mtbr member
    Jan 2013

Rigid Fork Question Redline Monocog

I'm looking to upgrade my rigid steel fork to a carbon rigid fork. I have no idea as to what specifications I should be looking for. I have a Redline Monocog 29er with V-brakes. I'm not sure of the year, but its been a great bike so far. My question is: what specifications do I need to be cautious about when purchasing a carbon rigid fork? Also, any recommendations on a good fork would be appreciated. I'm upgrading the V-brakes to some Avid bb7's, so I'm looking for a disc mount fork. I'm a weekend rider that attempts to race occasionally, but 2 jobs prevents me from training as much as I would like to. I've posted pics also. Thanks, any help would be much appreciated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rigid Fork Question Redline Monocog-imag0100.jpg  

Rigid Fork Question Redline Monocog-imag0101.jpg  

Rigid Fork Question Redline Monocog-imag0102.jpg  

mtbr member
    The Axle to Crown measurement and rake is what you need to match as close as possible. Not sure which carbon fork would work best, but just be aware that some have rider weight limits, which may not matter to you but I am a Clyde.

My axle to crown on my 2010 21" Monocog I have since sold was 474mm

See these posts for more detail:
    Rigid Fork Measure

Carbon rigid front fork for Monocog Flight 29er
    Klunk on............

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Thanks. What is the best way to measure that distance?

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quick question - Why do you want a carbon fork? If I were in your shoes, I would put your money towards a better wheelset, like Stan's Crest/Arch/Flows. The stock wheelset is HEAVY.

Also, your MC is a 2009, just FYI.

mtbr member
    I upgraded the wheels over the stock "boat anchors" and it made a world of difference to the ride quality. Still running the stock fork.

IMO phsycle has it right, you'll get more smiles per dollar with new wheels than you will with a carbon fork.

mtbr member
    More than likely he would still need a new fork for discs on a better wheelset, no?

I can't tell if the original fork is disc brake compatable.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by akaBrowntown View Post
    More than likely he would still need a new fork for discs on a better wheelset, no?

I can't tell if the original fork is disc brake compatable.
    Stock fork should be disc compatible, there are two bolts for the calipers on the left side of the fork. I have an '07 which is disc compatible so not sure why an '09 wouldn't be either.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wood3 View Post
    Thanks. What is the best way to measure that distance?
    see the first link I sent you , there is a diagram in there...
    Klunk on............

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AnonymouseTech View Post
    Stock fork should be disc compatible, there are two bolts for the calipers on the left side of the fork. I have an '07 which is disc compatible so not sure why an '09 wouldn't be either.
    Yes, there are disc mounts on the current forks but he wants to go to carbon.....
    Klunk on............

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I've been a ss for the past 6 months and I'm just looking to upgrade my bike. I started with the brakes (Avide BB7's). The fork seemed like a good place to continue, but I'll take your guys advice and start looking for a new wheelset. How much weight could I save on the bike going with a lighter wheelset? Also, I paid $250 for the bike and its difficult to upgrade the wheels for twice the value of the bike. However, if it makes a big difference to the ride I would be more then willing to upgrade the wheels. Thanks again for the advice.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Btw, the fork does have disc brake mounts. thanks.

mtbr member
    I've been a ss for the past 6 months and I'm just looking to upgrade my bike. I started with the brakes (Avide BB7's). The fork seemed like a good place to continue, but I'll take your guys advice and start looking for a new wheelset. How much weight could I save on the bike going with a lighter wheelset? Also, I paid $250 for the bike and its difficult to upgrade the wheels for twice the value of the bike. However, if it makes a big difference to the ride I would be more then willing to upgrade the wheels. Thanks again for the advice.
    I found a set of Easton XC One's on clear out for around $200 and they weigh IIRC 1700gms for the pair. Mixed reviews on them with regard to freehub reliability but with a 2 year Easton warranty (and for the price) I took a gamble. Weight difference over stock is HUGE, I found reference that the stock wheels are 2600gms, so that's just about 2lb lighter.

The big difference is that it is rotational weight you are saving. I've now beaten the snot out of the Eastons thru a Canadian winter of daily commuting and they are still rolling like new.

Browse around for clearout wheels and deals can be had.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    How much weight could I save on the bike going with a lighter wheelset?
    Err....depends on the weight of the new wheelset.....

Look on Stan's website. The Stans stock wheelsets are around $550 or so, but you may be able to get them cheaper on ebay. Which set (Crest/Arch/Flow) depends on your weight and riding style. Also, even though you're spending a lot on wheels, it's something you can swap over to a new frameset in the future, so think of it as an "investment."

Or driver bob's suggestion of the Easton wheels may be a cheaper/better alternative.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by irideiam View Post
    Yes, there are disc mounts on the current forks but he wants to go to carbon.....
    I was replying to another posters question regarding the original stock fork.

mtbr member
    Yeah I was on my phone. Actually picked up a monocog today.