Sofa King We Todd Did

Road bike? Who needs a road bike?!

I do. But until come scrounge up a few more nickels between the sofa cushions, this'll have to do.

Actually, this thread was a shameless excuse to show some updates I'd made on my road-going monstrosity I built up this part February. Here's what it looked like when it was 'hatched'. Since then, the British Racing Green paintjob started chipping and peeling away and I got totally fed up worrying about how to upkeep the bike without doing more damage to the paintjob. So I got it powdercoated. You can read that ordeal here. What a bear. So I said goodbye to my beloved British Racing Green color and settled for a lighter shade of green. Not exactly what I wanted but it'll have to do.

Another major change I made was to my drivetrain. I asked about other magic gear combos using the 'rule of four' and my 46x18 gearing. As it turns out, a 48x16 gearing works nicely, too, albeit with the chain a tad tight. That should loosen up a bit with some burly climbs. Going from a 2.6:1 gear ratio up to a 3:1 gear ratio has made for some more challenging riding, which is great. But that also means that I'm way faster on straights. The previous gearing shot me up to about 23mph on a straight. I managed 27.5mph on this new gearing the other day.

Some vanity shots of the On*One Midge bars that replaced the moustache bars, and the Brooks B17 saddle. I was so reluctant to put on the Midge bars after having such a great feel with the moutache bars. Now that they're on there, I wonder what the hell I was doing waiting so long to put them on.

I approached the Brooks saddle with a tremendous amount of fear and caution, having read as many reviews about what a literal pain in the ass it was, as I did the reviews lauding them as God's gift to the almighty ass. I'm firmly in the camp of the latter now. I love the stiffness of the saddle. I love how I can *feel* exactly where my sit bones make contact with the saddle. I hope it stays as firm as it is right now for a long, long time. If my ass could talk, it'd be thanking me eternally for giving it some a good 'home'.

And finally a bit of silliness. Just because I can. Because there's no other bike like this on the road, I don't think.

I rock.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I Like it. Well done. I'm wondering if the reason that you like the Midge over the Mungo are the more upright, closer to the stem and the drop hand positions? With the right tires and gearing, you won't need a road bike

Steamroller

Looks great

I like your tire choice, I have those on my Mia which does dual duty as a townie and occasional trail bike. The bars intrigue me, I may have to try a set on the SS/fixie cross bike I'm dreaming up. Moustache bars are OK and so are drops but neither seems right for what I have in mind, those Midge bars may be just the ticket. How does the hand position feel when on the hoods? I wonder if they are legal for cyclocross........ just wondering really, I probably won't actually race.
    [SIZE=2]Two Wheeled and Too Big[/SIZE]

Sofa King We Todd Did
    Note to self (and to others, too, by virtue of this post): Kenda K-Rad 2.3s are terrible in the wet.

I put the powdercoat through a torture test today when I tried to take a corner on the bike path at around 15mph and the rear tire washout on me causing me to become rather intimate with the asphalt. Crashed hard, slid about 5 feet or so, got some nice early morning souvenirs on my right side.

Good morning, me!

The right brake lever has a nice rough scrape on it and the Brooks saddle has been a flat spot in the right rear corner now. I took some steel wool and smoothed out the scrape on the brake lever and immediately treated the scrape in the leather saddle with some proofide.

Powdercoat held up to the asphalt dragging, though! Not one mark on the frame! Nice!

Quote Originally Posted by highroller
    I'm wondering if the reason that you like the Midge over the Mungo are the more upright, closer to the stem and the drop hand positions?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattman
    Moustache bars are OK and so are drops but neither seems right for what I have in mind, those Midge bars may be just the ticket. How does the hand position feel when on the hoods?
    Actually, the way I've had both bars set up, my hands on the hoods of with the Midge bar are around where I had them on main grip section of the moustache bar, as far as the reach is concerned. My hands are closer together now than they were on the moutache bar (which were 56mm wide). The drops actually put me in a lower stance, not more upright.

It was tough for me to let go of the moustache bars - I really loved them. But these Midge bars give me two more hand positions over the moustache bars, which is actually a bigger help for different ride positions, rather than just where to put my hands when I ride. I've tried traditional road bars and I find them not only cramped, but the perfectly parallel drops feel completely unnatural to me. The outward sweep/flare of these dirt drop bars feel perfect. The hand position on the hoods feels equally nice.

King Pin

Bonking ... not feelin' well Ouch.

One of these days yur gonna hurt yourself, Des.

How 'bout golf?? Sorry...couldn't resist.

Bike looks nice! My Shirley would look like it's twin big brother if'n I slapped the Midge's on there. I have some of them KRads hanging in the garage....not a bad tire, but takes three men and two boys to wedge 'em on to my Salsa Semi and/or Rhynolite rims! Getting 'em off was even tougher.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by SpinWheelz
    <<<......Actually, the way I've had both bars set up, my hands on the hoods of with the Midge bar are around where I had them on main grip section of the moustache bar, as far as the reach is concerned. My hands are closer together now than they were on the moutache bar (which were 56mm wide). The drops actually put me in a lower stance, not more upright.

It was tough for me to let go of the moustache bars - I really loved them. But these Midge bars give me two more hand positions over the moustache bars, which is actually a bigger help for different ride positions, rather than just where to put my hands when I ride. I've tried traditional road bars and I find them not only cramped, but the perfectly parallel drops feel completely unnatural to me. The outward sweep/flare of these dirt drop bars feel perfect. The hand position on the hoods feels equally nice.
    I was thinking that it'd be nice to have the upright flat section of the Midge as opposed to none on the Mungo. And having comfortable drops is also a bonus.

Sofa King We Todd Did
    The K-Rads are a TOTAL bear to mount onto the rims, that's for sure. I mounted them once and I've never taken them off since. And I used the 'no-no' method of using my tire lever to pop them in there. One problem I do have with them is that they're so fat that in order to remove the rear wheel from the frame, I have to deflate the tire first - otherwise, they won't make it past the v-brakes!

As for the moustache bars vs. the dirt drop bars, I find that each have three positions to offer. Dirt drops win because the three hand positions are all different enough that they allow you to change your ride position as needed, whereas the changes in hand positions on the moustache bars are merely for hand comfort. That said, I still find the cheapy steel Nashbar moustache bars to be best option amongst the moustache bar offerings out there.

Steamroller

Note taken

Note to self (and to others, too, by virtue of this post): Kenda K-Rad 2.3s are terrible in the wet.
    Thanks for the warning! I'll try to remember it until it rains again here in like 5 months. Glad you're OK! Funny about prying them on though, mine went on fine, but I do have Velocity rims which I think are known for fitting some tires loosely.
    [SIZE=2]Two Wheeled and Too Big[/SIZE]

mtbr member

nice

It's still a nice color Des, very nice looking bike

guess that means 2.3's will work on my Trek as well. I've been trying to settle on a nice, cheap dirt tire. I was afraid to order until I knew what I could fit.

can't believe you gave up on your beloved moustaches!

Sofa King We Todd Did
    The Kenda K-Rad 2.3s fit in the frame and fork with ample room to spare. They'd probably take a 2.5, too, I imagine. Granted a 2.5 with big knobby corners might be tempting fate, though. But I bet the Maxxis Hookworm 2.5s would fit well in there!

The moustache bars are desperately looking for a new bike to call home!

Oh, and get cracking on that off-road magic gear, will you!

Sofa King We Todd Did
    I want to give a big shout out to pacman - he truly is the all-knowing guru when it comes to chain lengths and all thing related to the mathematics of drivetrains. Thanks to you, pacman, I was able to up my gearing comfortably from a 46x18 to a 44x16. The 48x16 that I was fooling around with in the pics above was a bit too hard and the chain was a bit too tight. 44x16 upped the gear ratio from my original set up and the chain feel was nice and smooth - snug, not tight.

Massive props to you, pacman. Thanks a million! Viva la magic gear!

Here's a pic of the bike about 10 minutes after I got done with a brief ride this morning.

King Pin

New question here. Typo?

You got a lotta 16's and 18's in there.

Did you go from a 81" to a 74".....or 69" to 74"?? I'm scratchin' heads here man.

Sofa King We Todd Did
    I'm not too good with calculating gear inches, so feel free to help a brother out.

The original magic gear combo was 46x18. I went up to a 48x16 but that was a whopping 3:1 gear ratio and the chain felt painfully tight. With pacman's help, I removed a full link from the chain and am now running a 44x16 gear combo, which is smack in between the other two gear combos in terms of gear ratio.

mtbr member
    I'm not too good with calculating gear inches, so feel free to help a brother out.

The original magic gear combo was 46x18. I went up to a 48x16 but that was a whopping 3:1 gear ratio and the chain felt painfully tight. With pacman's help, I removed a full link from the chain and am now running a 44x16 gear combo, which is smack in between the other two gear combos in terms of gear ratio.
    44x16 = 70.5 gear inches, 2.75 gear ratio

BTW, my Endless 19T cog arrived yesterday and I laced it up last night - a little too tight but I can make up for it by slididng down a little in the dropouts. I think it'll work. That's 34x19, feels like a great gear.