mtbr member
    Sep 2006

Recommendations for Cdn winter SS (studded tires)?

Hi All,
    I am looking to purchase a SS bike for snowy winters. I have a Marinoni Fango (cross bike for those not familiar), an all mtn rig and a 26" converted SS. None are optimal for winter conditions. I have 700c studded tires (700x35) that I used on the Marinoni and although they fit fine, I just don't want to wreck this bike on salted roads. I also love the simplicity of SS. So, I need to find a new bike with the following specs in mind:

fits 700x35mm studded tire
    decent seals for bearings
    prefer steel but you can try to convince me otherwise

Any recommendations from those living in snowy places?

Thanks much!!
    Bret

mtbr member
    I would rule out steel, unless you apply "frame Saver" in all the tubes. I don't even ride my Marinoni (Piuma, steel and carbon) if there is a slim chance of rain... I bought a used Kona PaddyWagon (it comes SS) for bad weather and commuting. 35c tires would fit. Studs? I find the only time they are worth it is on frozen lakes or trails (ice). I ride trails on my mtb with the fatest tires I have. ...Montreal is NOT a good place to ride during winter...

Johnnydrz

drinker
    Jan 2004
    depends on where you live. if it's in southern ontario where it's always slushy and the snow never REALLY stays around, forget studded tired, they really are only good on ice.

what you want to do is just run wider (i go to a 2.3") tire, run at lower pressure. get rid of all cables (the water gets in there and it'll freeze........) go with hydraulic brakes.

steel isn't ideal, but it's all i've ever used. i got a cheap mono-cog 6 years or so ago, and swapped out the brakes, and just ran it. the frame died this year, but that was long after cranks, 4 freewheels, 3 chains/chain rings, and 2 hubs. don't bring the bike inside, the warm moist air gets in the frame, then once you bring it back out, it'll condense then freeze in your frame.......repeat that 90times all winter and it'll accelerate corrosion.

also, if it's REALLY cold, the freewheel WILL freeze. the pawls won't engage, causing it to freewheel in both directions. i grab a propane torch to heat it up when this happens.......just so you know

mtbr member
    My winter beater for Southern Ontario.

I only stopped riding last winter when the accumulated snow got too deep, rutted and frozen to traverse.

I'm going to make a studded front tire for this winter using pan head screws.

Scandium frame, steel fork, hydraulic brakes, big sweeping bar for a comfortable upright riding position. The scandium frame I find very easy to ride.

Last edited by driver bob; 10-29-2010 at 07:10 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006

I live in Edmonton...therefore studs are a must.

Sometimes slushy but generally colder and almost always icy. I have tried w/o studded tires and almost killed myself. I have 2 sets, one for 26" and one for 700c. I would like to set up a 700c SS. BTW, thanks for the responses thus far, keep them coming!

Bret

conjoinicorned
    dude you NEED studs. i'm in calgary now but spent many years in champion city...maybe look for a frame that can take slightly bigger tires (ie. 38-45c studs). i prefer drop bars for city riding and winter is no exception to that, IMO of course.

nothing wrong with steel, my crosscheck lasted 4 winters with absolutely no ill effects at all, just keep the maintenance up and you're fine.

my surly crosscheck was a great winter bike (i run 38c nokians), but i found that canti brakes suck badly in the winter if you are anywhere near traffic, i got tired of it so i got into a disc brake 'crosser. now i have a singular peregrine, just got it so no winter rides yet but it's essentially a crosscheck with disc mounts IMO.

i run SS all winter, i have had problems with freewheels freezing up (ACS and shimano) but never once had a problem with a normal shimano cassette hub, i recommend going that route they are easy to rebuild as well...
    what would rainbow unicorn do?