mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Running a Surly steel drivetrain? Happy?

I'm looking to upgrade the stock alloy chainring and stamped steel cog on my Kona Unit. My main priorities are durability & reliability. And, of course, I don't want to spend more than I need.

It looks like the Surly stainless ring and steel cog would be a good choice. I especially like the wide base on the cog to save my freehub body a little wear & tear, since the stock cog did it no favors.

Does anyone run this setup? If so, are you happy with it?

Thanks.

Steve

Rohloff
    I'm running a Surly chainring and cog and it's working well. It should perform just as you want.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Yep same here, surly chainring and cog with a new 8spd kmc chain. Check ISAR's stuff if you want to add a little bling.

Did I catch a niner+?
    I run a 33T front chainring from Surly and it does quite well for the few rides I had on it. It replaced a 32t XT composite/steel ring. The rings are durable there is no question about that but they are heavier then most I have used/felt.
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?

mtbr member
    I have a chainring. It seems to be lasting forever.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Running Surly 34T with a Surly 21T cog with a sram 850 or 870 chain. No problems I have gone thru several chains but same ring/cog.

Apr 2007
    I've run Surly chainring/cogs for many miles with zero issues. Good durability. Highly recommended. This season, I'm trying out ISAR's stuff.

Drinking the Slick_Juice
    if you have a 5 bolt crank arm you wont have a problem (i have this setup), if you have a 4 bolt crank arm you might have the infamous tacoed ring.
    "If women don't find handsome , they should at least find you handy."-Red Green

Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by nuck_chorris
    if you have a 5 bolt crank arm you wont have a problem (i have this setup), if you have a 4 bolt crank arm you might have the infamous tacoed ring.
    I've only used a 4-bolt and have not had any issues. I've read where others have, but whether that's product or user fault, who knows. I think it makes sense to keep the 4-bolt chainrings to 33-32T.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by p nut
    I've only used a 4-bolt and have not had any issues. I've read where others have, but whether that's product or user fault, who knows. I think it makes sense to keep the 4-bolt chainrings to 33-32T.

I'll be using mine with a 4-bolt, 104mm Shimano XT crank.

My current gearing is 32/18. But, I'm moving to 33/18 with the Surly setup. I was considering 32/17. But, I'd rather have to buy an additional cog than another chainring if I want to make another jump to a harder gear. The 32t alloy chainring seemed to be fine. So, hopefully, a 33t stainless chainring will not be any weaker.

Are the tacoed Surly chainring reports from hitting things (logs, rocks, etc.), or simply a matter of the chainring folding under heavy load? If the latter, are they being replaced under Surly's warranty?

Steve

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Both. You can just bend it right back but I scrapped mine after I folded it on the first ride. They're made of too soft of a stainless to be functional as a chainring.

aka "SirLurkAlot"
    Mar 2010
    I have been running 4 bolt surly chain rings (32) with surly cogs for years on both of my bikes. I have never bent one but I also don't beat on my equipment. I can't imagine that aluminum would fare any better.

I haven't had any issues so ....

I just ordered a 5 bolt for my new build because they just work.

mtbr member
    I once bent a 36t Surly ring on a 4 bolt crank, but my current 110mm 5 bolt 36t Surly Stainless ring has been doing fine for over 2 years.
    Ride more!

Fixed and single.
    +1. They are less tolerant of being dinged on rocks and logs(user error).
    "Those are some good humans."

Teen Wolf

ding... i'm not a big or powerful guy (5'8" 150lbs wet) and taco'd mine within a month or 2 of owning it. the cogs are great, i wouldn't buy another chainring from them though after the last one barely lasted.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I have the 32T cog and the thing is a tank. i cant really see that thing wearing out anytime soon!

Mtbr Forum Sponsor - Homebrewed Components
    Jul 2006
    I would not get a stainless ring. The yield strength of 300 series stainless (what Surly uses) is REALLY low, much lower than aluminum. This means it'll bend really easily.
    I tacoed one after a short period of time, and i didn't hit anything either. I was just climbing a hill. Before that happened, it would bend the teeth over 90 degrees on a regular occurance. I'm guessing the frame had a little flex, allowing the chain to jump around a bit under load and it probably caught a tooth the wrong way and bent.

mtbr member
    so just get a bash

Members who have read this thread: 1