mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Rigid for for Trek 930

I've read the reccomendations for rigid forks but would like some additional advice.

I am looking to take the Judy off my 96 Trek 930 and replace it with a rigid fork.
    I have narrowed it down to the Surly 1x1 but would like other reccomendations if you think there is a better choice out there. Money is not a big concern but I don't want to spend $340.00 for a titanium fork.

My reason for wanting to change is that I use the bike for both a SS MTB and an Urban Assault Vehicle. Any time that I land a little off center when I jump a staircase etc. the front end feels like it is going to wash out. I also have been sneaking into the skate park by my house with it and the fork does not do well for that type of freestyle.

I am not at the level that I was at when I was 18 (40 now) but still like to get a little rowdy when I am cruising the neighborhood with my three year old.

I need something strong and light that won't break the frame.

Any suggetions or comments will be greatly appreciated.

paintbucket
    Kona makes an inexpensive rigid fork, the P2 I think. That'd be worth a look. And then there's custom builder stuff -- either vicious or vulture has some standard forks on their website, I can never remember.
    When the going gets weird its bedtime.

mtbr member

GT Cromo works good

I also have a 930 SS. I have a rigid GT cromo. You can pick them up on e-bay for $10 or you can go to a bike shop and they will either give to you free or for $5.00.
    Quote Originally Posted by llihpu
    I've read the reccomendations for rigid forks but would like some additional advice.

I am looking to take the Judy off my 96 Trek 930 and replace it with a rigid fork.
    I have narrowed it down to the Surly 1x1 but would like other reccomendations if you think there is a better choice out there. Money is not a big concern but I don't want to spend $340.00 for a titanium fork.

My reason for wanting to change is that I use the bike for both a SS MTB and an Urban Assault Vehicle. Any time that I land a little off center when I jump a staircase etc. the front end feels like it is going to wash out. I also have been sneaking into the skate park by my house with it and the fork does not do well for that type of freestyle.

I am not at the level that I was at when I was 18 (40 now) but still like to get a little rowdy when I am cruising the neighborhood with my three year old.

I need something strong and light that won't break the frame.

Any suggetions or comments will be greatly appreciated.
    Sit and spin my ass...