theHeadlessThompsonGunner

New question here. Rigid fork for Chameleon

I'm going to get a rigid fork for my Chameleon, but can't decide which Surly to get--1 x 1, KM, or Instigator. The weight of the Instigator frightens me a bit, but I'm replacing (not permanently-- just for some rides) a Z1, and am more concerned about the head angle than anything else.

Any suggestions? A to C measurements would be really helpful, if anyone has them. It's also worth noting that finesse is not really my strongsuit, so a fork that can take a beating would be nice, at least until I'm really comfortable on a rigid, and better at choosing lines. That said, I haven't seen too much broken Surly stuff.
    "I've courted brain damage like some courtesan of darkness."

-The Good Doctor

blame me for missed rides
    I vote for instigator. it's corrected for 100mm sussy forks which is exactly what chameleon is designed for.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    My Chameleon came with an instigator on it.Seemed ok but I added the Fox!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

my experience with Surly 1x1.......

Good fork. I was replacing an 80mm JudyT2. With the 1x1 and a Maxxis Mobster 2.7" tire my head angle remained the same as with the boinger fork sagged (me on the bike). The fork is shorter but the wheel is larger in outside diameter - 27" instead of 26". Surly was great in replying to my emailed questions, and shipped immediately. 413mm axel to crown, 2.34 lbs, 260mm steerer. A no worries company and product.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by SDizzle
    I'm going to get a rigid fork for my Chameleon, but can't decide which Surly to get--1 x 1, KM, or Instigator. The weight of the Instigator frightens me a bit, but I'm replacing (not permanently-- just for some rides) a Z1, and am more concerned about the head angle than anything else.

Any suggestions? A to C measurements would be really helpful, if anyone has them. It's also worth noting that finesse is not really my strongsuit, so a fork that can take a beating would be nice, at least until I'm really comfortable on a rigid, and better at choosing lines. That said, I haven't seen too much broken Surly stuff.
    I use a KM fork as a replacement for a XFly 100. Like it very much. The KM's a-c distance is basically the same as the XFly w/o sag. The Instigator is designed for a 100 mm with sag. It is also heavier (it is more of a jump fork) than the KM and should stronger and ride rougher.

Surly has the actual a-c specs for their forks on their site.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

theHeadlessThompsonGunner

... and if we just ... I dug around...

and could only find the specs for the KM fork. It's about 50 mm shorter than my Z1, which I've been running with a lot of sag, anyway. I think I'll go with the KM; I just don't need the girth of the Instigator fork, and can't imagine bending/breaking such a considerable piece of steel, anywhoo. Thanks, ya'll.
    "I've courted brain damage like some courtesan of darkness."

-The Good Doctor

rejected

Idea! Axle to crown lengths....

from bikeman.com

Surly KM 29er fork...
    468mm axle to crown distance with 43mm Rake.

Surly Instigator Fork...
    447mm axle to crown distance with 43mm Rake.

Surly 1X1 Fork...
    413mm axle to crown distance with 45mm Rake.

Recovering Weight Weenie

Get the Instigator fork.

Any suggestions? A to C measurements would be really helpful, if anyone has them. It's also worth noting that finesse is not really my strongsuit, so a fork that can take a beating would be nice, at least until I'm really comfortable on a rigid, and better at choosing lines. That said, I haven't seen too much broken Surly stuff.[/QUOTE]

The 1x1 HA is soooooo steep. It's like a road bike. I think the KM would be too tall for the Chameleon frame. I ran my KM on my Instigator frame.. was great.. since I usually run a z1. On the chameleon though.. i would go with the Instigator fork.

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    i've got a monkey fork on mine; works great. i think a bit lighter than the instigator, but taller too.

i've got a second one uncut/unused right now. you wanna check it out? then you could see how it feels, and if it's too tall, go for the instigator.

the one on my ionic, i dremeled the v-brake mounts off,since i'm using a 26" wheel anyhoe. scroll down a bit to the riding hall with eric thread and take a look at it.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper