mtbr member

Rithey pro carbon fork

Hey guys! I'm going to convert my 26' giant XTC to singlespeed. I'm thinking of putting a high quality rigid fork on it (or to leave a suspension fork with lockout).

I'm 95 kg without gear. Ritchey pro carbon mtb fork (not WCS!) seems to be not among the lightest outhere with 735 g (ex. WCS is less than 500 g). It should be strong. What do you think about it's strength and riding characteristics?

My friend was doing trials and his alloy 800 g fork was OK on his trials bike.

P.S. Having rockshox recon 351 u-turn now on XTC - love it when locked out.

mtbr member
    It looks to be the same as most carbon forks (white brothers, origin 8, an debay specials). Do you have disc or V brakes?

mtbr member
    I use disc brakes

mtbr member
    Then because you're using kg for your weight you might be from the UK, you should look at the on-one carbon rigid fork. It's half the price and almost as light as the Ritchey

mtbr member
    I'm from Russia. Thank for your advice! I think it will be better to leave the fork as it is and not to spend money.

I don't care about the weight much. I wanted rigid fork to "purify" my SS.

Yesterday I locked out the fork and absolutely loved it! I still can 'open' it on the downhills.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ne_dan View Post
    Then because you're using kg for your weight you might be from the UK, you should look at the on-one carbon rigid fork. It's half the price and almost as light as the Ritchey

Hey we still use pounds in the UK. None of that fancy kilowhatits for us

Actually we weigh people in 'stones' (1stone =14 pounds) nothing else just people!

mtbr member
    Have a Ritchey fork. One of few w/o weight limit, works great, very sturdy, and just plain trick. my chain ss has it. check my profile pics to see it
    Where there is choice, there is misery...

mtbr member
    Thanks for reply! Good loocking Mr. T! What do you mean by "just plain trick"?

How can you compare rigid fork to suspension fork (because you have both on your bikes) in terms of stiffeness? Does rigid carbon fork (ritchey) have any bump/vibration compliance?

Consider that I have 26' wheels, 95 kg weight and the trails I ride are not very rough.

mtbr member
    Does it have enough tyre clearence? I'm going to run Rocket Ron 2,4 up front?

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I'm currently running a carbon rigid fork on my XTC 26, riding predominantly rocky trails. The carbon does take a bit of the sting out of the trail, but the brake chatter under hard braking can take some getting used to. The biggest tyre I've run is a Rocket Ron 2.25, which has plenty clearance.

mtbr member

translation: ugh...i cant

Sorry, I didn't take into consideration regional slang "trick" = very nice, sleek, uber-spiffy, well constructed, how do you explain slang without using more slang?!?! My vocabulary is for sh*t I guess, sorry.

The comparison between squishy fork is: it rides alot better than steel as far as compliant and taking out minor sting. You dont so much feel like you are swinging an aluminum baseball bat when it connects. However, it will remind you quickly it IS NOT a suspension fork if you surpass it's intended purpose. The Ritchey fork doesn't share the same fore-aft (front-back) flex some have and is laterally (side-side) stiffer than most as well, but smooths out alot of the chatter and is smooth on appropriate singletrack\xc trail use.

I am running 2.25 Geax Seguarros and could probobly go wider still. There is pretty good clearance for wide tires and I would think a 26" wheel and lighter rider (I'm big) would have even less chance of tire rub from wheel flex and could run a wide tire.

mtbr member
    Thank you very much, God's Favorite Bike! You helped me alot and don't need to excuse.

I've just ordered exactly the same fork (only 26er) recently. I'm building Giant XTC SS and not going to do any jumps with this bike (got Giant STP for that purpose). And the trails we have are not very rough.

Went for a ride yesterday and mensioned that I didn't 'open' the fork during the whole ride. That maybe a sign to go rigid! I think XC SS and rigid fork are made for each other!

I hope I'l enjoy this upgrade! (or downgrade as someone can think)

P.S. What is the difference in the feeling of the bike and handling due to the lighter front end? (I see you have both hardtail and rigid built on the similar frame)

SSOD
    OP you can't really explain the difference in going rigid and having a lighter front end. It is just a different style of riding, that a lot of people like, me being one of them. The Ritchey pro carbon stuff is good stuff imo. Not the lightest but stiff and durable. I built up my cx bike last fall with the pro carbon seatpost/ stem/ bars and they are really nice. There is lighter aluminum stuff out there and a lot of lighter carbon out there but for the price point they are pretty good stuff.

Your going to like the rigid man, just might want to go with a large volume tire and tubeless to help smooth out the ride.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Have a look at carboncycles.cc for good cheap carbon forks.

mtbr member
    Igorha, to answer, I would agree with CS on the "lighter" frontend aspect. My squishy Rockhopper is a 1x9 setup and really just a different deal than the rigid s.s. although you are right Igorha, they are pretty much the same 29er framesets, one 08 one 09.

Its technically correct that the Ritchey is lighter that a Recon Gold but CS is quite on point, more so just a different experience. To me the real difference is more the the rigid feels more precise, quick, nimble...accurate. But we're all different I guess.

I think you'll enjoy your project! Have a great ride

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I'm planning to buy a Ritchey Pro Carbon Fork (26er), since I want to use it on my winter bike it's very important to me that there is enough clearence for a set of Schwalbe Ice Spiker Pro 2.35".

So, it would totally make my day if any of you could measure the tire clearance of your Ritchey fork!

mtbr member
    I used IceSpikerPro 26*2,35 on this fork without any problems - it has more clearence than most frames.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    I also could fit RocketRon 2,4 (which is really wide) without any problems and with enough mud clearenca. IceSpiker 2,35 works very well with this fork on low pressures (1,5 bar).

I have to say that I've broken this fork (one leg). But that was a brutal front impact into the iron construction element so the frame snapped in the back of the top tube. Later I decided to perform a crashtest of the second leg. I handled the fork by the steerer and started to hit the corner of the garage - the damage was made only to the garage wall! Then I tried to hit a steel tube (fixed to the ground) as hard as i could. I couldn't make any damage for the first 20 hits. After that structural damage began to occur. Maybe the conditions of the test are inaccurate but it's clear that this fork is really strong and has great impact resistance!

The need for singlespeed
    RIP XTC
    It was a nice looking ride.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Igoreha View Post
    I used IceSpikerPro 26*2,35 on this fork without any problems - it has more clearence than most frames.
    My bad...

What a stupid question, since a normal front hub is about 100 mm and the carbon tubes are parallell the tire clearence should be no problem at all for a 60 mm tire like the Schwalbe IceSpiker Pro

However, I've just placed my order for the fork and the Schwalbes!

mtbr member
    The common two tube w. metal crown -design has around 90 mm space for the tire. Mine says "Pro Carbon 465" on it. Clearance isn't a problem - I bet you could fit a Rabbit Hole and a Knard in one.