Thread: Rig sizing help

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Rig sizing help

I am 6' 2" and am going to buy a GF rig. Any thoughts on which size of a rig I should get? Large or XLarge.
    Thanks

MTBR.com Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by jims
    I am 6' 2" and am going to buy a GF rig. Any thoughts on which size of a rig I should get? Large or XLarge.
    Thanks
    There's a couple of measurements that you need to make on yourself.
    First find out the standover height of the top tube on the bike.
    Then grab a tape measure, stand with your back against the wall in your stocking feet.
    Measure the distance from the floor to the bottom of your crotch (no pc way of saying that)
    Some say stick a thin piece of board between your legs and lift (holding it perpendicular to the wall) the board until it rests against that piece of skin between your sphincter and your jewels. Then measure the distance to the floor from the board. Ideally (I've been told) the measurement you come up with should be at least one inch higher than the standover height of the top tube.

The next measurement is the length of your arm from your shoulder to the center of your palm combined with the distance from your shoulder to your hip. Compare this measurement to the distance from the center of the seat to the handle bar grips. This will tell you how close the fit of the 'cockpit' is currently and if it's close, you can just move the seat back or forward. In some cases you can consider changing the stem length and or the handlebars (risers, greater sweep, etc.). The idea (I think) is that you should be able to comfortably reach the bars and leave your elbows slightly bent. Being able to move the seat around a small amount to accomplish this is usually acceptable.

There must be more scientific ways of getting the proper measurements, but these kinda make sense to me. They cover the import points of contact on the bike.

Education Coordinator for Bicycle Trails Council of the East Bay
    www.btceb.org
    Help us support open and multi-use trails.

Shreddin the Cul de Sac

Compare to your gearie.

Are you happy with the way your geared bike fits? Compare the measurements to the ones listed here:

http://www.fisherbikes.com/bikes/siz...nesis&bike=Rig

I'm about your size and I'd go w/ the 19", but I like frames on the smaller size.

Quote Originally Posted by jims
    Thanks
    keep moving