mtbr member
    Feb 2004

remove shifter pods on LX brake/shifter combo?

Can it be done? Just contemplating a SS convert, don't want to have to buy new levers.

Thanks.

mtbr member

Sure

Are you ready to convert? Sure it can be done....

mtbr member
    Use a Dremel with the cutting discs for more elegant results. I did to to a pair of XTR's not so long ago. Can't tell there cut until I crash. j/k

dd..''

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    "Use a Dremel with the cutting discs for more elegant results. I did to to a pair of XTR's not so long ago."

There seem to be a lot of screws going into the pods - are you sure I can't just unscrew and seperate the pods from the levers?

mtbr member
    You can also unscrew the pods from the levers. Once removed you should be left with the item that I cut off my XTR levers. If you are unsure, take off all the pieces of the pod... ride them for awhile, then if you can't stand the aesthetics, cut them off. I can send you pics of mine.

dd..''

self destructive
    if you unscrew them you and then cut the mounting point off and want to use the shifters again you can get mounts for the shifters that would make them mount seprately from your brake levers. i did this on an old bike and it worked fine.

try driving your car less
    Quote Originally Posted by chickenlegs
    Can it be done? Just contemplating a SS convert, don't want to have to buy new levers.

Thanks.
    i dont know for LX, but for XT combos, i just took them off and ebayed them and bought some avid levers for cheap. about the same effort, and i came out ahead cash wise.
    Only boring people get bored.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by boris the blade
    if you unscrew them you and then cut the mounting point off and want to use the shifters again you can get mounts for the shifters that would make them mount seprately from your brake levers. i did this on an old bike and it worked fine.
    I think there are adapters... but if there is any chance that the bike may go back to geared, I would leave the tabs on. I knew my bike would never go back to gears. It loves being fixed!

dd.''

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Thanks.
    yo-
    i have several sets of levers in the big box of parts at home. one set is a pair of old lx's that were similar to your's, sans pods now, and one set of avids w/no pods.

i can send you the ol lx pair for free, or maybe swap yours for the avids..lemme know if your interested.

WAWE
    Jan 2004
    Probably easier/better to just hock'em and pick up a set of Avid's as someone else mentioned.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by halfinch
    yo-
    i have several sets of levers in the big box of parts at home. one set is a pair of old lx's that were similar to your's, sans pods now, and one set of avids w/no pods.

i can send you the ol lx pair for free, or maybe swap yours for the avids..lemme know if your interested.

Thanks, might be interested in the avids. What model - and what kind of condition are they in? These LX combos are about a year old but rarely used.

johnkrisle@yahoo.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Thanks, might be interested in the avids. What model - and what kind of condition are they in? These LX combos are about a year old but rarely used.

johnkrisle@yahoo.com
    think they're 1.0 somethings, spanking new with little use. i wont be home again till late, will take a pic and can send it to you, as i havent uploaded pictures here yet. send my your email addy to:mmmcofee@yahoo.com