gray hair in my shammy

Road SS advice......Fixed?????

Looking to build maybe a SS for the road for commuting to work, steel, cheap. A buddy of mine put together a fixed and really likes it. My problem with fixed is, How the hell do you stop? (I like to stop). And going down hills......I'm afraid my legs would spin off, (I'm Skinny). Brakes? I see allot of fixies on this board with no brakes. I like brakes.......

"Veni, vedi, pulsus" "I came, I saw, I pushed"

'r you some kinda ssissy?
    you can run front brakes without getting laughed at. between that and resisting the cranks with your legs you should be able to stop just fine. you can also run a rear brake if it makes you feel good but you'll loose some style points.

every bicycle nut needs a fixed gear.

paintbucket
    Run whatever brakes you want. I've got two, and the bike still seems to go when I ask it to.
    When the going gets weird its bedtime.

"Mr. Britannica"
    Quote Originally Posted by Old_Bashturd
    Looking to build maybe a SS for the road for commuting to work, steel, cheap. A buddy of mine put together a fixed and really likes it. My problem with fixed is, How the hell do you stop? (I like to stop). And going down hills......I'm afraid my legs would spin off, (I'm Skinny). Brakes? I see allot of fixies on this board with no brakes. I like brakes.......

It's about picking the right gear... just like SS, it's a balance of being able to make it up the hills (or eating your humble pie) and spinning out on the flats (or in the case of FG, on the downhills). You could also do a flip-flop (fixed one side, fw on the other), but I don't think alot of people regularly flop during rides.

As far as brakes go, run whatever you are comfortable with. You only need a front brake (some will say none, but if riding anywhere near traffic having one is prob safer), but if you'd feel better with 2 then go for it. Definitely run a back brake if you are going non-fixed. If you run a brake you could also use it on the downhill to avoid spin out.

all hail der Fuhrer Bush
    Mar 2004

again with the "loose"

Quote Originally Posted by ssissy
    you can run front brakes without getting laughed at. between that and resisting the cranks with your legs you should be able to stop just fine. you can also run a rear brake if it makes you feel good but you'll loose some style points.

every bicycle nut needs a fixed gear.
    I'm gonna point out every incorrect usage of "loose" vs "lose" until the majority of you idiots figure out the difference. It is THE most common grammar mistake on these boards. shame on you who are over the age of 8 and don't know the difference.

yes, build a fixer, use a front brake. don't use cranks longer than 170mm. 65" gear about right. pedals are your call. have fun.
    Don't pay the $85 fee to ride land you own! Resist!

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    Quote Originally Posted by bulC
    I'm gonna point out every incorrect usage of "loose" vs "lose" until the majority of you idiots figure out the difference. It is THE most common grammar mistake on these boards. shame on you who are over the age of 8 and don't know the difference.

yes, build a fixer, use a front brake. don't use cranks longer than 170mm. 65" gear about right. pedals are your call. have fun.
    Is it acceptable to not use a capital letter in the first word of a sentence? I've seen that before and wondered, "Is this person an idiot?"
    "Keep your burgers lean and your tires fat." -h.d. | bikecentric | ssoft

giddy up!

I heard that the passion board is devoid of "idiots" who make grammatical errors, maybe you should hang out over there......many of us here are fine with having "grammatical idiots" in our midst.
    www.thepathbikeshop.com

34N 118W

No good nice one bro

I'm gonna point out every incorrect usage of "loose" vs "lose" until the majority of you idiots figure out the difference
    thanks for the help, soldier.

and you were doing so well; being helpful and all. I thought you had some great new years resolution to not be pissy and bicthy. Guess not. Use your powers for good, not evil.

On topic: use all the brakes that you want. I prefer to slow down with my legs and use the ft. brake only in critical situations. What are your rides like? real hilly? Bigger gears are harder to push, but also keep a slower rpm on the downhills.
    Last edited by Hollywood; 01-07-2005 at 04:35 PM.

Recovering Weight Weenie
    Hey bulC, please turn your computer off and don't return.
    You are guilty of the most common etiquette mistake on these boards...thinking other people care what you think about their spelling/grammar, then telling them about it.
    Do you know how many people on mtbr care what you think about their grammar?
    Attached Images Attached Images

i still love yuo

hey bulc,
    i cried myself to sleep after reading your post. i thought we were freinds, and you accepted me even though i dont spell check my posts.

not to mention my posts arent always in the right place.

Am I getting too bulky?
    FWIW, I run brakes both front and rear, and run 175mm cranks two . If you're gonna be a nonconformist and ride a fixie, might as well not conform to the fixie norm either.
    I gotta roll, can't stand still, got a flame in my heart, can't get my fill.

mtbr member

grammar help

For those who feel it is absolutely necesarry to correct everyone elses grammar/spelling/punctuation, here is a book that sympathizes with you...http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...books&n=507846
    however please be aware that if we get our message across, why be critical?

"Mr. Britannica"
    pedals are your call.
    I beg to differ on pedals. For example, he wouldn't want to use some spikey flats or anything without clips or straps, right? After all, we're just a bunch of idiots........

mtbr member
    Everyone's got their own "religion" of what fixed gear riding is about, so read everyone's advice and decide what right for you.

Some riders are purist track bike brakeless riders. Others believe it's all about keepin it real by only converting some old thrift store road bike and buying a built bike is too yuppie. Some just like to ride and don't care for any of these mottos or creeds. To each their own is what I say.

I live in a relatively flat part of Los Angeles, so riding fix works for me. I don't have to worry too much about downhills. Lots of the bikes you see posted without any brakes are often city bikes, where it's all flat riding. So don't feel like you're not getting the fixed vibe because you enjoy brakes, I reeeeally like my front brake.

If you live in an area with lots of hills with fast descents, maybe fixed riding is not for you. But you don't have to decide, just get a flip flop hub with a fixed/freewheel setup and see for yourself.