zeebot

rigid = bad for wrists?

Just curious on what others think about this one. I ride really rocky and technical terrain and plan on riding pisgah on my rigid in about 2 weeks. i'm wondering if i'm tearing my wrists up.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

My old rigid bike gave me wrist problems

I'll probably get flamed for that.

I used to ride a Kona rigid bike that I bought in 1990, then shocks came out. I was riding alot of technical, rocky terrain around Lake Tahoe and my back and wrists were getting hammered. That last summer that I rode rigid, after each ride I was having to practically extract myself from my bike because my back hurt, and my hands & wrists were just always sore. I was in my late 20's so it wasn't because of age or anything, but when I put on a new Rock Shox Quadra my pain went away in a week or 2, it was amazing.

I haven't had back/wrist pain since. FWIW.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Spookykinkajou
    Just curious on what others think about this one. I ride really rocky and technical terrain and plan on riding pisgah on my rigid in about 2 weeks. i'm wondering if i'm tearing my wrists up.
    Only if you're holding on too tight/locking your wrists and elbows. Stay loose, use your whole arm as a "shock absorber".

(edit: this is assuming you don't have some preexisting condition/damage, and that you fall within an "average" size range - i.e.: you aren't an uberclyde - as subsequent posts have alluded to)
    Last edited by Drewdane; 04-19-2004 at 10:18 AM. Reason: ceteris parabus

banned

if you have structural problems in your wrist(s), yes

I have a floppy unstable right wrist. my first SS was fully rigid and I know how to use my body as a shock absorber, but still the right wrist was sore sore sore every time I rode.

I know others who can ride fully rigid w/o problems.

I'd say it's half-and-half, technique and physical capability. I'm handicapped by my right wrist, but otherwise would be happy riding rigid SS on certain trails.

Has a 19 inch Unit

tried rigid for 2 weeks....

wrists were so sore I had to go back to suspension. I do ride rather technical rocky terrain, and I ride aggresively. I am also a pretty big guy wieghing in at about 200 lbs. All in all suspension was the way to go for me

JG

mtbr member

wrist vs knee

My wrists are fine on my ss (a steel plowboy w/ a kelly rigid fork). But I have knee issues- leftover surgeries, etc. I agree that it is a combination of technical skills, and physical capabilities. Weight is certainly a factor. I'm only a buck fifty so I may be able to get away with more.

cause it's fun
    Jan 2004
    only if you're a wussie! j/k

I think that you have to adjust your riding style when riding rigid. It's also important to keep your weight off the front end, and don't put the vulcan death grip on the handle bars. Remember "Don't squeeze the Charmin"? Same rule applies.
    bus driver wanna be

glyphic bacon

stick a fork on it

Not all wrists are made equal. Fact is some people have wrists of iron and rigids don't bother them a bit, even over lots of harsh rocky/rooty terrain. I rode a steel bike (gearie) rigid for years before finally going suspended. I never thought that riding a rigid was that bad, my wrists didn't cause me problems or anything (other than occasional, minor naggy pangs). But after riding with a suspended fork for a coupla years, recently I rode my Zaskar convert (aluminum) with a rigid fork and...well, OUCH. My wrists were in a good bit of pain after only a ride or two.

To be fair, I think half the problem was that I wasn't picking my lines as efficiently as I should have been, causing more jarring/impact than necessary. And I didn't give myself much time to recoup and acclimate before saying "to hell with it" and switching back to suspended. But overall, I've decided that a sussy fork is just the way to go. I can hammer down hills, if I'm stuck in a bad line at least I can just bludgeon through it, I don't perceive any significant energy loss mashing uphills (even without a lockout), and especially as I get older I think my wrists will thank me in the long run. Sure, sussy forks are more expensive, can be a pain to maintain (although mine isn't), are a little heavier, but the tradeoff is worth it IMHO.

Appalachian Singletrack'n

I enjoy riding Rigid but in Pisgah?

Long rides in Pisgah are hard enough on full suspended geared bike. You want to ride SS and on top of that a rigid one? If there was ever a place to use suspension Pisgah is it. If itís a mountain bike vacation to the region I think you would get more riding in and feel better throughout the vacation with a little give in the front. Donít get me wrong, I enjoy my rigid fork, Its great fun in many situations but not all.
    Last edited by Endomaniac; 04-19-2004 at 01:25 PM.

zeebot
    Quote Originally Posted by Endomaniac
    Long rides in Pisgah are hard enough on full suspended geared bike. You want to ride SS and on top of that a rigid one? If there was ever a place to use suspension Pisgah is it. If it’s a mountain bike vacation to the region I think you would get more riding in and feel better throughout the vacation with a little give in the front. Don’t get me wrong, I enjoy my rigid fork, Its great fun in may situations but not all.
    I talked to a shop near davidson river where i'll be staying and they can rent me a full suspension xc or freeride bike so i'm debating that option. The other option is buying a fox 80rlt for $450 from my lbs and slapping that on the SS. i'd really prefer to SS since i dont like geared bikes all that much... Boone is making me a 21T cog, in fact, it's probably in the mail today so i'll be 34-21, 34-20 or 34-18...plus i'm doing some races this summer that will be equal to or more challenging since it'll force me to ride faster and longer to compete and they will be done on my single speed!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Obviously a question asked from someone who has grown up with suspension forks!

The bottom line is that if you're used to suspension then you're gonna feel the difference, especially fatigue in your lower arms. Agree with one of the postings above, hold the bars looser than you would with suspension forks and bend your arms to absorb shock.

I've only ever raced rigid even though I have suspension on other bikes - it's my preference just as there are plenty who will only ever use suspension.

My wrists are quite narrow and I've never had a problem... even after a broken scaphoid (bone in the wrist) which I was lucky not to have a bone graft to fix because it healed near-perfect at the 11th hour. Ironically, I didn't even know it was broken for a month (bike accident - they were more concerned with stitching up my head!) and raced with it like that a couple of times and held the bars a little looser to stop the shock paining my wrist too much.

With the right technique you'll not tear up your wrists but maybe you're too used to the luxury of suspension doing all the work for you...

zeebot
    My wrists dont hurt from the rigid and yes i am coming from a 4" plush 'zokey.. I was just curious if the harder shots they are definitely capable of taking have caused problems over long usage.

My wrists do hurt though right now(and thats the reason this question came to my head) because, sorry if this is a repeat from another post i forget, a week ago i flipped over the front of the bars and landed on both pretty hard directly on a big rock. i suppose they are slightly jammed or sprained or something. anyways, i rode a race on saturday and they didnt hurt at all during the race but they didnt feel better either afterwards...they may have been a TAD more tender but nothing terrible and i attribute some of that to just being really tired.

Probably drunk right now

I love riding rigid....

My wrists dont hurt from the rigid and yes i am coming from a 4" plush 'zokey.. I was just curious if the harder shots they are definitely capable of taking have caused problems over long usage.

My wrists do hurt though right now(and thats the reason this question came to my head) because, sorry if this is a repeat from another post i forget, a week ago i flipped over the front of the bars and landed on both pretty hard directly on a big rock. i suppose they are slightly jammed or sprained or something. anyways, i rode a race on saturday and they didnt hurt at all during the race but they didnt feel better either afterwards...they may have been a TAD more tender but nothing terrible and i attribute some of that to just being really tired.
    My shoulders and wrists however, hate it. As others have mentioned, loosening up and flowing will help a lot, but there are times when you pick the wrong line. At those times, riding rigid impacts your joints more (another way to say this is that a front shock provides a margin of error for mistakes).

What I found is that eventually, I started to suffer from joint discomfort. Kind oof lke a tennis elbow type discomfort in my wrists and shoulders. I used to play raquetball and my elbows would eventually start hurting to the point where I couldn't swing a raquet (tennis elbow). When I felt my wrists and shoulders starting to feel like that, I switched to a shock.

I prefer rigid because real or imagined, I think I flow better on the trails. I seem to get a feel for the trail better, I'm more in tune or some other riding Zen comes over me. I can't really explain it other than it's a feeling I have, so perhaps it's all in my head.

I have a fork on my bike because my joints started aching and I didn't want to have to stop riding to nurse a potential injury.

Ken