mtbr member

Which rear wheel?

I'm building up a new SS rear wheel. I'm debating between two setups.

Setup 1: King SS hub laced to Stan's Flow rim. The nice thing about this set up is that it's still fairly light, strong and should look fantastic. The con here will be the wheel price, it will be spendy for sure.

Setup 2: Chub SS Hub laced to Stans Flow rim wiht W/I Trials F/W. Should provide similar engagement to the king, be a bit lighter. This wheel will be less expensive initially than the king, but multiple F/W's will quickly equalize the cost.

I'm having a bit of a hard time deciding between the two. What do you guys think?

Dinner for wolves
    The WI Trials FW only comes in the 18t size. You can apparntly switch the guts of any WI FW with the trials guts, but I have never tried this. There are some other brands of high POE freewheels out there that may be worth checking out. Honestly, you can't go wrong with either set up. Hope trials hub is a cheaper alternative to King.
    Responds to gravity

mtbr member
    Dec 2011

Wheel

I have been using the Gold edition of the Sun Ringle Black Flag Expert. I have put them through the ringer and they have held up well!
    -Jesse

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I have a Paul hub/W.I. freewheel/Mavic rim on one bike and a King hub/Mavic 717 on the other. King is tits for engagement, cheaper, easy, and quick to change cogs, but expensive and complicated if you ever bust it up. The Paul/W.I. combo is retarted simple but only has half of the engagement points and gets gotdayum pricey if you change ratios often.

By utilizing both systems, I have opted for the most expensive, highest number of specialized tools, and largest amount of spare parts.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BGillespie View Post
    I have a Paul hub/W.I. freewheel/Mavic rim on one bike and a King hub/Mavic 717 on the other. King is tits for engagement, cheaper, easy, and quick to change cogs, but expensive and complicated if you ever bust it up. The Paul/W.I. combo is retarted simple but only has half of the engagement points and gets gotdayum pricey if you change ratios often.

By utilizing both systems, I have opted for the most expensive, highest number of specialized tools, and largest amount of spare parts.

LOL you've done what I"m trying to avoid.

What I like about using the trials version of the F/W is that you can get 72 points of engagement, which puts it on very close footing with the king.

While it is expensive to swap f/w it's not too bad mainly due to the fact that here in MD where I ride you would only use 2 or maybe 3 total different f/w.

Where I'm getting the wheels built Option 1 with 2 freewheels is the same cost as a King wheel.

Choices choices!

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Trials freewheel is cool, but 18t is too low for flat land SS'ing; 16t would be fabulous.

SSOD
    I use a WIFW on some Paul hubs and love them. However I change out chainrings to get different ratios instead of FW's, little cheaper than a new FW but also little more than a new cnc'd cog so... But Using a 32/34/36 rings gives me a good combo of ratios for most areas. But some frames/ bcd's might limit your range on higher chainrings so you need to consider that as well.

Riding rigid
    Mar 2007
    Unless you are riding real technical terrain, you don't really need too high of POE. While nice, I don't miss it when I switch between my single speed King wheel and WI FW wheel riding around NOVA and MD. I'm riding 18t or 19t on the trails around here.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I originally planned on getting Chris King hubs but after doing a little research I decided to go with the Chubs laced to arch rims and a WI freewheel (non-trials). Iím really pleased with my setup. These wheels have been great and I would get them again. I did buy 2 additional freewheels but only 1 of them is a White Industries. Iíve switched them out only 2 or 3 times and Iíve gotten comfortable with the 18 on there. Iím sure the Kings are awesome but I just wanted something a little different. If you go with the Chubs be prepared for lots of questions and comments from fellow riders.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I went with hope 2 pro in the rear (SS version) and love it. I had Kings on my HT and to be honest, you can tell the difference, but not worth it unless you need those extra .008 seconds or whatever it is you gain with quicker engagement. If it's your first SS and you aren't doing any competitive racing, build it cheaper (read cheaper and not cheap) and have some fun with it first.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    While I run a Paul hub with WI freewheel, the King hub is really, really nice. If you have the money to spend, I'd be hard pressed not to recommend it. in my opinion, it really is as nice as piece as you can put on your ride.