mtbr member
    Aug 2011

rec. me a budget rigid SS 29er

I've read all the threads I could find before posting this so as not to annoy anyone so please bear with me. Thinking hard about the whole Nashbar/Bikesdirect built bikes. Any other recommendations/advice? I'm 5'7'' 165 coming from full susp. bikes. Gonna be used as a communter/eventual trial bike.

thanks

Moderator Moderator
    Redline Monocog. Tough as old boots !!

Now broadcasting from CO
    Vassago Jabberwocky. Had one for, jeesh, four years now, and every time I get on it I smile. I almost like riding it more than my chi-chi carbon squishy bike, but I'm weak and can only stand SSing for a few months during the winter. Tried racing it once, but it just didn't feel right. Still, definitely my favorite bike to just go out and have fun on. Fully built up I paid approx. $650, but I had a bunch of parts laying around. I just put a new drivetrain on it, and I love it even more now.

Screw the haters. These bikes are great fun and IMO a great value.
    Brought to you by rocks.

RPG
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Kona Unit. Well built and spec'd. Been around for a while too.

A Gentleman and a MTBR'
    Mar 2007
    I have a love affair with The Redline Monocog, I keep buying other bikes, but just keep coming back. It's weird because when I rode BMX I wouldn't have been caught dead with a Redline, but I so respect their early adoption of the SS MTB. The pricepoint is pretty good too, as long as you're not comparing it to bikesdirect or Nashblah.

Apr 2007
    You people must have deeper pockets than me to suggest bikes $900+ for a budget bike.

My vote goes to Redline. Excellent bikes.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Another vote for the Redline.......I've moved up the 29er ladder, but still ride my '06 tribal green monocog any chance I get....bulletproof

Beer is my spirit animal
    Redline Monocog! Keep it stock to begin, throw 30 bucks at Tomicog if you want the cheapest and most effective way to make the bike even more fun, and ride!
    “I don't believe anything, but I have many suspicions.”
    ― Robert Anton Wilson

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    awsome. was just thinking monocog as well. Any weak points or immediate upgrades I should do right away? Any pretty solid stock components I should leave be?

Beer is my spirit animal
    I haven't changed any of the major components. The wheels are heavy but bombproof. I will frequently pull them off and throw them in a truing stand after some massive endo and they'll still be as true as the day I got the bike. The stock gearing is pretty decent for climbing, and honestly I love the stock V-brakes, too. If you're looking to save weight it's probably not the bike for you, but if you want a bulletproof bike that you won't have to do more than lube the chain and ride, grab one. My full suspension bike sees almost no ride time since I picked up my Cog.
    ― Robert Anton Wilson

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by allrachet View Post
    awsome. was just thinking monocog as well. Any weak points or immediate upgrades I should do right away? Any pretty solid stock components I should leave be?
    Stock BB is pretty weak but just ride it until it falls apart.

Wheels are heavy but can't be broken, one summer I put my other (better) wheels on the frame and it really transformed the bike but for the winter it's back to the stock DH19s.

If it's going to be a winter commuter accept the limitations of v-brakes or upgrade to a BB7 disc.

Honestly though, just ride it stock and replace parts as they wear out

Here's mine: Full on winter mode with a 40 x 19 gear combo.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails rec. me a budget rigid SS 29er-393613_204186352991536_100002005186745_463915_185238570_n.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    do the 2012 models have a quick release front? are these not a good idea for for rigid MTBs for strength reasons?

Moderator Moderator
    never had a problem with a QR

Beer is my spirit animal
    I have a 2010 with QR front and it's been just fine.
    ― Robert Anton Wilson

mtbr member
    I had a 26" monocog and I think it has all the same components as the basic 29" Cog. yes, the rims were overly heavy, as were most of the rest of the parts. but it was cheap and strong and rode well. the hubs and frameset are disc-ready, so get yourself some Avid BB7s and some clipless pedals for it and you should not need anything for a long time. when your bank account recovers, you can start getting some lighter bits for it.

surly inbred

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    any reason to choose disc over some nice v-brakes?

Beer is my spirit animal
    Better stopping power, better modulation, less susceptible to wet and cold, no rim damage.... if it works for you, that ebay bike that was listed looks like a great deal. I'll vouch for the color matching the 2010 models of Cog. However, I would highly recommend at least checking out your LBS if at all possible, 'cause you might find a better deal. If not you'll at least have a place to bring the bike if there are any problems with it. It's been my experience with ebay buyers that when things go well they're happy, but when something isn't right with a frame or complete bike, they're SOL because they have no warranty.
    ― Robert Anton Wilson

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    all right thanks everyone for the help.

One last question: what is a nice budget wheelset I could swap in? looking for a slightly lighter rim brake type rim in BLACK to match that frame finish.

Beer is my spirit animal
    I think it's been said already (certainly has on many other threads), but I would recommend that you ride it stock, wait for everything to wear out, and then upgrade. What you could spend on a "budget" wheelset for that bike is gonna be a decent percentage of what you'll end up spending on the whole bike. Just my 2 cents. I fell in love with mine right off the floor and I almost feel like changing anything could ruin the perfect relationship I have with it. Your experience may differ.
    ― Robert Anton Wilson

smalljeans
    redline FTW, even though mines a 26 (i'm a little guy). Like everybody says, if it ain't broke don't fix it!

Dan C.
    ...don't worry it's coming...

mtbr member
    when I bought my 26" Monocog, i was working at a bike shop. I gradually replaced everything but the frame, seatpost clamp, and the hubs. then I sold off all the parts I had on there and bought a Karate Monkey. bike shop employee discounts and doing your own labor makes all those changes a lot easier on your wallet though.

surly inbred

Never trust a fart
    Quote Originally Posted by RPG View Post
    Kona Unit. Well built and spec'd. Been around for a while too.

Kona Unit will be $999 for the 2012 model. It is a sweet build, but probably out of his budget range.

Even though I ride a Kona Unit, bang for the buck would be to follow the rest.

Redline Monocog.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I just bought a Gravity G29 on bikesdirect.com

my thought process:
    - WTB wheels (even though they're bottom of the line)
    - Geometry is identical to Trek Rig (don't think by coincidence either)
    - swapping out the Tektro brakes with my BB7's from my current bike
    - $350 free shipping / no tax

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by allrachet View Post
    do the 2012 models have a quick release front? are these not a good idea for for rigid MTBs for strength reasons?
    They've worked for 30 years on mountain bikes...

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Here's a cheap option without using a singulator. Find any geared frame with vertical dropouts and turn it into a single speed using a half link chain. The chains are a little heavier, but get you more of a precision chain length without using a squeaking eccentric BB or singulator. The chain may sag with time, but I have had no problems and have yet to drop my chain. I'm running a Salsa Dos Niner I bought for three hundred Pounds and I like it a lot. I love the half-link...it's bomb proof as well.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I've been trying to build up a second SS 29er with spare parts, just looking for a budget frame. The monocog fits the bill, but I'm having a hard time finding a frame. Does anyone know if Redline will sell a frame or just a complete? Haven't found anything on the used market, unfortunately.

Moderator Moderator
    I got my current Monocog as F&F package from Pricepoint.com a couple of years back.

Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by nts550 View Post
    Here's a cheap option without using a singulator. Find any geared frame with vertical dropouts and turn it into a single speed using a half link chain. The chains are a little heavier, but get you more of a precision chain length without using a squeaking eccentric BB or singulator. The chain may sag with time, but I have had no problems and have yet to drop my chain. I'm running a Salsa Dos Niner I bought for three hundred Pounds and I like it a lot. I love the half-link...it's bomb proof as well.
    Ooooor, you can run a regular chain and add a half-link if necessary. Use a magic gear calculator to see what gearing works for your frame (google it). This is definitely not a preferred method, as it does limit your gearing selection. Fortunately, my 26" frame accepts 33x17, which works well for me around here.

One more thing, half-link chains are no stronger than regular chains. In fact, I've heard the exact opposite.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nts550 View Post
    Here's a cheap option without using a singulator. Find any geared frame with vertical dropouts and turn it into a single speed using a half link chain.
    Or just use a normal chain with a half-link... $4

Mind your own religion.

mtbr member
    This or this are the two best deals in budget rigid SS 29ers today IMO.
    Mind your own religion.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PoisonDartFrog View Post
    This or this are the two best deals in budget rigid SS 29ers today IMO.
    +1 This
    Duct tape iz like teh Force. It has a Lite side and a Dark side and it holdz the Universe together.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I got my 2010 Monocog Flight for $550. Hard to beat that for a great steel frame SS.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Good job! budget bike

+1 on redline monocog

i got my 2012 redline monocog for 550.00. i love the new stealth black paint job.