mtbr member
    Dec 2008

Rear wheel alignment problems

I have a new to me KHS Solo One SE that was only ridden twice by the previous owner. I love the bike but have a problem with the rear wheel alignment. Every time I ride the bike I have to realign the rear wheel. The Brake side adjuster (don't know the real name) slides back until the tire rubs on the inside of the swing arm near the seat tube. The bike has been serviced by a professional mechanic and I still have the problem. Is there a fix for this? Do I need to drill and tap another stop bolt from the rear?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Have you tried a tugnut or two?

Happy in Happy Valley
    Jun 2008
    The KHS has sliding dropouts; tugnuts are for horizontal drop outs.

Sounds like you're not tightening the sliding dropouts enough.
    Rigid Surly 1x1 650b--------Fixed CrossCheck--------Surly Pacer-------Salsa Ala Carte

mtbr member
    that or replace the stock bolts with something beefier or more knurled from your hardware store.

Does yours not have the horizontal bolt that goes through the drops and backs up into the slider? I'd think those would work to hold em in place.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Slurry
    that or replace the stock bolts with something beefier or more knurled from your hardware store.

Does yours not have the horizontal bolt that goes through the drops and backs up into the slider? I'd think those would work to hold em in place.
    Presumably then it's the brake side that's moving backwards under braking - if there's clearance between the slider and the stop bolt on the brake side when the wheel has moved that's the cause.

Either apply a bit more torque to the bolts or look for better bolts/washers if the originals seem a bit crap.

Life is Go0d!
    Apply grease to the bolt threads, so they snug up better. Remove any paint near the bolt face.
    The only regrets in life, are the risks you didn't take.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Thanks for the replies. I cranked the bolts down as tight as I could, even used a box end wrench for extra leverage. I slipped in a lock washer last night but got home too late to give it a go today.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Oh and I called KHS and they said they could not talk to me and that I had to take the bike to an authorized dealer.

The bike is 2 years old and there are no dealers in the area so that's real crappy customer service if you ask me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Deaf_Guy
    Oh and I called KHS and they said they could not talk to me and that I had to take the bike to an authorized dealer.

The bike is 2 years old and there are no dealers in the area so that's real crappy customer service if you ask me.
    I was wondering what has come of this situation? I just got an 07 a couple of months ago and it's exhibiting the same problems. I've been through all the different bolts, washers, loctite, grease and super tightening to no avail. It just keeps getting worse. Did any of these steps work for you? I don't think the frame is ideally suited to having disc brakes-even though it has the necessary tabs for such.
    I'm taking mine back to shop and checking into a warranty replacement. I see that KHS has put a support beam between the brake-side chainstay and seatstay in order to resist the twisting action that causes the wheel to suck into the chainstay on that side.

Good luck with this! I really enjoy riding the bike and have become a SS convert due to it.

human dehumidifier
    A report of problems with KHS dropouts may apply here - or it may not. Same make and model though

http://www.dirtragmag.com/forums//sh...ad.php?t=15239
    But if you close your eyes it becomes so easy to see

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wv_bob
    A report of problems with KHS dropouts may apply here - or it may not. Same make and model though

http://www.dirtragmag.com/forums//sh...ad.php?t=15239
    That thread applies to a "T". Thanks for pointing it out. Hopefully, KHS won't drag their feet like they did for the guy in DRF. I just looked at the warranty and it applies to their bikes 2 years from the date of purchase, so I think I'm set.

jj

mtbr member
    Well, took the 07 KHS into the shop this morning and explained what was happening. The shop took that info and called KHS and they are sending out a new frame tomorrow. It must be quite apparent that there is a problem with the 07 frame as the brevity of the phone call will attest. I hope everyone else in this situation gets the same great treatment.

Now I have to go pull some parts off this frame....

jj

human dehumidifier
    Good to hear they're taking care of you
    But if you close your eyes it becomes so easy to see

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    First my apologies to KHS. What what I called crappy customer service was actually top shelf service.

My new frame will be at the local BS early next week and I should be back on the SS by the weekend. Won't cost me one red cent.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Deaf_Guy
    First my apologies to KHS. What what I called crappy customer service was actually top shelf service.

My new frame will be at the local BS early next week and I should be back on the SS by the weekend. Won't cost me one red cent.
    Sweet! Good to see good customer service is still out there.

jj

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Got the new frame and everything is great. KHS is a stand up company.