mtbr member

Rigid fork for a 26" HT

I have a 2011 trek 6000 that I would like to convert to a rigid fork. It comes from the factory with a 100mm RS tora fork and 26'' wheels. Would it be possible to use a 46.5cm exotic carbon fork made for a 29er? I would like to keep the geometry as close to stock as possible. Also, if you feel there is a better fork out there please lmk. Sorry if this has been covered before but I have tried "searching" and have had no luck. But it's highly possible that I have been doing it wrong. lol
    Thank you for your time.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nostayhome View Post
    I have a 2011 trek 6000 that I would like to convert to a rigid fork. It comes from the factory with a 100mm RS tora fork and 26'' wheels. Would it be possible to use a 46.5cm exotic carbon fork made for a 29er? I would like to keep the geometry as close to stock as possible. Also, if you feel there is a better fork out there please lmk. Sorry if this has been covered before but I have tried "searching" and have had no luck. But it's highly possible that I have been doing it wrong. lol
    Thank you for your time.
    I think you should measure the a-c of your stock sus fork in sagged position. Then try to find a fork that has roughly the same a-c and trail in order to maintain the geometry of the ride. I would think that 465mm is a little too long. The 100mm sus corrected salsa cromoto fork has an a-c of 445. I don't know much about carbon forks so can't give an example of a 100mm sus corrected carbon fork, sorry. As far as possible, I think the trek headtube is for a steerer of 1.125 and is not tapered. As long as the steerer of the carbon fork is straight 1 1/8 then it's possible, but the geometry will not be the same as stock.
    No fuss with my MUSS,... or my Rockies
    Yes, I've fffound it!

mtbr member
    Thank you for taking the time to reply. The a-c is approx. 457.2mm in the sag position. With the bike unloaded it's approx. 476.25mm. Would it be better to go down 12mm to the 445 fork or up 8mm to the 465 fork?

1*14*29*2.1 & 1*1*29*2.4
    Nov 2009
    The Hylix fork is 460...I have been using one for light duty and it's been fine so far. Could use more rake though so may not be what you want. Also the decals are hideous so I covered them with black reflective tape. the Exotic fork doesn't sound too far off, but you may feel it. I'd probably give it a go based on your measurements. Have a think about your BB height and saddle position with the short and long forks. I put the 460 on my 29er (should probably have been 480)...turned it into a hybrid bike much nicer on the road but I have to watch BB clearance for off road. Steeper HTA hasn't been an issue for the use of this bike, as I am going slower with the rigid fork and 40c tyres, but your use could push you the other way if you want to avoid a steeper HTA.

CB2
    Jam Econo
    Salsa Cromoto comes in 445 mm A/C. It'll weigh about a 1/2 pound more than carbon, but it is a great riding fork.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I'm happy with Surly 1x1 fork. If you want carbon, I've heard good things about White Bros and Trigon.

local trails rider
    I'd go for the 445 mm (or so) fork to replace a 100mm suspension fork.

I put a 465 mm dirt jumper fork ón my 26" bike that is meant for 120mm minimum suspension forks. I got good geometry but that kind of a fork is naturally pretty --- rigid.

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

mtbr member
    Thank you everyone for your thoughts/comments. They have really helped me in making a decision. I have decided to go with the 445mm fork as most of my riding will be done on the road and very mild trails. I also have a FS bike for those not so tame trails. lol
    Thank you again everyone for all your help!!!