Thread: S&S Couplings

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

S&S Couplings

Has anyone got S&S Couplings on their SS bikes. Did you get it on the bike when built or done as a retro fit.
    Your opinions and or reveiws would be appreciated, thanks.

Probably drunk right now

Frank Tuesday

Quote Originally Posted by neville
    Has anyone got S&S Couplings on their SS bikes. Did you get it on the bike when built or done as a retro fit.
    Frank Tuesday has S&S couplers. He's been riding his bike for about a year with them.

The next bike I have built will have S&S couplers.

Ken

mtbr member

retrofit

to a curtlo singlespeed.

absolute bliss. you will not regret getting them if you travel with any frequency.

specific q's...fire away.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by dRjOn
    to a curtlo singlespeed.

absolute bliss. you will not regret getting them if you travel with any frequency.

specific q's...fire away.
    Thanks.
    Do you notice any flex. Do they seem to be very durable( wear due to use).
    Are you using Disc or canti brakes, if disc is it possible to use hydro brakes or only cables with splitters.

try driving your car less
    I lust after S&S couplers on a bike. They are just really expensive, which might not be a problem for you. When you figure the retrofit, the case and all the doodads, it's like $800 for a steel bike, and over $1k for ti. You have to travel alot to make it worthwhile. And to places with great riding and no rental bikes. And cannot receive packages (mail your bike ahead of time). I just rent a bike wherever I go, but end up riding totally crap bikes or not riding at all.

roadbikereview.com has some people who have them, as do some local riders here. Everyone says that they are great. You don't notice them when riding, and they add minimal weight.

For the disc brake thing, get one with levers with 2 bolts, so you just remove the lever and let it dangle. Just bring more zipties.

I still want a bike with the couplers... but it can wait.

You should get it, though!
    Only boring people get bored.

mtbr member

answers:

no flex what so ever.
    no wear whatsoever.
    i dont use cable splitters, i have cantilevers and just unhok cable from brake lever. ii reckon with a bit of cunning or lock on grips you could use hydraulics and simply remove levrs from bars or remove bars from fork/stem. you do need to spend some time fettling to get packing just so..
    only issue with the discs would be the rotors and whether it would take up more volume in box. i have a custom slightly bigger box so i can pack lots of other stuff in there. still never had any issues wiith airlines. no chares ever....

mtbr member

I have a Ti coupled bike

I too lusted after an S&S coupled bike for a while. I travel a bit and got sick of trying to find crappy rental bikes, and then having the store tell me "Sorry, there is a 20% chance of rain today so we are not renting bikes!" I decided I really wanted the frame to be Ti to avoid paint chipping and scratching during transit, so that is the route I took. BTW, I had no idea what a singlespeed was at the time, like 3 years ago, so this would be a geared bike. I searched Ebay for a while for a good used Ti frame or bike and scored a Cove Hummer complete bike (Marathon fork XT & XTR) for like $800. I sold some of the parts because I already had some I wanted to use. Next I stripped the frame and sent it to Bilinky Cycle Works, and in a couple of weeks I had my frame back with nice shiny S&S couplers.

So anyway, the bike rides great! I did not ride the frame before the couplers were added, so I cannot compare stiffness between with and without. But I will say that I am 100%sure the frame is stiffer with the couplers than without, they are very beefy and strong. Unless you look down at the bike while riding, you will never know they are there. The bike originally had shifters with cable splitters, and for the brakes I just removed the cable from the brake levers. I rode the bike like this for about 3 years, and it has been perfect. After catching the singlespeed bug this year, I eyed the bike for conversion, and found it works without a tensioner. Assembly was definately a little easier without the shifters and stuff! Also, I did not buy the S&S case, I bought a Jumbo suitcase, which is like 26"x30", but looks like a suitcase. I have never been charged extra or asked what was in the case. Just watch the weight when you fly, it is very tempting to throw everything else in the case too where there is room. I have noticed the airlines are getting more strict about their weight limit which is 50 lbs.

Let me know if have any questions, and I say go for it! The only negative is a little added weight, which is well worth being able to ride you bike wherever and whenever you travel for free (after the initial payment of course!) An added bonus is you are more likely to bring your bike when you travel and ride in cool new places. I just got back from San Francisco and rode Tamarancho and Annadel, and had a blast!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Thanks

I'm just waiting to find out if I.F will do a retro fit for my bike. If not I will use Bilinky Cycle Works. Thanks for the reply.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Retrotec with Couplings

Don't know if this has been posted before, but I just noticed it on S&S today.

Mmmmm... Retrotec