Life is Go0d!

Redline Flight action shots.

A few pics of me and my lady on our Flights. Bad quality pics, but you get the idea.

lwood2.jpg

lwood4.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by mo0se; 09-04-2009 at 05:26 AM.
    The only regrets in life, are the risks you didn't take.

Life is Go0d!
    A few more..

lwood12.jpg

lwood13.jpg

lwood14.jpg

We love our simple bikes.
    Last edited by mo0se; 09-04-2009 at 05:24 AM.

Life is Go0d!
    Maybe a couple more... I'm very fortunate, to have my little woman out there with me.

lwood16.jpg

lwood21.jpg

lwood17.jpg

lwood18.jpg

lwood19.jpg

lwood20.jpg

Enki loves you
    Looks like fun, location?

Life is Go0d!
    Lake Leatherwood, Eureka Springs, Arkansas. Its our favorite local trail.

mtbr member
    This is when I had my green Flight SS:

And this is some sideways blurry assed video of me on my current Mono-9:

Life is Go0d!
    I love that green.. I have the same year. They are a blast! I have the 08 blue now as well. My wife has the 09 brownish rose color.

mtbr member
    Just got back from a ride on my Redline - damn these bikes handle so nice!

Life is Go0d!
    Quote Originally Posted by MMcG
    Just got back from a ride on my Redline - damn these bikes handle so nice!
    Amen brutha! I have had some pricey bikes in my life.. and well.. you can see where I am. They feel right... I doubt if my wife and I, will stray from the brand. Lotsa smiles, for not a lot of duckets!

My spoon is too big!
    I'm thinking of picking up one of those. Glad to see that they can handle anything I want to do.
    "If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."
    J. R. R. Tolkien

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mo0se
    Lake Leatherwood, Eureka Springs, Arkansas. Its our favorite local trail.
    Used to live there! In Tulsa now but ride there fairly often. Was just there a couple weekends ago and hope to be back maybe next weekend.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Very nice! How are those rigid forks in the trails?

Life is Go0d!
    Quote Originally Posted by aeroslave
    Very nice! How are those rigid forks in the trails?
    The forks are predictable, and handle most anything I throw at them. They require a different riding style on the trails at speed. Picking your lines and riding with a relaxed grip, arms, shoulders, and legs. Slow speed tech stuff is really a lot of fun on them. They will let you feel what the trail is doing under you. Rigid bikes, are not meant to be ridden like a FS, or HT. The steel does a good job of absorbing the rough stuff, to a point. They require more rider input, more involvement on the ride. When we are out with a group, we can keep up on all but the roughest downhills. We usually catch up again, when the trail turns back up. The bikes handle great, very stable and precise.

Life is Go0d!
    Quote Originally Posted by adlo76
    Used to live there! In Tulsa now but ride there fairly often. Was just there a couple weekends ago and hope to be back maybe next weekend.
    We may run into you out there someday.. :-) We are out there often. You will know who we are at least, The Flights are our only bikes.

Life is Go0d!
    Quote Originally Posted by medieval
    I'm thinking of picking up one of those. Glad to see that they can handle anything I want to do.
    The frame and fork have a lifetime warranty... I have not had to use it yet.. its been almost 3 years on my original 07.

mtbr member
    We may run into you out there someday.. :-) We are out there often. You will know who we are at least, The Flights are our only bikes.

at this point, rigid SS 29'ers is all you'll see me on too and by next week I'll be on my new handmade Edoz, so if you peep the bike, I'm hard to miss there's only a couple out on the trails at this point.

mtbr member
    I have an 08 blue one, I love it

Just built up a Niner SIR 9, so the Flight may see a bit less trail time for a while... I will say, though, that the acceleration is not as snappy on the SIR as it is on the Redline. Much more compliant ride, but you do give up the advantages of a stiffer frame.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Thanks...I am converting my HT to a full rigid...this feedback helps!

mtbr member
    Hey Mo0se,

What gearing are you running on your 'cogs?

Nice photos btw.

I was worried that on the brochure, my Flight was spec'd with a riser bar, but it came with a flat bar. But I see on your lady's bike has a similar bar.

Loving my Redline so far.

mtbr member
    I ride a 32x18 pretty much everywhere including Leatherwood on the big wheels. A 20 or 21 will probably be used during the winter though when I try and rest up but still don't want to have to ride a geared bike.

My 2

Life is Go0d!
    I currently have 32 20 on my bike, I found a little extra torque helps in the tech stuff, and so I can climb without hurling a lung up. My wife has a 32 21 on hers, for the same reasons. She is both younger, and stronger than I am. I know she can handle a lot tougher gearing, I think she does what she does to make me feel better! We also keep 18's on hand for flatter trails, and longer trails with less technical areas. Its a 5 minute swap.

mtbr member
    You don't even have to swap them out completely, just keep two cogs on the freehub

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MMcG
    This is when I had my green Flight SS:

And this is some sideways blurry assed video of me on my current Mono-9:

Why do you sound like a chipmonk on the audio?

Life is Go0d!
    Revived for Info purposes. :-)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fat Bob
    Why do you sound like a chipmonk on the audio?
    That's me riding the bike not taking the video - my friend's wife is taking the video.

My spoon is too big!
    Just picked up a used '08 MC Flight today! I have a few tweaks to do before I take it off road. Pics to come soon, and I hope to add some action shots to this thread before too long.
    "If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."
    J. R. R. Tolkien

mtbr member
    Just picked up a used '08 MC Flight today! I have a few tweaks to do before I take it off road. Pics to come soon, and I hope to add some action shots to this thread before too long.
    Here, I beat ya to it....got mine 2 weeks ago..fun, fun fun!!

Life is Go0d!
    Quote Originally Posted by jsord
    Here, I beat ya to it....got mine 2 weeks ago..fun, fun fun!!
    Congrats for the bike, and the renewed fun factor! Riding a 29uh ss, brought back the fun of riding for me. Glad to see I was not imagining my fun all alone.

My spoon is too big!

... and if we just ...

Forgot the camera today, so no action shots yet, but here's the post ride pic.

I can sum up my ride this morning with one word; "FUN!" This is the most fun I've had on a bike in a long time. I was riding trails that I've done almost weekly for 2 years now, and everything felt new and exciting again. I even cleared a couple of sections that trip me up on the FS 26'er. I'm not ready to give away my Prophet, but the MC will be seeing a lot more trail time.
    J. R. R. Tolkien

Life is Go0d!
    Forgot the camera today, so no action shots yet, but here's the post ride pic.

I can sum up my ride this morning with one word; "FUN!" This is the most fun I've had on a bike in a long time. I was riding trails that I've done almost weekly for 2 years now, and everything felt new and exciting again. I even cleared a couple of sections that trip me up on the FS 26'er. I'm not ready to give away my Prophet, but the MC will be seeing a lot more trail time.
    The fun factor gets more addictive, with every ride... you have crossed over into another dimension, to which there is little hope of escape. :-) congrats on the flight..

Life is Go0d!
    Well.. how is the new bike riding?

mtbr member
    Well.. how is the new bike riding?
    Heh heh, I can tell you how MY riding is after 10 hrs of trails.

First off, 20t rear cog is the magic gear for serious trail riding. Awesome.

I recently went on a ride through technical single track with lots of ups and downs. Very tight, twisty and riddled with rocks and roots. I rode with 3 other guys that are pretty fit on Spec Epic and SJ FSR.

Let's just say I had to slow down in places so that they could keep me in sight. This bike is awesome. The steering is accurate and forces you to put pressure on the bar while being supple in the corners to keep front end grip. There is seemingly endless rear end grip. Traction is amazing with the 29 and the concentration used to select the right gear is diverted to maintaining proper speed for my gear through a given section.

I could also concentrate a lot on getting over the trail features. How to dance with the bike.

My legs were jello after 2hrs of hard riding.

But what a blast that first 1.5hrs were. Now I just have to work on stretching out my ride time without backing off my intensity. What a great training tool!

Life is Go0d!
    I am happy you like the 20t its been perfect for me. My Flight is not a training tool . . . its how I choose to roll. :-) Its my only bike.

My spoon is too big!
    I'm hooked for sure!

Last Sat. I did about 25 miles, with ~2200 ft. of climbing. I probably should have stopped before the last 8 miles, but I was enjoying the ride so much that I just kept going. Leg cramps slowed down the last loop, but I felt good when I finished it.

The best part was clearing a few sections of trail that have always stumped me on the FS bike. One is a short section with 18 tight switchbacks. I could never carry enough speed to keep balanced. On the Flight, I could just power around each turn. The other is a steep, loose climb with an awkward entry. I could never keep traction on the rear wheel before, without the front lifting. Now it feels like I'm riding a tractor, motoring up without a slip.

My wife thinks I'm nutty, riding off-road without gears or suspension. I can only say that it feels right. My Prophet is a great bike, and will see plenty of use, but nothing matches the childlike joy that comes from riding such a simple bike. I can't wait to get it out on some of my other favorite trails.

p.s. I promise to get some action shots soon, and maybe some vids too.
    J. R. R. Tolkien

My spoon is too big!
    Here's a quick vid from this yesterday's ride. Have I said yet how much I love this bike? Though I still need to remember that I'm not riding a 5" FS bike, before my arms get shaken apart.

<object width="400" height="300"><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><param name="movie" value="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=7016071&amp;server=vimeo.com &amp;show_title=1&amp;show_byline=0&amp;show_portr ait=0&amp;color=59a5d1&amp;fullscreen=1" /><embed src="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=7016071&amp;server=vimeo.com &amp;show_title=1&amp;show_byline=0&amp;show_portr ait=0&amp;color=59a5d1&amp;fullscreen=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" width="400" height="300"></embed></object><p><a href="http://vimeo.com/7016071">ECDM 10-10-09</a> from <a href="http://vimeo.com/mbyard">mike b</a> on <a href="http://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>
    J. R. R. Tolkien

Life is Go0d!
    Revived for Sara. . :-)

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I just bought my first MTB ever.. It is an '06 flight... It isn't a 29er, though... I wanted one, but the price was way too good to pass up, so I'm on a 26!

I love it... I huge switch from my fixed track bike... I have been commuting on it, and cannot resist the impulse to jump curbs and ride through rough terrain! haha

mtbr member

Progress report

One month in on my 08 Flight (1st SS/HT/29/Steel) and just did the nastiest ride in these parts...3400 ft in 15 mi (for you So Cal locals - this was Gridley out of Ojai)...

Was not expecting to make it to the top but my partners were just grinding it on DH rigs so i had plenty of rest spots waiting for them to catch up....2:20 climb

This is an amazing climbing machine but i was not prepared for the 45 min downhill blasting rock gardens for the first time on a hardtail.....needless to say my feet were pounded to death; was shopping for insoles that night

Was fun to have done it, but once is enuf - taking the full bouncer next time, unless i can arrange an airlift at the top

mtbr member
    Thanks for reviving! Very cool!!!

Life is Go0d!
    Revived again for educational purposes for the uninitiated. :-)

My spoon is too big!
    I finally have some action shots of my Flight.

From yesterday's ride at ECDM, here in rainy NorCal.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Redline Flight action shots.-img_0403.jpg  

Redline Flight action shots.-img_0411.jpg  

Redline Flight action shots.-img_0444.jpg  

J. R. R. Tolkien

Members who have read this thread: 0