mtbr member

road cranks on SS mtb

I can't find a definitive answer anywhere- can I use something like Rival cranks with the 34t small ring on my mountain bike? I am under the impression that they might be too narrow and rub on the chainstays. otherwise, there's only one ring and no derailleurs to worry about.

Edit: my frame has a standard 68mm threaded BB.
    Last edited by mack_turtle; 04-17-2013 at 07:29 PM.

mtbr member
    If it uses outboard bearings I don't think it will fit with a 73mm bottom bracket - you wouldn't have enough spindle coming through on the non-drive side to affix the arm. An older square taper set would probably work fine, you'd just need to get a mountain BB with the same taper (I have an FSA vero crankset that I've put on a karate monkey frame before, the 46t outside ring *just* cleared the chainstay).
    Yeah I only carry cans cause I'm a weight weenie.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    The q factor might be an issue. But I know Slowerthansnot uses DA ST cranks on his rig. It is possible, especially if you go with a shorter crank arm length.

Also, if it is 130bcd, I believe the smallest ring you can fit is 38T. This is why I stuck with 110bcd XT/XTR cranks.

mtbr member
    I would be using a compact crank with a 34t small ring, probably with a 22t cog.

1*14*29*2.1 & 1*1*29*2.4
    Nov 2009
    I tried fitting an old 8spd road triple to my mtb, and there was just no way it would fit. Crank arms hit the chainstays, and I didn't even get to wonder about the rings. May depend on the frame type though, as mine didn't have s bend stays.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    depends on how much the chain stays flair outwards.

I ran full campag on my singular swift for a while.

Dive Bomber
    I actually have the same question, I am asking about Shimano sora cranks is there anyone knows what the Q facotr is?

Also my friend says that Sora cranks has shorter spindle so it can't get any wider even with added spacer?

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    I would be using a compact crank with a 34t small ring, probably with a 22t cog.
    I see. I've got 170mm DA 7800 cranks on my fixed roadie and I've got maybe 3mm clearance. I doubt they would work on my MTB's. Hope you can try it out beforehand.

Quote Originally Posted by jackspade View Post
    ...Also my friend says that Sora cranks has shorter spindle so it can't get any wider even with added spacer?
    Pretty much all ext. bearing road cranks are for 68mm BB. So no extra spacers will fit.

Just Ride
    Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    I can't find a definitive answer anywhere- can I use something like Rival cranks with the 34t small ring on my mountain bike? I am under the impression that they might be too narrow and rub on the chainstays. otherwise, there's only one ring and no derailleurs to worry about.

Edit: my frame has a standard 68mm threaded BB.
    I was about to say if you can push a 52t crank on the trails you must be big, green and mean!
    SS ==> Nut up or Shut up!