Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Roll Call: SART gathering May 23rd

3K views 39 replies 23 participants last post by  HUGH 
#1 ·
Alright, the 23rd is drawing near, and I for one am looking forward to a fun day of riding with ya'll! I am trying to get an rough idea of how many people to expect, so let's see a show of hands from those of you that are planning on riding with us..

I'm in.

#5 ·
Myself, SSped and possibly 2 others will be making the trip!! Got 4 here!!!

#8 ·
Hmmm...

....it shouldn't be too bad. The ride offers a few different options as far as length goes so you should be able to pace yourself with your drive home in mind:) You can't leave before we have dinner at Casa Maya though!

Impy said:
I'm there! SoCal here I come! How insane is it to drive back up to SF after doing this ride?

#15 ·
If I left today, maybe....

I wanna go too!!!! I'm jonesin' for some Socal dirt but alas, it's too far from GA.

Here's my wife on the SART last Oct... 1 week before it got really hot around there.

Even though we brought the gearies, I can see that this trail is 100% SS'able.

It's even more tandemable...

CA, nice place to visit...

#18 ·
Okey dokey

.....9 am ready to ride from the middle control pull out.

Heres the directions: Take highway 38 out of big bear towards redlands......you're going to drive a ways down the mountain until you come to the little town(mini mart and a restaurant) of Angeles Oaks on the right hand side. Once you reach angeles oaks make a U turn and drive back up highway 38 a few hundred yards to the pullout, on the same side of the road as the "town"

The pullout is huge and really can't be missed. I am sure there will be a plethora of bikes and cars in the pullout, but if in doubt, there is a fireroad that leaves the pullout that is marked as middle control road. Hope that helps, Brian

ssmike said:
Time and directions to the meeting place - coming down from Big Bear.

#19 ·
donkey said:
.....9 am ready to ride from the middle control pull out.

Heres the directions: Take highway 38 out of big bear towards redlands......you're going to drive a ways down the mountain until you come to the little town(mini mart and a restaurant) of Angeles Oaks on the right hand side. Once you reach angeles oaks make a U turn and drive back up highway 38 a few hundred yards to the pullout, on the same side of the road as the "town"

The pullout is huge and really can't be missed. I am sure there will be a plethora of bikes and cars in the pullout, but if in doubt, there is a fireroad that leaves the pullout that is marked as middle control road. Hope that helps, Brian
Many thanks. Did I hear that a forest service adventure pass is also needed?

#22 ·
Yup...

....same pass that cleveland requires.

Aahhhh, the black sequined hot pants.....I'm not sure they'd fit Andy, but he is more than welcome to try them on and see what he thinks.....I think they'd look smashing on him..

Stay tuned!

eSSq said:
is it the same one as for the CNF or is it different?

p.s. i think you should wear the black sequined hot pants again. or lend them to andy. :D

#25 ·
I'm in like Flynn

Contemplating a few things though....

If it comes in today, I will have a new Cross-Check frame to build up tonight. If some-one has a set of 700x44 Mutanos that I could borrow for the day, I could run fixed or free (haven't decided yet). Or I could save that descent into madness for a closer to home/shorter more controlled experiment and just ride the SStumpjumper.

#26 ·
Hmmmm.....

.....assuming that you get some dirty shakedown miles between today and sunday, I say go for it. I used to ride the SART on a cross bike all the time, and it is pretty fun. I would probably not recommend trying out your fixxed gear on it though!

As far as tires go, I may have a set of those....I'll have to do a little looking.

As for gearing on a crosser/29er for this trail....I'd go for 32-19 or something like that, but probably not much harder.

gpsser said:
Contemplating a few things though....

If it comes in today, I will have a new Cross-Check frame to build up tonight. If some-one has a set of 700x44 Mutanos that I could borrow for the day, I could run fixed or free (haven't decided yet). Or I could save that descent into madness for a closer to home/shorter more controlled experiment and just ride the SStumpjumper.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.