mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Rigid Fork suggestions

Looking for a rigid fork to replace my old 80mm 482 A/C Suntour fork. I'm running rim brakes and 26" wheels. It doesn't need to be super heavy duty as this bike is mostly for around town with light trail use.

I really like the Vassago ODIS, but rim brakes would only hit for a 29" wheel, right? Anything like that for 26"?

A custom fork is probably out of my range, but I saw a mountain fork with an investment cast fork crown that was really cool looking. Anything like that available on the cheap?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    You could try an origin8 carbon fork with the removable canti studs and place them where needed for a 26" wheel.

jdg
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Does it have a 1" or 1 1/8" steerer tube? That is the question. If it is 1 1/8" you can get a nice segmented fork from Vassago as you mentioned or On-One.

If it is 1" there are fewer non-custom choices but Kona does runs of the 1" and I bought one through Bikeman for an old Jamis; quite inexpensive.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    1 1/8"

I was kind of hoping to stay away from carbon. No other reason than I prefer steel. If carbon turns out to be the best option then I don't have a real objection to it.
    Last edited by peter.thedrake; 08-08-2009 at 08:13 AM.

mtbr member
    Here's a page at Jenson with a lot of rigid 26" forks with canti mounts.
    http://www.jensonusa.com/store/sub/1...ks.aspx?s=1618

Also an IRD at Soma:
    http://store.somafab.com/mtbcrmoforks.html

You're not going to find investment cast for cheap unless you scrounge yard sales or swap meets and find an old one.

Combat Wombat
    Quote Originally Posted by peter.thedrake
    1 1/8"

I was kind of hoping to stay away from carbon. No other reason than I prefer steel. If carbon turns out to be the best option then I don't have a real objection to it.
    I just took a quick look online and was surprised I could not find anything. For an inexpensive 26" rigid 80mm corrected fork with canti mounts, about the only thing I could easily find is the Surly 1X1. Not a bad fork, but I think you want a segmented fork. The Vassago ODIS is only available for 29" wheels, so that is no go. I went to On-One's website and it looks like they only make a carbon rigid fork now. If you were willing to wait, I am sure an On-One rigid steel would show up sooner or later on ebay or the classifieds, but then they are 100mm suspension corrected if that matters to you.

If you are actually considering the price of carbon and you really want steel, I would give Walt at Waltworks a call. He can make you a very nice rigid steel fork exactly how you want it for not much more, if not the same price, as most carbon forks.

Brian

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    How did you come up with 482mm a-to-c? That's more like a 130mm suspension corrected 26 fork. Did you measure it yourself? If so, did you do it off the bike without any sag? What bike is it on? You're probably looking for any old 26" 80mm suspension corrected rigid fork, which there are plenty.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I did measure the A/C myself and I was kind of surprised with how big the number was so here's how I did it.

Measured from the crank side of the crown to the crank side of the axle and got 19" (about) multiplied 19 inches x 2.54 cm per inch = 48.26 cm

48.26 cm x 10mm/cm = 482.6mm A/C

The only margin for error there is in the actual measuring itself.

The reason I say it is a 80mm fork is because that is what the bike originally came with (2003 Gary Fisher Marlin, specs are here http://fisherbikes.com/bike/archivemodel/56). However, someone stole that fork off the bike when I was taking a calculus final (adding insult to injury, I failed that final) in 2004. The original Manitou fork was replaced with a Suntour something or other which had the stickers stripped off of it so I can't remember exactly what it is now.

ANYWAY, the bike was originally specced for a 2003 Manitou Six with 80mm travel. I'm trying to find a specs sheet for that fork now to try and check my A/C measurement.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Found this http://www.orangebikes.co.uk/technic...CH/Sixeng1.pdf but I can't find anywhere that it mentions the a-to-c.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I guess the point is that I don't need to worry so much about finding a fork to match the current a-to-c because the new fork was not the original that matched the geometry of the bike.

mtbr member
    Salsa cro-moto I think comes in a 26er version with brake bosses.

Yo.
    You should remeasure AC with you on the bike. Sag might shorten it a bit.
    Quote Originally Posted by JonathanGennick View Post
    I am a poser. But forums.poser.com doesn't seem to exist, so I come here instead.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    i have a Gusset Jury fork that i love. they are pretty cheap too, just hard to find. I got mine for $70 new. It has canti and disc mounts.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    After much searching it looks like the Surly Instigator (447mm a-to-c) or the Voodoo Zombie (470 a-to-c) are the best bet.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Or the Salsa Cromoto with 425 a-to-c and lighter than the surly.

Ovaries on the Outside
    If you have a bike that had a 80mm fork, then your a-c length for a rigid will be around the 420s. I'm pretty sure if you search the forums you'll find a metric that will help you to calculate the ideal length for your fork.

Kona's P2 is light and costs the same as the Surly.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Yes, Kona P2. Thanks guys, I think I have my answer. No segmented or flat crown but whatever, now I can junk the old, heavy suntour fork. I'm excited.