Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Baby Bear is in the house

Reynolds 853 frame at Nashbar

For only USD199!

I know it's not a(n) SS-specific frame, but that's easily remedied by a good conversion kit.

If the shipping didn't exceed the price of the frame, I'd gobble this up! And the 15.5" is just my size

Don't know about the quality of the welds, but it's a cheap way to get on to good steel.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Better to have and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Jeez...how much is the shipping???

Quote Originally Posted by 4SEVEN3
    Jeez...how much is the shipping???
    I didn't check yet, but if it's similar to other sites, it's likely at least the same cost as the frame itself

I'm in Asia.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    don't know where in Asia you are from but this frame is likely from your neighborhood. Have you checked out the frames on eBay from those Asian sellers? Could save you some shipping and it might also be cheaper.

I'm invisible.
    Quote Originally Posted by yakswak
    don't know where in Asia you are from but this frame is likely from your neighborhood. Have you checked out the frames on eBay from those Asian sellers? Could save you some shipping and it might also be cheaper.
    I have never seen 853 frames selling directly from Taiwan or China on Ebay. If I did, I would be cautious about buying one. There is a well developed black market operating out of mainland China selling counterfeit frames and parts.
    Signature space intentionally left blank.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    That looks like a sweet deal!! the built up one on their website is SS with a tensioner! Get it
    When you give food to the poor, they call you a saint. When you ask why the poor have no food, they call you a communist.

bhc
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Just wait a few days and the next 15% or 20% off coupon will be out.

i call it a kaiser blade
    May 2008
    i have NEVER seen a REAL cromo (columbus or reynolds) frame come out of china or taiwan.

the ones on sale in the US are made here or in canada. they're not going to ship steel made in america or canada over to taiwan or china to make a discount cromo frame.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Ha, sorry guys. Reynolds is American isn't it?

mtbr member
    Funny that the built-up pic of that frame is a SS with a tensioner. Too bad its not a 29er.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I have a Zion 853 I got a few years ago set up with an eccentric rear hub it's a great frame.

I'm invisible.
    Quote Originally Posted by eat_dirt
    i have NEVER seen a REAL cromo (columbus or reynolds) frame come out of china or taiwan.

the ones on sale in the US are made here or in canada. they're not going to ship steel made in america or canada over to taiwan or china to make a discount cromo frame.
    Taiwan produces many good steel frames. They have for a long time. What I don't trust is an offshore based retailer, especially on Ebay.
    Signature space intentionally left blank.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by r1Gel
    For only USD199!

I know it's not a(n) SS-specific frame, but that's easily remedied by a good conversion kit.

If the shipping didn't exceed the price of the frame, I'd gobble this up! And the 15.5" is just my size

Don't know about the quality of the welds, but it's a cheap way to get on to good steel.
    That frame is very nice, even at twice the price. Check out my buddy's one here: http://www.thebikegeek.com/2007/12/0...-orange-crush/

I'm in Singapore, and shipping a frame here is crazy expensive too because of the package size limit (79") on USPS Priority to Singapore, however, to Hong Kong is not expensive because the limit is still 108" for USPS Priority. So I have big items shipped to my Hong Kong office first (USPS Priority for a frame less than $60), and then from Hong Kong to Singapore costs only about $25.

-adept1
    2010 Giant Anthem X
    Friends don't let friends ride Tune hubs.

mtbr member

Great frame

I picked up this frame about 2 years ago and built it up as a single speed right away. The quality is spot on and the ride is amazing. For the price you really can't go wrong. As far as strength of the welds, I have put it through a lot of abuse (Tunnel Trail - Santa Barbara, Nobel Canyon - San Diego, Downieville). That being said it seems that this bike can take quite a bit. The ride is amazing (as to be expected from Reynolds 853) the geometry gives it a really stable and aggressive feel. The bike does amazing on descending (at least for me) and climbs really well (lots of room in the cockpit, again a subjective idea). As a whole the bike is great, I love it. I am running a tensioner that pushes the chain up (Like the STS)

mtbr member

pics

Oh by the way here are some pics of mine...
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    From what I've been reading lately just because the bike says 853 it doesn't always mean the entire frame is 853.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eastspur
    From what I've been reading lately just because the bike says 853 it doesn't always mean the entire frame is 853.
    That is very common on steel bikes, to use a nicer steel for the main triangle and CroMo for the rear end. For example the Niner SIR9 and MCR9 are both 853 for the front triangle only too

mtbr member

Wrong!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by boomn
    That is very common on steel bikes, to use a nicer steel for the main triangle and CroMo for the rear end. For example the Niner SIR9 and MCR9 are both 853 for the front triangle only too
    NINER SIR and MCR are full 853 - yep, the whole shabang. Front tri and all stays.

Sorry to call BS, but what you said is an assumption and not a fact. Ask chris and steve at niner bikes for more info.
    Sit and spin my ass...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zion Rasta
    NINER SIR and MCR are full 853 - yep, the whole shabang. Front tri and all stays.

Sorry to call BS, but what you said is an assumption and not a fact. Ask chris and steve at niner bikes for more info.
    I really don't like spreading misinformation so thank you for the correction. Bad example I guess; I just wanted to point out that it isn't uncommon for steel frames to have higher spec front triangles. Anyway, I did just notice that Nashbar's page for their 853 frame specifically states that it has CroMo stays

Did i misinterpret the description on their page though? Here is says "4.5 pound custom drawn Reynolds 853 main triangle with size specific tubing" Once you mentioned it I tried to search for more info on these frames and found some recent reviews stating it was full 853 and an older one from George at Bike29 stating it had a CroMo rear end. I do believe you though; but the internet can be a confusing place sometimes

EDIT: after re-reading that description a bunch of times I think I got it. It should say something more like "4.5 pound Reynolds 853 tubing with custom drawn main triangle" Can I just blame this one on the English language?

Beware the Blackbuck!
    Mar 2008
    I was under the impression, after reading Niner's site, that only the main triangle was 853. It was kind of disappointing, I'm excited to hear I was wrong... But are there any links to an official source? I may end up just emailing them about it, but I'd hate to be one of 12 people emailing them the same question after we all saw this thread on here...

mtbr member

No biggie

Quote Originally Posted by boomn
    I really don't like spreading misinformation so thank you for the correction. Bad example I guess; I just wanted to point out that it isn't uncommon for steel frames to have higher spec front triangles. Anyway, I did just notice that Nashbar's page for their 853 frame specifically states that it has CroMo stays

Did i misinterpret the description on their page though? Here is says "4.5 pound custom drawn Reynolds 853 main triangle with size specific tubing" Once you mentioned it I tried to search for more info on these frames and found some recent reviews stating it was full 853 and an older one from George at Bike29 stating it had a CroMo rear end. I do believe you though; but the internet can be a confusing place sometimes

EDIT: after re-reading that description a bunch of times I think I got it. It should say something more like "4.5 pound Reynolds 853 tubing with custom drawn main triangle" Can I just blame this one on the English language?
    No problem bro. Zion Rasta is very insensitive cyber character in the internet. ZR has got better over the years, but at least you can count on brutal honesty. Just the way it developed.

From ZR creator - Anyways, if you do a search, I think there was a debate of why anyone would pay $800 for a niner steel frame when you can get a vassago or an on-one for half the price. Specially when they are all "made" in Taiwan. Well, Niners are welded in Taiwan, but the tubing is processed in Europe.
    Either way, I am sure the on-one, vassago, and the rocky montain (same as the nashbar) steel frame all ride really nice and it is hard to tell the diff in the trail. My Large SIR is about 23lbs with a reba race on its SS config.

Now back to the point. If Nashbar would have made this frame in 29 they would have sold them fast. I am wondering if they can get the same 29er frame that rocky mountain uses for their SS 29er. It would make a lot of folks happy
    Sit and spin my ass...

mtbr member

Here it is!

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowsCast
    I was under the impression, after reading Niner's site, that only the main triangle was 853. It was kind of disappointing, I'm excited to hear I was wrong... But are there any links to an official source? I may end up just emailing them about it, but I'd hate to be one of 12 people emailing them the same question after we all saw this thread on here...
    Check out the clarification on the Niner steel tubing by Chris from Niner Bikes:
    SIR vs. Inbred

"I think an important point here needs to be clarified.

Niner uses Reynolds 853 tubing exclusively. Reynolds 853 steel is a special boutique steel made in Birmingham, England. From England, our tubes are then shipped off to Germany where they are mandrel butted and and milled to our exact specifications for each size frame. This is an extremely costly process but yields a steel tube that is strong, supple and very very light - often more than a pound lighter than a butted 4130 steel frame.

Reynolds 853 steel is considered by many boutique builders - Independent Fabrication to mention one, to be the finest steel tubing available. Tubing is something we didn't want to skimp on with our frames, and we've had countless owners email us back saying our stock $800 853 frames ride as good if not better than their custom made 853 frames. One down side is we have a very long lead time on this tubing...so if you have waited a long time for a SIR9 or MCR9, then this is the reason. "

Chris & Steve,
    Niner Bikes
    Sit and spin my ass...

Quote Originally Posted by yakswak
    Ha, sorry guys. Reynolds is American isn't it?
    No. Reynolds is actually British.

Quote Originally Posted by disease
    I have never seen 853 frames selling directly from Taiwan or China on Ebay. If I did, I would be cautious about buying one. There is a well developed black market operating out of mainland China selling counterfeit frames and parts.
    FYI, a Taiwanese company called Rikulau, produces their own branded high end bicycle frames. They use Reynolds 853 and Ti for MTB and road frames (and even Reynolds 953 for road frames).

(no, I'm not Taiwanese; I'm from the Philippines)

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by eat_dirt

Bullsh1t. Many of the big manufacturers have their 853 frames produced in taiwan by companies like maxway, who I believe make this frame for nashbar. http://www.maxway.com.tw/cgi-bin/com...profile_lst.pl
    Pretty sure they make jamis dragons for one.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast