Thread: Rigid Fork

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Rigid Fork

Im thinking fo converting over to a rigid fork and im really loving the niner carbon rigid. I only run 26" wheels that are usually around 2.35" Im also using XTR rim breaks. any help would be greatly appreciated..

do you think i could get away with running the niner carbon rigid with a larger gap between the tire and the crown?

PSYCHOLUST
    RIM brakes is the deal breaker, NO WAY to run them on a NINER fork, as it is disc only and any 29er fork that has v-brake bosses won't have them where you need them to be for running a 26 inch wheel

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    i can convert and pickup a bb7 caliper if its really necessary. im just looking for suggestions on what a good rigid fork would be reccomended by you guys that would fit my current setup.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I've read a good review on Dirtrag about Igleheart forks. 350 $ is a bit of dough, however. Here's the link:

http://www.iglebike.com/forks.html

Surly also make forks

http://surlybikes.com/parts/instigator_fork/

Both of the above have Canti mounts and I am not sure these would or would not work with V-Brakes. Anyone know?

Low Rep Count
    I am riding a http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...k.aspx?sc=FRGL and am very pleased with it. I do however have disc brakes.

Here is a link to their site. I don't see an option to run v brakes though. http://www.whitebrotherscycling.com/rock.shtml

mtbr member
    Winwood makes a carbon mountain fork with brake studs....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rigid Fork-vert_lg_purist.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    i would recomend the origin 8 black ops carbon fork. It is suspension corrected to 100mm for a 26 and 80mm for a 29er (we double checked them and the correction is accurate) it comes with removable brake bosses that can be located at what ever height you need them to be at. I have been running the fork on my Salsa Selma for the last 2 months and it has been a great investment.

if you're interested in more info you can call the store at 812-423-2524 and talk to Nick or Marshall as we both run the forks (one on a 26 and the other on a 9er).
    '99 GT Aggressor 1x9 XT shadow, race face ride XC and Judy TT's and Panaracer XC pro

'09 Fisher Paragon 29'er

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Am I absolutely dumb to be paranoid about using a carbon fork off road?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by scyule
    RIM brakes is the deal breaker, NO WAY to run them on a NINER fork, as it is disc only and any 29er fork that has v-brake bosses won't have them where you need them to be for running a 26 inch wheel
    What scyule said, and before you run off and buy the first deal on a crabon fork. Check this thread for info on sizing your fork: Tim's guide for putting a ridgid fork on a bike

Next decide if crabon will suit your applications better over steel options (especially if you are going rigid for the first time). After riding a steel stock fork for many years, I just had a custom steel fork made to my weight and riding style which is just as light as a crabon fork and was the same price. 95% of crabon rigid forks are made by Saso Ė WB and the rest just put their stickers on them. Durability, life expectancy, and ride feel IMO canít beat a well made steel fork.