Chris Bling

... and if we just ... Revival of the Fittest! Tire Decision Time

So its been quite a while since I have been 100% ridged singlespeeder, and believe me, I have missed it. I got tangled up with fancy suspension and gears. (it sounds so funny saying this stuff again ) I was reminiscing back in the good ole days when I was in super singlespeed shape and could outclimb everyone. Needless to say I have not enjoyed that for quite some time (ever since I left singlespeeding and went to gears and suspension)

This being said, I have started reviving my singlespeed (that has been used most recently for a winter fitness Roller bike) and got my knobbies back on it and all ready to go. And also in good fashion, my rear tire that I put back on it is absolutely treadless! (goes back to my pre-real job days where no tread had to do) I have always used a panaracer Fire XC Pro UST for my back tire because of the awesome traction to size ration it has. I am realizing now that there are a million different types of good tires out there now which bring me to my next question.

Is there a good 2.1 tire that has a decent size volume, and still has good traction? I just put a high volume 2.4 on the front and that extra 'coosh' is great for the rocky trails!

Any suggestions? I have to have a 2.1 because of my ride. A vintage '97 Voodoo Bizango wont accept very big tires

thanks for you thoughts, and its good to be back!
    Last edited by dustyduke22; 08-21-2011 at 06:18 PM.
    The obsession of wheels fused with the passion of cycling
    Affordable Custom Wheels

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I really like combination of Kenda small block eight in the rear and fire xc pro in the front...
    Friends don't let friends ride geared bikes

mtbr member
    I've gone to Continental Race Kings 2.2 (more like a 2.1) and Continental Mountain Kings 2.4 up front. A really nice riding combo and the Conti's grip really well in wet conditions. I like the Race Kings so much that I bought 4 extras because they were really hard to get a hold of in a 29er for a long time. Not sure if they are readily available now or not. I switched from my Racing Ralph's and Conti's are half the price per tire, and ride better.

CB2
    Jam Econo
    What are the trail conditions you ride? Your profile says Utah, mostly dry? My favorite all time 26" tire is the WTB Mutanoraptor 2.4". Rolls fast, relatively light for it's size, and hooks up pretty well in most of the conditions I've used it in (New England; from dry and sandy to wet and slimy, but not peanut butter thick mud).
    For consistently drier conditions the Panaracer Razor MX 2.3 was pretty good, especially for a rear tire. Fast rolling, good volume and weight, but hates moisture.

Apr 2007
    Guys, he's looking for 26 x ~2.1 tires.

dustyduke - if you're in Utah, I highly recommend Maxxis Crossmark. About $40 from Pricepoint. I've also had good luck with Larsen TT's (2.0's). SB8 bomber memtioned is good as well.

Chris Bling
    Quote Originally Posted by p nut View Post
    Guys, he's looking for 26 x ~2.1 tires.

dustyduke - if you're in Utah, I highly recommend Maxxis Crossmark. About $40 from Pricepoint. I've also had good luck with Larsen TT's (2.0's). SB8 bomber memtioned is good as well.

Looks like I need to change my profile, I have moved up to Northern Nevada last year. But conditions are mostly very dry and loose. I have never used the Crossmark, does it seem to wear well with the SS style of riding?
    Affordable Custom Wheels

Apr 2007
    Can't remember the mileage I got out of them, but they do wear well. I just built up a 26" SS and will be going with Crossmarks again. (rear only. Fronts will get something more beefy). They handle the chunk a bit better than the other two tires I mentioned.

Mtbr Forum Sponsor - Homebrewed Components
    Jul 2006
    i have ran the small block 8's for the past 5 years + and i really like them. They seem predictable, and they roll extremely fast. They're also light. I've tried others but always go back to the sb8's. They have a nice round profile which seems like it would be a bit more compliant than some. They also make a 2.3 version, which still rolls fast and is pretty light. If i were running rigid, i would throw that on.
    I run 26x2.1, medium high pressure (35-45psi). I did NOT have the same luck with these tires on a 29er, the sidewalls seemed to tear easy and it was just sketchy. It's weird how much different it was between the two wheel sizes...
    I live in San Diego, probably pretty close in terrain to Nevada.

Chris Bling

Thats some high pressure!

Quote Originally Posted by ISuckAtRiding View Post
    i have ran the small block 8's for the past 5 years + and i really like them. They seem predictable, and they roll extremely fast. They're also light. I've tried others but always go back to the sb8's. They have a nice round profile which seems like it would be a bit more compliant than some. They also make a 2.3 version, which still rolls fast and is pretty light. If i were running rigid, i would throw that on.
    I run 26x2.1, medium high pressure (35-45psi). I did NOT have the same luck with these tires on a 29er, the sidewalls seemed to tear easy and it was just sketchy. It's weird how much different it was between the two wheel sizes...
    I live in San Diego, probably pretty close in terrain to Nevada.
    Thanks for the info. I have never tried the small blocks or the crossmarks, so thats some great ideas. Do the small blocks or cross marks run wide or narrow. I might be able to get away with a 2.3......
    Affordable Custom Wheels

Mtbr Forum Sponsor - Homebrewed Components
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by dustyduke22 View Post
    Thanks for the info. I have never tried the small blocks or the crossmarks, so thats some great ideas. Do the small blocks or cross marks run wide or narrow. I might be able to get away with a 2.3......
    The small blocks seem to be about average in casing size. The knobs are very small, so the 2.3 might be similar in overall width to a 2.1 nevegal or something similarly knobby.
    For example, my 2.1 small block 8's run 2.04" from knob to knob, where a set of 2.1 nevegals run 2.2" from knob to knob. The casings are relatively the same size, about 1.9"

Chris Bling

UST vs Kevlar

So have you been running these tires tubeless or with tubes. I have run both UST tires and Kevlar beaded tires tubeless. Do you have any experience witht the tires you mentioned? I know some work better than other. For example, I am running some Ardent 2.4 non-UST tires tubeless on my El Guapo, and they work awesome.........

Thanks in advance
    Affordable Custom Wheels

Dive Bomber
    When I use 2.10 front I have no confidence at all comparing to 2.40 on rock garden.
    So I change the inner tube to 2.00-2.25 and getting better because I can run on low pressure, give me a a bit suspension and more traction.

You need to have very good skills to ride with narrow tires. I've tried 1.95 nevegal which is great although I still lack confidence in my skill.