Recovering Weight Weenie

Which rigid forks have an Axle to Crown height close to 18.25"?

or about 463.5mm?

My wife's 1x1 has a Siss fork that is about 425mm...looking to go higher...anyone?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Check out Spicercycles. He has a fair variety of rigid forks and lists axle-to-crown for each of them. He's a great guy to deal with too.

brother on a mission
    A while back someone mentioned it would be nice to have a rigid forks section of the MTBR website. Maybe a section of the FAQ portion could be dedicatecd to different rigid forks and their dimensions? IN addition to the info I pasted in below, there were two threads about two weeks ago about rigid forks that had some good data on the axel to crown heights of different manufacturer's forks.

I hope this is helpful.

From the bikeman website:

Surly Instigator Fork: 1-1/8 Inch Threadless Canti & Disc mountain fork. The Instigator™ rigid fork replaces 100mm travel suspension forks. We designed it around the geometry of the Surly® Instigator™, of course, but it should work just fine for frames with similar geometries. It is constructed of thick -walled, single-butted 4130 cro-moly, so it will hold up under pressure. The fork features International Standard disc mounts, removable canti pivots, 1-1/8 threadless steerer, and a black powdercoat finish. If you want to run fatties in this fork, go ahead. You can easily wedge a 2.7 tire between those straight, tapered (31.8mm to 28.6mm) blades. 447mm axle to crown distance with 43mm Rake.
    Shipping Weight: 3.00 pounds

Surly Karate Monkey Fork: 1-1/8 Inch Threadless Canti & Disc fork for use with 29 Inch mountain wheels. The Karate Monkey™ rigid fork replaces suspension forks designed for use on 29-wheeled bikes. It features International Standard disc mounts, removable canti pivots, 1-1/8 threadless steerer, tapered straight blades, and a black powdercoat finish. 468mm axle to crown distance with 43mm Rake.
    Shipping Weight: 3.00 pounds

Kelly Bikes Rigid Canti Mtn. Fork: Quality materials, craftsmanship and design are evident in the look and ride of this fork. Everyone should ride rigid some time. This fork features canti mounts and is made with True Temper OX3 CrMo blades and 280mm, 1-1/8 inch threadless CrMo steerer. The fork is suspension corrected for 26 inch wheels with an axle to crown measurement of 425mm and a 1.5 inch offset.

edit:

This is not the post I was thinking of, but it contains some information:
    Suspension-corrected rigid forks?
    Last edited by Greenfix; 12-20-2004 at 12:09 PM. Reason: more information

kung food
    I think a surly KM fork would be your best (and perhaps only) bet.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Surly KM fork would be good but I believe you wouldn't be able to use rim brakes because its made for 29" wheels. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong though. If you want to use discs you should be fine though.

Recovering Weight Weenie
    Quote Originally Posted by gabe0807
    Surly KM fork would be good but I believe you wouldn't be able to use rim brakes because its made for 29" wheels. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong though. If you want to use discs you should be fine though.
    Who still uses rim brakes? Don't tell me they exist? Horrors!

Nah, just talked to the owner at the Path Bike Shop, and he reminded me to take fork sag into the equation. I had totally forgotten about that.
    I'm liking the Planet X Knifen at this point. Pretty cool lookin'.

giddy up!
    Where were you when I sold the hot looking Sycip and the brand new Kelly fork a few weeks back!

I say go with either a kelly or possibly a vicious. The planet-x will likely weigh a bit and might not ride soo nice....

As usual, let me know what you're looking for, if you know what I mean.

B
    www.thepathbikeshop.com