Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Rear tire volume without being an anchor

867 views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  ejw1 
#1 ·
I would like to consider a tire with a little more volume than my current set up. Right now, I am running a Rampage 2.35 in the front, which I find perfect. On the back I have a Karma 1.9. Light and fast with "not bad" volume. Been riding on increasingly rockier trails as of late, and would like to go just a little more volume. Tried the 2.2 karma on the back, and it feels like I am riding with the brake on. Some 2.0s I have looked at look like they have less volume than the 1.9 Karma. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

#3 ·
Sorry for the lack of detail. It is a 29er SS rigid. We pretty much have everything here from soft loamy areas to loose cobblestone descents to big limestone embedded rocks to the groomed trails at Raystown.

I was kind of curious about the Slant 6. I'll have to look up the weight on it in the 2.2.

Thanks!

#9 ·
Sorry for the lack of detail. It is a 29er SS rigid. We pretty much have everything here from soft loamy areas to loose cobblestone descents to big limestone embedded rocks to the groomed trails at Raystown.

I was kind of curious about the Slant 6. I'll have to look up the weight on it in the 2.2.

Thanks!
The Slant Six is a light but not stupid light tire. It's tough, hooks up really well for a low profile tire, and lasts. The casing is supple and the ride is really smooth. It replaced a
Maxxis Ikon and I prefer it in every way. It's heavier but also a lot tougher and more supple.

I've also had good luck with the WTB Exiwolf 29x2.3 in kevlar bead. I'm using it on my single speed (Slant Six on the geared bike). It's a little bigger with a little more knob than the Slant Six. Over all I'd say the Slant Six is a slightly better tire.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.