17 champion special. somethings are just gonna have to get upgraded later on, but it's almost rolling
    MySpace.com/DansJustChillin
    MySpace.com/DirtyBobbysBikes

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Contact info

Here's the contact info for ProNet if anyone wants to get their Selle Italia re-railed.

ProNet
    910 n. Cambriam
    Bremerton, WA 98312

1-800-279-3793

booyaa

King Pin

Good job! Bike Tony!

There's a guy on Ebay, goes by biketony. I've been buying lots and lots of WTB Mutanoraptor 2.24" kevlar tires from him (for pennies on the dollar!) as well as a few Selle San Marco Azoto saddles. I've been snagging these leather covered seats for $5.00 each, and am quite pleased with 'em!

Not as comfy as my well broken-in Brooks Professional, but I must say my butt likes 'em better than the Selle Italia Genuine Gel....!

Just received four brand new Mutano's and a Selle San Marco Azoto saddle for fifty eight bucks, shipped.

Sofa King We Todd Did
    As you well know, saddles are definitely a personal thing, if not a personal preference thing. I've tried pretty much every make of WTB saddles and it turns out that I got it right the first time with the WTB Rocket V Race. That's the saddle with the upflip in the rear to provide an added 'lift' for my fat ass. I tried the Speed model and the downsloping rear section wasn't anywhere near as comfortable. The Pure seems to be compromise between the two but still no match for the Rocket.

That's why I've narrowed down my saddle choices to two models only - the WTB Rocket V Race for dirt riding and the Brooks B17 for road riding. My ass loves them both and since I love my ass, I'll only be treating my ass to these two saddle from here on end.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by speedoxc
    Here's the contact info for ProNet if anyone wants to get their Selle Italia re-railed.

ProNet
    910 n. Cambriam
    Bremerton, WA 98312

1-800-279-3793

booyaa
    Thanks a lot speedo, I love that saddle and is almost new. Do you know if they also replace the leathers? I have another prolink with the leather all screwed up.

Will give the ProNet guys a ring for shure.

Edit: Gave them a call and all I have to do is mail the saddles and they'll see if warranty applies and based on that fix it. They're also going to see if they can fix another one that I have that broke on the stiches.
    Last edited by DiRt DeViL; 07-11-2005 at 04:44 PM.

King Pin

Cool-blue Rhythm B17 suckage.

The Brooks Pro is so much mo betta. Unless you are a little skinny guy, which I know you ain't.

I swore by the B17 until trying the Pro.....night and day difference. The seventeen is just TOO wide for our hips, eh??

Quote Originally Posted by SpinWheelz
    As you well know, saddles are definitely a personal thing, if not a personal preference thing. I've tried pretty much every make of WTB saddles and it turns out that I got it right the first time with the WTB Rocket V Race. That's the saddle with the upflip in the rear to provide an added 'lift' for my fat ass. I tried the Speed model and the downsloping rear section wasn't anywhere near as comfortable. The Pure seems to be compromise between the two but still no match for the Rocket.

That's why I've narrowed down my saddle choices to two models only - the WTB Rocket V Race for dirt riding and the Brooks B17 for road riding. My ass loves them both and since I love my ass, I'll only be treating my ass to these two saddle from here on end.

Sofa King We Todd Did
    The fat ass comments are a total ruse. I have the ass of a supermodel. Way to come clean on your superlarge derriere, though!

mtbr member

Update

Just a quick update, as speedo mentioned I called the folks at ProNet in order to send my broken ProLink saddle. They were very cool folks to talk with and told me to ship them all the saddles that I had with problems to see if warranty applied or not.

I did so and sent 2 from my mtbs and the oem saddle that came with my roadie that after 5 rides the leather separated from the shell.

I just received my saddles, the roadie saddle was replaced as warranty. One of the ProLinks was not worked on because the damage was cause by normal wear and tear and the only that the rails broke was re-railed as courtesy.

This guys have excellent customer service and are great to deal with, I didn't even paid for shipping, what else can I ask for. I'm a happy camper