mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Rockwerks SS hub

Does anyone have any info on them? I can't seem to find any reviews, weights, etc.

Thanks!

trail rat
    [SIZE="3"]Heavy[/SIZE], [SIZE="4"]Heavy[/SIZE], [SIZE="5"]Heavy[/SIZE],

I just got one built up with a Kris Holm 40mm 29er rim. I did not weigh the hub alone, with the 18T steel cog that comes with it, it weighs 3.8 pounds, no tire, no rim strip.

I knew it was going to be heavy. I'm running it with a Weirwolf LT 2.55 and a TomiCOG fixed cog on my Inbred. Lots of volume for rock & log bashing, maybe enough float for some sandy beach riding?

The buyer at CBO, my LBS, told me it is a house brand for J&B Importers. Heavy duty for BMX or trials. Inexpensive and rugged, just what I wanted. I just got the wheel installed this morning and will ride it tomorrow. Long term, who knows?
    CCCMB web - Facebook
    SLO trail maps - conditions

"The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

You know, for kids
    It's the same exact hub that comes on the Redline MonoCog, just branded differently. Both hubs are manufactured by Formula.

They seem to be decent hubs, most MonoCog owners will agree. I ordered a set of wheels that had the Rockwerks version and the only issue was the front hub wasn't machined perfectly where it mates to the dropout and therefore made the wheel crooked when the skewer was tightened. A little work with a file fixed that.

So, they're not extraordinarily light or good, but still a decent value IMO.
    disclaimer: I sell and repair bicycles

mtbr member
    They are wicked cheap at www.bikeman.com too - check out the closeout closet!

You know, for kids
    Quote Originally Posted by MMcG
    damn, that's less than wholesale!

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Looks alot like my IRO hub - I thought they were made by Novatec. Who knows. Anyway, I've had good luck with mine. Very quiet.

You know, for kids
    Quote Originally Posted by 21switchbacks
    Looks alot like my IRO hub - I thought they were made by Novatec.
    rumor is Novatec hubs are actually Formula hubs as well

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Negative Ghostrider. Novatec is the high end brand of Joy Tech... Formula and Joy Tech = rivals...

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by MMcG

That's actually what prompted my post

Sweep the leg!
    I've got a set I I use with tubular rims. The rear is a bolt on axle. Heavy, but with decent bearings. The set doesn't see much use, but I'm not worried about them failing.
    Authorities speculate that speed may have been a factor. They are also holding gravity and inertia for questioning.

i also unicycle
    Jan 2007
    i run one. held up fine so far, spins smooth, pretty quite, all that good stuff. on the downside they aren't light, but i'm not a weight weinie, i'm just poor.
    mtbr says you should know: i work in a bike shop.
    bikes & beers (on my blog) http://idontrideenough.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Does anyone have any weights on them? I get that they aren't light, but how heavy is heavy? 450g? 550g? 350g?