mtbr member

Rode my single speed tonight for the first time in about a year. Feels good, man.

I built up my single speed (A rigid Jabberwocky) in 2009. I rode it primarily that year. It changed my life. It made me fast, strong, and so sexy, my damn wife got pregnant. I built a Bandersnatch (1x10) last year and shortly after toasted the hub on the Jabber. As it has since the kid came along, life got in the way though, and I had a working bike so I let the Jabber sit on the wall as I worked through the many issues having a young family presents. After all I wasn't riding all that regularly anyway.

But now we're back. The family is stable, my wife and I have moire flexible schedules, solid arrangements and some experience to leverage that lets us get back in to the swing of things. After a few months of absolutely no riding, and a broken bone (grr) I started riding again about 3 weeks ago. I have been riding 3x/wk or so - a morning road ride, an after work mountain ride, and a big weekend mountain ride. I'm already up to 30 miles with 4000 ft of climbing (as of last Saturday). So I ordered up a new hub for the single speed, had the wheel rebuilt, and last night put it on with a new Thomson stem and some bars. Tonight I went out.

Man. The single felt good. Having been riding gears for a bit, some differences on the same trails were immediately noticeable. The bike is so simple and I feel so connected with it. Climbing is a challenge more than a chore. I remember feeling this way when I first rode it but never understood it. I'm stoked to have a working single speed that I can ride again.

I wonder if it will become my primary bike over the next few months. I do like my Bander but this bike just feels so right.
    :wq

Industry Vet
    Jul 2012
    Congrats on the new baby! They are a blessing and a curse but worth it. That's awesome to get back on the single speed too.