The perfessor

Response to "Oval Rings" post.....

Ok, I am a fan of absoluteBLACK because I've been using one of their w/n chainrings for over a year now and definitely love it........that said, I bought one of their 32T / W-N / Oval chainrings for my 29er SS.......I finally got the drivetrain aligned so that it rolls flawlessly (took two rides to figure out the best alignment), then took it for a test ride........now, some people will tell you it takes a short break-in time to get used to oval but I did not really notice a difference between round vs. oval; that said, how it responded to certain sections of trail was slightly noticeable........when I had to stand and crank, I found no difference; on the flats / slight uphill trail sections, I did notice a smoother rhythm to spinning and the cadence seemed easier to maintain, so I felt more comfortable; downhill - N/A..............take what you want from this review, I'll post in about another 6 months how it performs in the long run..........Response to "Oval Rings" post.....-imag0157.jpgResponse to "Oval Rings" post.....-imag0147.jpg
    29er Ti SS Rigid / 29er SC Tallboy AL

Loving Life
    Thanks for the review, mine should be in the mail tonight or tomorrow so i'll post my experience with it

mtbr member
    Honestly I think the climbing is actually greatly improved with these oval rings. My rear wheel has not spun out since I put one of these on.

Loving Life
    Chainring just came in the mail today and I have a race this Saturday that has a ridiculous climb so i'll post how it goes when I pre ride tomorrow

Loving Life
    Looks like i'll have to wait a little while longer for my oval ring unfortunately. Receive mine in the mail today and it was the traditional round ring. In my rush the purchase it I selected the wrong option.

The ring fits beautifully on my xx1 cranks but it obviously iss no different than the 32t I had previous.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I'm running the WT oval on my SS and love it!

For me, when standing on a climb, it feels like I'm climbing up stairs. The up stroke feels shorter, so it gets to the down stroke sooner. I typically do a lot of sprint climb attacks on my rides and can feel it in the knees the next day or during the ride. With the oval, I did not get this sensation.

On long grinders, I tend to rotate standing and sitting, and also change muscle groups a lot. When seated, I'll mash with the quads as long as possible, then power up using mostly hamstrings on the upstroke, and finally use both in rhythm as I fatigue. This is where I noticed a huge difference. I could not generate as much power on the upstroke. I had to rely more on the quads. It wasn't terrible, just different.

The oval will stay on the SS, but I still a prefer traditional ring on a geared bike. My hammy stroke really helps me through the steep sections...

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Do you ever feel it on the knees?
    It's my understanding that oval rings in the past were bad for the knees....but shouldn't knock it before I try it

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Singletrackd View Post
    Do you ever feel it on the knees?
    It's my understanding that oval rings in the past were bad for the knees....but shouldn't knock it before I try it
    I feel it more in my knees now when I go back to round rings.

The perfessor
    - I didn't feel any problem around my knees but I haven't put this new ring to the full test yet, that comes in the next couple of days when I do a training run which consists of climbing the Granny Hill @ Chicopee Trails, drop back down, climb again, etc... until I am too tired to climb again.......I have to admit, the oval ring is noticeable in the flats and slight uphill grades but until I have time to see how the climbing is affected, I won't render a judgement unfairly........I'm getting older (52) so I am looking for small advantages when riding but my SS is my training bike - it keeps me in shape for riding the mountain trails in the southern Appalachians.........

mtbr member
    How long did it take to get your rings from the time of order? I ordered mine about 10 days ago. I figure it takes at least that long...just curious.
    Cannondale F29 carbon
    Cannondale Carbon Synapse
    Misfit Psycles diSSent SS

The perfessor
    - my order came out of Minneapolis, MN, so it was here (GA) within a week.......

mtbr member
    Be careful of your knees, as this ring will make you ride a harde gear than you should. I have lots of training and a 24hr on one. I love I love the ring but be conservative with gear choice....

Loving Life
    Alright, so I received my red 32t oval ring last night for my xx1 cranks. I removed the spider and installed the ring, very nice machining and it looks great. I didn't need to adjust chain tension it was fine how it was.

I just test rode it out around the block and at first I forgot I had an oval ring on. There was no noticeable difference at first. The only time I noticed a difference was under high cadence spinning. There was a part of the pedal stroke that felt "easy" almost like the crank was propelling forward at the point right before the power stroke.

If the weather holds I will have a race tonight that goes up a loose steep service road that was barely manageable under a regular 32t-17 regular ring. It will be interesting to see how the oval ring acts under bad rear end traction