mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Rim Recommendation - Need Rim Brake

Looking for a rim brake rim recommendation for my single speed. I'm ~200 pounds on an AL frame, front fork, etc.

I can't/don't want to convert to disc brakes...what rims do you recommend?

mtbr member

Re: Rim Recommendation - Need Rim Brake

Velocity has some good options. Hard to pick one without knowing more about your riding.

http://www.velocityusa.com/product/r...tions/Mountain

The a23 road rim could be useful for lighter xc applications if saving weight is a priority.
    Yeah I only carry cans cause I'm a weight weenie.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I'll take a look. I ride on the east coast...so Trails like Tsali, Fast single track, roots, switchbacks, etc.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Looks like the only velocity rim that would work is the clifhanger (Velocity Wheels) as it's the only one that is a rim brake. That said, I've never seen a rim brake rim that didn't have a machined brake surface like this one has the option of. What's the purpose of that? Can you brake on a non machined surface?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jbsmith View Post
    I've never seen a rim brake rim that didn't have a machined brake surface like this one has the option of. What's the purpose of that? Can you brake on a non machined surface?
    Yes you can, it will probably squeal more unless you toe in your brake pads. I don't know the purpose of non-machined sidewalls. I think non-machined sidewalls may have been more common with older rims. An aquaintance just purchased an old '82 Trek 750 with steel rims and no machined sidewall. I don't even like trek or road bikes much, but I liked it. I felt odd. Anyway, what size wheel you got? I think Mavic 717 could be good or if you need the heft the EX721, or some Weinmenn rims should do it for 26ers. I have both the XC717 and the EX721 and I'm over 200lbs. I think there are still many other options. More info...
    No fuss with the MUSS

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I need a 26" rim. I ride pretty hard/fast/rough....I've seen a good number of reviews on the XM 719 and XC 717 that they rattle and or get bent pretty quick (which I was surprised at since I've never had trouble with any of my Mavic's before).

Curious though what people think of the WTB Dual Duty? It's pretty cheap in comparison (so maybe that's an indicator) but it's not that much heavier than some of the others on the market and I've heard good things about WTB in general.

Yo.

Rim Recommendation - Need Rim Brake

I thought the Dual Dutys were kinda heavy on paper; maybe it was just the Speed Disc hubs they were laced to.

Stan's still does the 355 in 26"; some of the online retailers might have Sun 0 Degree XCs or Rhyno Lites on closeout.
    Quote Originally Posted by JonathanGennick View Post
    I am a poser. But forums.poser.com doesn't seem to exist, so I come here instead.

mtbr member
    I recently scored a set of 29in. Dual Duties for $10 each @BlueSky, I didn't notice if they had 26 inch though. I don't have a whole lot of miles on them but they built up decently and have held true thus far, reasonable weight, and have a good sized machined braking surface.

mtbr member
    The rattling noise on the Mavic rims is the plastic tab piece used to hold the rim together for the weld. It can shake loose but is not a structural concern, sometimes you can take a nail punch and increase the indentations to hold the piece better. It's more of an annoyance really, it prods me to get to speed earlier. I've not had problems with the 717, but I'm not dropping or jumping on them either. I have the EX721 for that, which is a bit weighty. I can't comment on the dual duty rims, but I have speed disc and laser disc rims and like them both, both are disc specific. Rhyno lites have been good in the past.
    No fuss with the MUSS

mtbr member
    Rhyno Lite or Rhyno Lite XL.
    Roscoe's Chicken 'n Waffles

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    the Rhyno's look to be 36 hole which I need 32 for my existing hubs.

I'll probably try the Dual Duty from WTB or the Mavic 717 or 719's. It's my 3rd bike (and probably ridden 3rd in line) so I need to decide how much I want to spend on a set of rims.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    ...sorry double post

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    For 26", I'd probably go Stans 355, which are on sale for $40.

I'll be going with Open Pro CD's when it's time to replace my 700c rims.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by phsycle View Post
    For 26", I'd probably go Stans 355, which are on sale for $40.
    I thought I saw the rider weight recommendation on the 355's was 190lbs? I'm 200 without gear.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I thought I saw the rider weight recommendation on the 355's was 190lbs? I'm 200 without gear.
    Can't seem to find anything official from Stans, but several people running 355's that are 200. One thread:

Stans ZTR Hubs w/ ZTR 355's 1500g

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I like the stan's - I've got a set of the Flows on my FS bike...I just worry about not knowing much about the 355's, because up until I got the Flow's I've been notorious for busting up rims pretty quickly.

So I'm curious - do you know what the 355's were replaced with and/or how they compare to the old Mavic X 517 (that's what these are replacing that have held up really well - which is why I may get the Mavic 717's or 719's still).

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Thanks for the links...for $25 bucks they might be the ticket. They are pretty heavy but if they lace up true and hold up well, that'd be nice!

Beer Drnkr w/bike problem
    I have an old set of Sun Ringle SUV Dual Sport both disc and rim brake compatable 26" 9mm skewer. they are heavy but will hold any weight of a rider that can ride. I used them on my old DH bike which has low miles (I haven't ridden it in three years) they are true and strong like bull. $200 and I'll throw in the 3.5 maxxis tires that are on it. (they too are in good shape) I'll add a pic if interested. They are set up with disc brakes so the rims have never been used as brakes. nice option if you want to change at a later time.
    "Not drinking is the Single Speed World Championships version of doping" -Jacquie Phelan

beer *****es n' bikes
    Looks like the only velocity rim that would work is the clifhanger (Velocity Wheels) as it's the only one that is a rim brake. That said, I've never seen a rim brake rim that didn't have a machined brake surface like this one has the option of. What's the purpose of that? Can you brake on a non machined surface?
    We also offer the Aeroheat in a 26" NMSW flavor. It's worth considering as its light but stiff and strong due to the triangular cross section.

MSW sidewalls are nice for rim brakes, but not necessary. Some people prefer NMSW for disc brake applications or because it leaves a little extra material on the rim for longer life in theory.
    bike dude, velocity employee (this is my personal account)