Gimme free stuff

recommend SS chain

I was messing around trying to get a smaller cog on, had to shorten the chain, when I was putting it back together the side of the link bent and got all f-ed up... basically I need a new chain. What would you recommend? I would like a cheaper one, yet still quality obviously.
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus
    P.S. The true SSer's motto: "Do it anyway."
    Kona Process 134DL
    Misfit DiSSent 29er [FOR SALE]
    Dawes Deadeye [FOR SALE]

mtbr member
    Have you searched? This comes up all of the time.

I'll get the ball rolling:

Unless you are seriously weight conscious the KMC 610hx is hard to beat for the money. The last one I bought was $11. They are crazy strong, and wear very well.

mtbr member
    As long as your chainline is good you should be able to use just about any chain. I have used and, in the short amount of miles, not broken Sram 951, 971, KMC 8.93, and Z610HX. The Z610 seems to be the least flexy and problably the strongest. Although, i think the pin strength of the Sram chains are near or equal to the KMC chains i listed. The Sram chains are lighter, too.

It's really what you prefer. I currently feel that my 610 chain is wearing better than the others i listed. But, at the <$15 pricepoint, its not expensive to opt for the 951, 8.93, or z610. KMC makes an even stronger 3/32 chain for under $15. the K810. Their Kool chains are supposed to be really strong. After i wear out my two Z610s, i will stock up on K810.

Neg reppers r my biatches
    i have no "data" to prove a motherphucking thing however, i will continue to buy the KMC z610hx chain, period

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Shameless plug. I have two KMC new 8 speed chains in the for sale section. Get them both for $25. They worked great for me but am rocking belt drive this year so the reason they are for sale.
    OB1 Kielbasa

One is good!

bored ex-shop rat

Good job!

I have used a KMC Z610HX for some years, this chain is rock solid, now I
    swithed to a KMC Z1HX, KMC claims this chain is even stronger.
    Life is like a ten speed bicycle. Most of us have gears we never use. Charles M. Schulz (1922 - 2000)

Combat Wombat
    Quote Originally Posted by velopax View Post
    Have been using the 610 for years, but I would not mind checking out that new chain you listed. Unfortunately did not find anyplace selling it on this side of the pond.

mtbr member
    sram pc870, 8 spd. bullet proof.
    If you're lucky enough to be in the mountains,
    you're lucky enough.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Sram pc-850

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I use the KMC as well, not for any reason other than it was $10 and durable.

bored ex-shop rat

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by 351 View Post
    I use the KMC as well, not for any reason other than it was $10 and durable.
    Yes! that's the best part, even the better ones are less expensive than
    a midrange derailleur chains
    Last edited by velopax; 04-30-2012 at 11:34 AM.
    Life is like a ten speed bicycle. Most of us have gears we never use. Charles M. Schulz (1922 - 2000)

SSolo
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jetboy23 View Post
    As long as your chainline is good you should be able to use just about any chain...... The Z610 seems to be the least flexy and problably the strongest. ....It's really what you prefer. I currently feel that my 610 chain is wearing better than the others i listed. But, at the <$15 pricepoint, its not expensive to opt for the 951, 8.93, or z610. KMC makes an even stronger 3/32 chain for under $15. the K810. Their Kool chains are supposed to be really strong. After i wear out my two Z610s, i will stock up on K810.
    Yes, ran KMC 610 and it was great, but love the KMC K810SL-CP it lasted longer than any other chain I ever used and it never gave any problems....looks cool too with hollow pins and cut out plates. Definitely less flexy side to side than others!

KMC USA
    Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life son...

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    My husband has used KMZ 410's without any complaints. It looks like you can get them for $4 to $9. I've only used the SRAM PC-1 so I have nothing to compare it to, but I like it and you can find them for under $10.

mtbr member
    The 410 is a good chain, but it's not the strongest. I have gone through many of them. I am a big fan of SRAM chains on my derailleur bikes, but I seem to wear them out quickly on my SS, and IGH bikes. To be fair I haven't used the PC-1 since I'm all 3/32" now.

If you are looking for a 1/8" chain I would go with the KMC 510hx. It's the same chain as the 610hx, just a bit wider.

Got Mojo?
    Quote Originally Posted by azjonboy View Post
    +1

PC68. Oldschool SRAM 8sp. No problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    aLaN AT BikeMojo DOT com

Birthday Collector
    I'm a big advocate of the 1/8" SS equipment... And KMC chains - been running 410's for a long time with no issues at all. I trashed two PC-1's in a month or so - and that was it for them - and I like SRAM chains on the geared bikes. So if you're staying with 3/32" the KMC 610 and 410 or 510 if you are running "fat teeth".
    R.I.P. Corky 10/97-4/09
    Disclaimer: I sell and repair bikes for a living
    http://www.endlesscyclesonline.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by azjonboy View Post
    Odd, because I seem to destroy Sram chains with the quickness. Somewhere in the 100 mile range they start to break.

playin hooky
    I have always run SRAM 8-speeds on SS, but based on posts above maybe I'll try the Z

Single Speed Junkie
    Have used Izumi Super V chain for a few years now and really like how smooth they run.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    you can find them for 4 bucks... how do you not go with the kmc 410? it is every bit as good as a PC-1.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    With SRAM chains you have to remember two things:
    1. The PC-1 is a horrible chain and should never be used.
    2. You can use a chain tool to cut the chain, but you must use a Power Link to join it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by velopax View Post
    Where do you guys that use these chains, get them? I found them on the KMC site but was just wondering if there was any place cheaper. From KMC, the Z610HX is $11 with $8 shipping and I can't find anything on the Z1HX.

Also, anyone know what this chain actually is? It is simply listed as a SS chain.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycle151 View Post
    Friggin' coward. Give me a red chiclet instead of debating like a man. You don't deserve your green blocks.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    It's available on Amazon for $12 with free shipping.

mtbr member
    Thanks. I looked last night but didn't see that deal but I did end up getting a couple from Amazon and saved $4 over ordering from KMC. Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycle151 View Post
    Friggin' coward. Give me a red chiclet instead of debating like a man. You don't deserve your green blocks.