mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Replace Eno axle bolts with titanium?

Has anyone replaced the axle bolts on their Eno (eccentric in my case) with titanium ones? Any reason not to?

It just seems like an easy and cheap way to lose a little weight.

Schipperkes are cool.
    Get a haircut.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee
    Better suited to non-aggressive 125# gals named Russell.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by banks
    Get a haircut.
    Useful.

Schipperkes are cool.
    Helmet fits better! Lighter! Cheaper!
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee
    Better suited to non-aggressive 125# gals named Russell.

viva la v-brakes!
    actually, I cut a lot of hair off this spring, probably 5 inches or so. The hair was increadibly light, I'm pretty sure switching those bolts to Ti would save more weight than a hair cut.

Personally, I want the bits holding my SS rear wheels on to be as strong as possible. Think about how much force goes into those wheels when you stand up and pedal, and those eccentric hubs need to hold position based only on the clamping force those bolts provide. Ti is more likely to strip than steel when cranking those bolts down hard. I am not sure, but perhaps it would be more likely to snap as well.

Why don't you email White Industries and see what they say about it?
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    I have a car. I made a choice. I ride my bike.

mtbr member
    meh, stop eating cookies during the week, and only look forward for a cookie on a Saturday, after a long ride. it will be like sex in your mouth. good sex, not the jail sex kind.

nothing to see here
    agreed...I've lost nearly 2 whole bikes in body fat over the last 4 years or so. A Titanuim axle isn't going to do much for me.

viva la v-brakes!
    To be fair, weight on the bike is more important than weight on the body.... but that's not the point anyway. If bad mechanic is trying to lighten up his bike, quit giving him a hard time. And those are some big heavy bolts he is looking at.

Personally, I would see what WI has to say about that. I'm not sure where you would find Ti bolts in that size anyway.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I try to make my bike as light as possible without compromising performance. What I see is a part which isn't as optimized as much as it could be. Have a light bike means keeping an eye on the weight of every single part.

I know a lot of single speeders have little regard for weight, but personally I enjoy having a light bike.

For the people giving me crap about losing weight, I'm 6'1" and weigh 150 pounds. How much lighter do you think I can get?

nothing to see here
    Cool. No offence intended. Apologies if it came through that way.

default title
    Here's a weight savings plan....

Ditch the ENO Eccentric and heavy ass freewheel

Get a light geared hub, alu (or Ti) cog and spacers, hollow axle with a Ti skewer and a tensioner.

You could probably get a pound out of it, way more than changing a couple bolts. Of course, it wouldn't be anywhere near as cool, but a hell of a lot lighter which is the point, right?
    ___
    _

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevob
    Cool. No offence intended. Apologies if it came through that way.
    You didn't offend me, and my apologies if I came across harshly. It's just the fact whenever anyone asks about saving weight you get the same answers.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by j e SS e
    Here's a weight savings plan....

Ditch the ENO Eccentric and heavy ass freewheel

Get a light geared hub, alu (or Ti) cog and spacers, hollow axle with a Ti skewer and a tensioner.

You could probably get a pound out of it, way more than changing a couple bolts. Of course, it wouldn't be anywhere near as cool, but a hell of a lot lighter which is the point, right?
    Nope, I like my Eno.

Also, the weight savings aren't as great as you think. A complete Chris King SS rear setup with a King 18t stainless cog (no aluminum cogs please) and bolts weigh 380 grams, plus an additional 105 grams for a tensioner. My Eno Eccentric with a White 18t freewheel on it weighs 507 grams (measured). So you're only saving 25 grams and getting stuck with a worse tensioning system.

viva la v-brakes!
    well, get your frame converted to horizontal drops... assuming its steel, then you don't need the tensioner. And, in your case, putting some weight on your body would probably make you faster.

mtbr member
    Poor man's titanium - drill out the bolts so they are hollow. The metal in the centre isn't adding much to the bolt.

We used to do this sort of thing to show we were real weight weenies.

Looks cool too
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 5736' Highlands, Scotland

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by FishMan473
    well, get your frame converted to horizontal drops... assuming its steel, then you don't need the tensioner. And, in your case, putting some weight on your body would probably make you faster.
    It's not steel, so it's not an option. Before you say it, I like an aluminum frame, and yes, I've owned a good steel frame before. Also, I don't like horizontal drop outs; I prefer the Eno tensioning system.

Please just let me worry about my body.
    Last edited by bad mechanic; 08-17-2009 at 06:54 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bad mechanic
    Nope, I like my Eno.

Also, the weight savings aren't as great as you think. A complete Chris King SS rear setup with a King 18t stainless cog (no aluminum cogs please) and bolts weigh 380 grams, plus an additional 105 grams for a tensioner. My Eno Eccentric with a White 18t freewheel on it weighs 507 grams (measured). So you're only saving 25 grams and getting stuck with a worse tensioning system.
    Well a real weight weenie would not choose a King hub But you points are valid imo

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    For the record, White Industries said it's fine to use titanium axle bolts, and the manual already says to use anti-seize on even the stock steel bolts. I ordered a set M8x20 taper head bolts from Red Mist Motorsports. They fit great, hold great, and dropped 12 grams.

nothing to see here
    cool
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.