mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Rigid fork A to C question....again.

I want to build my 2002 Jamis Dragon into a lightweight V-brake rig . It originally came with a 80mm squish up front and I want to go rigid. When figuring out what length fork to use is sag factored in and how does that translate to A to C length? All the suspension corrected forks for 80mm forks have an A to C of 445mm (which is pretty much the same as an 80mm squish @ rest) and I want to know if I can use a rigid fork with an A to C of 425mm? I have three forks in my basement to choose from;

Salsa cro-moto 445 A to C (disc only)
    Salsa cro-moto 425 A to C (disc and canti)
    Exotic carbon 425 A to C (disc and canti)

What are the pluses or minuses of either fork? If I use the shorter A to C fork, how will that impact my ride/handling? \

Thanks in advance!
    "Just remember, all bikes have front suspension once you put your hands on the handlebars!" - 1SPD

Ovaries on the Outside
    This is sounding like an incredibly long and opinionated trip down Untruth Lane.

Your bike is dialed in for a certain head angle. Taller and shorter forks will change that head angle. This coul be a problem for you. Or not. I have a ~415ish a-c for a similar frame. I think it is perfect. I also think Annie's Mac and Cheese can be pretty perfect as well. If I don't feel like cooking.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by umarth
    This is sounding like an incredibly long and opinionated trip down Untruth Lane.
    LOL! Yeah it's kinda' like BB7's or hydro's, 853 or 4130, etc.

Part of the reason is that the 445mm fork would seem as though your riding locked out (no compression) and the 425mm SEEMS closer to the normal riding geo.

I could be wrong.....so so very wrong though.
    "Just remember, all bikes have front suspension once you put your hands on the handlebars!" - 1SPD

mtbr member
    if you already have all those forks just go ride them all and test for yourself. Then you can come back and tell us how it impacted your ride/handling

I always prefer testing to speculating and the only reason I don't do it more is how expensive it gets to order a couple options for anything I want, lol

Ovaries on the Outside
    Quote Originally Posted by boomn
    if you already have all those forks just go ride them all and test for yourself. Then you can come back and tell us how it impacted your ride/handling

I always prefer testing to speculating and the only reason I don't do it more is how expensive it gets to order a couple options for anything I want, lol
    I want to see a camparison between the carbon fiber and steel fork, personally. blak_byke, you have some work to do.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Oh...so just because

1) I have the forks in question/to be tested (in my very own possession)
    2) It is MY bike (in my very own basement)
    3) I am the one that will be riding it (in my very own backyard)

are you saying that it is incumbent upon me, myself and even "I" to do this myself? The nerve of you guys to insist such a thing!!

Now to LBS to get a couple extra crown races to put on the other forks and brake caliper and rotor and.........

mtbr member
    Basically for two forks if the same a to c. The carbon should be flexier and I don't think the salsa fork is all that flexy to begin with
    SS Rigid =
    Quote Originally Posted by gjenkins@
    There is no distraction. You only hear the sound of your breath and the crunch of the wheels across the dirt.