mtbr member

Rigid fork: Spicer Ti or Pace RC31?

Hello guys, I'm currently buying parts to build a rigid 1X8 or 1X9 with '98 Dean Colonel. I have not decided on the fork yet although I've narrowed it down to Spicer Ti or the Pace RC31. They weigh and cost about the same. Any pros and cons or opinions are welcome. Thank you in advance.

mtbr member
    I broke my Spicer ti after about 2 months, I replaced it with a Pace RC31 and rode that for 4 years, until I gave it to my dad, he rode it for 2 years, now a buddy of ours has it. That has been my experience with those particular forks

mtbr member
    Hey thanks Mtbyker. Can you please tell me which welded area (I'm assuming) your Spicer Ti failed at so I can tell my friend to watch out for? Thanks.

mtbr member
    At the top where the leg meets the crown, seems like it was welded there and that's where it broke. It was on a downhill on the first lap of a race with 7 elite racers right behind me! Luckily, I landed on my face and not anything important!!

mtbr member
    Holy Crap! Good to know. Thank you so much for the warning! I hope you didn't get hurt too bad and have recovered since.

mtbr member
    Spicer's forks are made by Xian, same as Sibex.

1 bike per day + 1 or 2
    Sep 2005
    I do not have any experience with the Spicer Ti fork but I do with the Pace RC31 fork. I changed out the Pace RC31 fork for the Trigon CX for and have never been happier. The Trigon fork is lighter and just as stiff or stiffer. I find that when braking with the Pace fork, I would get a bit of flex in the fork.

With the Trigon fork, I was surprised that I did not get this flex when braking as I thought that going with a lighter fork would not have been as stiff.

The Trigon fork is around the same price of less on Ebay, lighter and from my experience just as stiff or stiffer.

Best of luck in your search.

mtbr member
    Where did you get the Trigon fork. I've never heard of it but am also interested in replacing my Kona Project fork with something lighter weight

Thanks

1 bike per day + 1 or 2
    Sep 2005
    I got them on Ebay and I think they were around $220 USD if I remember correctly. There are a few on there right now and they have turned out to be a great purchase for my 14 lbs single speed MTB build.

CB2
    Jam Econo
    Quote Originally Posted by bdc88
    I got them on Ebay and I think they were around $220 USD if I remember correctly. There are a few on there right now and they have turned out to be a great purchase for my 14 lbs single speed MTB build.
    Excuse me, I thought you said 14 lbs MTB?

1 bike per day + 1 or 2
    Sep 2005
    14.11 LBS Single Speed Mountain Bike.

YES, and I could go lighter.
    YES, I do ride it and do small jumps, ride down stairs and do small drop offs (1-2 feet).
    No, I am not a 125 lbs rider either. Add about another 55 lbs.

http://www.light-bikes.com/bikegalle...ng.asp?id=1329
    Last edited by bdc88; 12-12-2007 at 11:16 AM.

mtbr member
    Thanks - I found one on ebay as you said. The one thing I can't find is whether or not this is suspension adjusted?
    I'm building up a new frame and it's set up for an 80 or 100mm fork.

Thanks

1 bike per day + 1 or 2
    Sep 2005
    You should be fine. I beleive that this fork was designed to be used in a 80mm fork application.

I installed mine on the bike linked above and it rides great and no issues.

I

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I have an RC31 on my surly and love it. Some claim to experience fork tuck under heavy braking but it has been very minor and I run a mullet setup, disc up front and Vbrake in the rear on that bike. I picked up a White Bros carbon for my 29er and have not experienced any flex or tuck when braking. I really like it so far.

FYI on the Pace/DT swiss, they may be hard to find due to a re-branding by dt swiss. I have not researched if they are changing the design of the fork but I do know the 29ers are not due out until next yr sometime and the market seems dried up. Not sure on the 26in availability.

The Trigon looks good as well, I just like a little more axle to crown length personally. Either way, you will be happy with carbon

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fat Bob
    Spicer's forks are made by Xian, same as Sibex.
    Spicer's are made in China (Xian Aerospace), Sibex are made in Russia. They do look similar.

I have 2 Ti Spicers (different eras) and both are fine - it's probably the only welded component from XACD I've had that hasn't broken yet. I also have a Ti Magmaa fork, which is nice.

I've seen broken forks in steel, Ti and carbon. Any time you ride a sub 2lb fork, you should probably keep an eye on it, it's just common sense.

All that said, the Pace forks have a good reputation.

mtbr member
    I think you got them from me! I have the Trigon fork and a different carbon fork-S.A.S.O-in my ebay store right now and both models are scheduled for auction this evening. You can click on my sig. to check them out. .

I am the owl
    14.11 LBS Single Speed Mountain Bike.

YES, and I could go lighter.
    YES, I do ride it and do small jumps, ride down stairs and do small drop offs (1-2 feet).
    No, I am not a 125 lbs rider either. Add about another 55 lbs.

http://www.light-bikes.com/bikegalle...ng.asp?id=1329
    That is scary light. Photo of that on a digital scale?
    SingleSpeedOutlaw .com
    Riding Bikes and Drinking Beer.

1 bike per day + 1 or 2
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by riderx
    That is scary light. Photo of that on a digital scale?
    Build list and weights not good enough hey

I will see what I can do to keep the doubters at bay. I just have to find the digital scale in all the boxes in the garage. Moving sucks and the workshop and bench always take a back seat to the rest of the house and Christmas. The next time I move it will be July if I ever move again.

I could still go lighter if I put my KCNC brakes and levers on there, went with an Easton EC90 flatbar and some Eggbeater 2Ti pedals. I am sure I could get it under 14lbs and it would still be rideable.

Wait till you see my new road SS/Fixed build that I am doing. It should be right around 14-15 lbs as well I hope.

- factotum -
    I've been using my XACD ti fork for 2 years now. It's flexy, yes. But I use it with an XTR hub, which is quite stiff and a Salsa brakebooster. It tracks very well. I am not scared.
    build: 410mm a-to-c, 1" steerer, 575gr. v-bake and disc option.

mtbyker, what about your spicer fork. what year? what height? disc brake used?

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I owned an RC31 in the past, and like it, but don't have any experience with the spicer fork for comparison. Based on forum feedback and customer info, it seems like the Pace has a much better track record as far as durability and longevity goes though.The idea of having a fork snap during a ride does not appeal to to many people and the spicer seems to be the more likely candidate to fail. As noted by a previous poster any sub 2 lb fork should be used with good judgement and not ridden with reckless abandon. Based on the info available and my experience with the RC31(although it was not a long term one) the RC31 would be the only choice between the two forks being compared.

There are some other decent alternatives worth mentioning as well.I recently bought a 26" Black Sheep SS equipped with a Quiring rigid MTB fork. Its a 445mm suspension corrected uni-crown design, and it is a reasonably light 2lbs 2 oz fork that really provides a lightweight feel with laser precision steering and great handling feel without being harsh.I have considered going back to a RC31 again to shave a bit of weight off the already light (19lbw/pedals) bike, but the weight savings of going with the Pace when equipped with the canti stud kit, makes it less attractive as an upgrade option. I also have the ability to run a 29" front (disk only) wheel with the Quiring fork if I decide to experiment with a 69er set-up. Just another option worth considering.

www.quiringcycles.net

Jeff

MLH
    mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    In the WVMBA series a guy broke his Spicer Ti fork and it then proceeded to skewer his arm as he fell.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pooh Bear
    I've been using my XACD ti fork for 2 years now. It's flexy, yes. But I use it with an XTR hub, which is quite stiff and a Salsa brakebooster. It tracks very well. I am not scared.
    build: 410mm a-to-c, 1" steerer, 575gr. v-bake and disc option.

mtbyker, what about your spicer fork. what year? what height? disc brake used?
    It was a 2002 (I think). Suspension correct (I think) 26" fork. It was V-brake only.....

mtbr member
    I would go for a Black Ops carbon. Both lighter and less expensive than the Pace and is the exact same fork as the White Bros. carbon fork. You can sometimes find them on Ebay and save even more.