meh?

Replacement EBB compatibility

I've got a SC Chameleon (2010) and the EBB's creaking. I'm just wondering what the standards are for EBBs. Like width, circumference, ect.

I just want to know what I need to look for to make sure that I purchase the correct size.

meh?
    Nothing? I'll post this in the Chameleon thread I guess.

No one's replaced an EBB with something other than what their manufacturer installed initially?

mtbr member
    What have you done for maintaining your BB? Have you watched this video about EBB service ? Might be worth a try. If that doesn't work...

Is your BB 68 or 73mm? If 68, maybe a bushnell, carver, or even niner? I think bushnell may make one for the 73 as well. Bushnell and Carver are wedge or expanding type EBBs and the Niner may take some machining on the BB face for it to work.

meh?
    Thanks, I hadn't seen that. I'll give it a try.

Trail Junkie
    Call up SC, they will give you the details, but I would try giving it some cleaning first. You may find that it can be fixed! Basically, remove the bottom bracket, take the EBB out, and degrease it along with the inside of the EBB tube. Relube the face of the tube with anti-seize or some decent marine grease. Wrap the portions of the EBB that contact the frame with teflon tape (plummer's tape) and carefully reinstall. Also, while you're at it, inspect the bottom bracket to ensure that isn't the actual part making the creak....you'd be surprised! Once everything is installed and torqued to spec, give it a go and see.

If it does need to be replaced, chances are the Niner version won't work. As Jetboy mentioned, the EBB tube will have to be faced to Niner specs. You are better off with a Bushnell. They make a great EBB!

Jetboy- I see a Hooligan! I had a Dillinger in the same clearcoat! Such a great looking frame!!! I am actually trying to work with Chad on a warranty for it. The EBB bolt holes cracked on the frame
    Santa Cruz Tallboy c
    Lynskey Pro29 SS
    Cervelo S2
    Spech Tricross Exp
    Raleigh Rx1.0

Fut. Bikes:
    Misfit diSSent
    Soma ES

rho
    Captain Pinchflat
    If if makes you feel any better, I could never get the EBB on my chameleon to stop creaking. I run gears on it, but do lots of standing and mashing.

cleaned it, relubed it with grease, tried water proof grease, anti seize, teflon tape, dry, brayacote, tefelon grease, lithium grease, olive oil, linseed oil, thin coat of motor oil, tri flow, gear oil...
    never could get it to shut up. Been through a few crank sets trying to get it to go away, as well. Never could.

That was four years ago, I just got used to it...
    I never really looked at the bushnell's EBB however, it looks interesting.

Trail Junkie
    That sucks man! I don't think I could deal with that....Maybe look into a new frame? The Santa Cruz Highball AL can be ran SS or Geared, but it uses Sliders, which I prefer anyhow. It doesn't alter your cockpit geo when you change cogs or chains.

Here is a picture of a Salsa Selma with the Bushnell (light version)...it also happens to be for sale.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Replacement EBB compatibility-salsaebb.jpg  

Replacement EBB compatibility-salsaframe.jpg  

Santa Cruz Tallboy c
    Lynskey Pro29 SS
    Cervelo S2
    Spech Tricross Exp
    Raleigh Rx1.0

Fut. Bikes:
    Misfit diSSent
    Soma ES

rho
    Captain Pinchflat
    yeah, that EBB looks way better than the wedge one on the old generation of the chameleon.
    The new ones have sliders, also... I might get another one to run gears on.

Going to get a el cheapo 29er SS, soon however... hehehehehehe.