zeebot

Rode my first SS race today...

and first i have to ask does the pain eventually go away? i hurt.

and second it was tons of fun.

It was an enduro type race in new jersey and i raced in the sport section. ended up getting 2nd place and rode in total about 42 miles.

There was no SS division so i rode with all those funny squishy geared bikes. they sure are slow and indecisive on hills...

the pain: i ride a full rigid. My pretty strong calluses below the outer three fingers are super sore from the constant wrenching going up hills and gripping going down sketchy downhill stuff. palms are sore from blasting through rock gardens without slowing down. quads are in the worse shape. major cramping on the last two laps. i would've easily gotten first had this not happened.

so i'm looking for some suggestions: i use sidewinder full finger fox gloves and they seem to not work well because they dont stay put when grinding away. are half-finger or a different glove better for ss'ing?

i had water only in my camelbak and felt like i was lacking something bigtime nearing the end of the race even though i didnt really feel fatigued. is there something better to have in there??? i feel like the cramping was caused due to lack of nutrients. i had enough food i think eating every 30ish minutes goo or powerbars.

thanks for any input!

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    and first i have to ask does the pain eventually go away? i hurt.
    Nahhhh, it'll always hurt. That means you're doing it right!

and second it was tons of fun.
    Ain't it?

It was an enduro type race in new jersey and i raced in the sport section. ended up getting 2nd place and rode in total about 42 miles.
    Good job! 42 miles and second place is awesome.

palms are sore from blasting through rock gardens without slowing down.
    If you are going to ride rigid, use squishy wide tires. There are some out there that are 2.4+ that are ~800 grams (Kenda Blue Grooves & Cortez, et. al.). Tires like the Tioga 2.3 DH are also not that heavy, but have thicker sidewalls so you can run lower pressures. Finally, I've never used Stan's but I understand that you can run lower pressures as well without as much worry of flatting.

are half-finger or a different glove better for ss'ing?
    I don't know about that. I've always used full finger gloves for as long as I can remember. I always try to make sure that they always fit perfectly, or are slightly tight so they don't shift as much. But yeah, the calloused part of my palms are what bother me on really bumpy trails.

i had water only in my camelbak and felt like i was lacking something bigtime nearing the end of the race even though i didnt really feel fatigued. is there something better to have in there??? i feel like the cramping was caused due to lack of nutrients. i had enough food i think eating every 30ish minutes goo or powerbars.
    I only put water in my Camelback so it doesn't get skanky and I don't have to clean it as much. Did you have waterbottles with any mixes in them? Everyone's got their favorite; I like Accelerade for the event and Endurox afterwards.

zeebot
    Quote Originally Posted by Drevil
    Nahhhh, it'll always hurt. That means you're doing it right!

Ain't it?

Good job! 42 miles and second place is awesome.

If you are going to ride rigid, use squishy wide tires. There are some out there that are 2.4+ that are ~800 grams (Kenda Blue Grooves & Cortez, et. al.). Tires like the Tioga 2.3 DH are also not that heavy, but have thicker sidewalls so you can run lower pressures. Finally, I've never used Stan's but I understand that you can run lower pressures as well without as much worry of flatting.

I don't know about that. I've always used full finger gloves for as long as I can remember. I always try to make sure that they always fit perfectly, or are slightly tight so they don't shift as much. But yeah, the calloused part of my palms are what bother me on really bumpy trails.

I only put water in my Camelback so it doesn't get skanky and I don't have to clean it as much. Did you have waterbottles with any mixes in them? Everyone's got their favorite; I like Accelerade for the event and Endurox afterwards.
    THanks for the compliment. i'm pretty proud and was rather surprised that i finished that well. i probably would've competed better in expert/semipro/pro but the extra hour they had to ride would have KILLED me. maybe in a month or two...

I didn't have any bottles. in fact i dont even have bottle cages. I'll look into that or if all races have those drop areas like today i could easily just leave something there. that seems like a better option.

i already run stan's and do pretty low pressures slightly below 30psi. i have 2.4 mutano raptors right now but i'm thinking i'll get a heavier tire up front so i can drop the pressure a bit more until i get used to the abusive nature of rock garden descents with no suspension.

gloves dont fit tight but they are by no means loose. i guess i'll just have to go try some more on and look for a snugger fit. my fingers go to the end it's just the palm isnt totally snug. maybe i have long fingers and slim hands. no fat? i suppose i could eat more ben and jerry's...wow that sounds good i might have to hit the deli...

Fat Boy Deluxe
    You've also only been riding singlespeed for about a month, right? Racing definitely takes the pain up a notch and your body will get used to it over time.. You learn the little techniques to help you float through rough areas without suspension. If your calouses are real bad, you might try putting tape over them before putting your gloves on, never tried it, but it might help. I used to have that problem, but eventually the hands just got used to it.

DT

zeebot
    Quote Originally Posted by DmofoT
    You've also only been riding singlespeed for about a month, right? Racing definitely takes the pain up a notch and your body will get used to it over time.. You learn the little techniques to help you float through rough areas without suspension. If your calouses are real bad, you might try putting tape over them before putting your gloves on, never tried it, but it might help. I used to have that problem, but eventually the hands just got used to it.

DT
    yep about a month. yesterday i was just mildly sore and even went for an easy ride with some others from this site. today is a different story. major soreness in my quads where i had the really bad cramps and my hamstrings are also pretty tight.

i'm starting to wonder about the rigid and if it's detrimental to my wrists but i think a lot of that is due to a wreck the week before and i was riding with both of them tender during the race.

34N 118W

nice one!

2nd place??!! very cool.

and I thought the 18 mi. at Sea Otter was tough. FYI I went through a tall bottle of Cytomax during the race, so for 42 mi. I would definitely have some kind of supplement besides water.

congrats on showing up the gearies on a rigid pink bike!
    Jeff

zeebot
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood
    2nd place??!! very cool.

and I thought the 18 mi. at Sea Otter was tough. FYI I went through a tall bottle of Cytomax during the race, so for 42 mi. I would definitely have some kind of supplement besides water.

congrats on showing up the gearies on a rigid pink bike!
    Jeff
    Thanks. Throughout the race i earned a few nicknames from the various people helping on the trail and times. Pinkie was one i heard a few times.

I've seen cytomax mentioned a few times now so i'll have to order some i suppose...

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I was there too ! (beginners though, and even then... I really fell out of shape big time in those bikeless years...).

very nice course, very fun.

Not that my advice will have any credibility, I only did my 4 laps (~ 24 miles) and was already cramping up like crazy in the last lap (hey, I knew it: 2 kids and a 5-months old baby don't leave much time for training), but from what I remember from my road racing years (up to 100 miles) in France, cramps are due to a lack of "volume" training. In other words, you need to train going the distance without signinficantly stopping. And water of course, that goes without saying. Nutrients, provided you ate well 3 hours before the race, are not crucial regarding cramping, although it doesn't hurt to feed regularly for the extra "oomph" at the end.

I did notice your pink 1x1, there were not many singlespeeds over there.

Great job, man !

Maurice

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

RedBull

CytoMax and RedBull. No kidding, a Redbull or two throughout a long long ride really helps me out. Just make sure you stay hydrated. CytoMax just plain rules though. I know this sounds ridiculous but maybe you might want to think of a suspension fork for the epics?

zeebot
    THanks for the advice. I figured training was partly the issue as well. I was flying along at a nice clip and totally crapped out during the last two laps. My legs just basically said, huh huh, we are through. mind said keep pedaling you wimps so i did but at a significantly slower pace on the hills.

I have a nice route at blue mountain i can emulate a race like we rode on saturday so i suppose i'll have to do that at the very least once a week! it will actually be even tougher since it has no flat areas to spin out in. i was VERY thankful for the field and two gravel roads on each lap near the end!

zeebot
    Quote Originally Posted by sloth
    CytoMax and RedBull. No kidding, a Redbull or two throughout a long long ride really helps me out. Just make sure you stay hydrated. CytoMax just plain rules though. I know this sounds ridiculous but maybe you might want to think of a suspension fork for the epics?
    i came very close to buying a fox 80rlt on sunday but i held out!

Master of the Obvious

Try a Jones bar!

I have some pain at times to, and I am saving my coin to buy a jones ti bar for my karate monkey, they are pricey but the concept really makes sense. The jones bar lets you keep your wrist in a more natural position to help avoid stress.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Spookykinkajou
    THanks for the advice. I figured training was partly the issue as well. I was flying along at a nice clip and totally crapped out during the last two laps. My legs just basically said, huh huh, we are through. mind said keep pedaling you wimps so i did but at a significantly slower pace on the hills.

I have a nice route at blue mountain i can emulate a race like we rode on saturday so i suppose i'll have to do that at the very least once a week! it will actually be even tougher since it has no flat areas to spin out in. i was VERY thankful for the field and two gravel roads on each lap near the end!
    I hear you. The last climb before the finish line was a KILLER ! In the first laps, it's all fine and dandy (middle ring and all, I hope I'm not commiting a sacrilege in this forum ), but before the finish I had trouble climbing it on foot !

Actually I'm in the process of building my own SS with an old Vitus CrMo frame, Tange fork and rim brakes (I'll be painting it plain black, not pink ). I used to ride full rigid years ago, and do remember terrible wrists and hands pain. The key at the time was to relax and eventually the wrists and hands did strengthen up, so I'm not afraid to switch back from a 5" to no travel at all. Again, I do remember that rest was as crucial as training. Too much training too close from one another would cause tendon strains: sane sleep and recovery after stress is what builds up reserves and strengthens tendons (to some extent: if the pain becomes chronic you need to start making concessions).

Racing is very fun, and as long as you stay courteous and modest, you'll earn a lot of admiration and respect. Nothing impresses me more than a good rider patiently staying behind a not-so-good rider until he clears an obstacle and then says "thanks" when he passes him.

Have fun!

Maurice