Thread: Rear King woes

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!

Bonking ... not feelin' well Rear King woes

My rear singlespeed King hub is noisy, and not just that buzzy noise either. It's more of a loud grinding noise. It doesn't happen when I coast, but when I pedal, it's there. The harder I pedal, the louder the noise is. When I crank hard going uphills, it's downright distracting.

Any advice how I can stop the noise? Does it sound like dirt has gotten into the innards? I've never taken it apart. Are there special tools needed to get to the Ringdrive? I guess it would be a good time to lube it up properly so it doesn't freewheel both ways in sub-freezing temps.

It's definitely the hub because I've swapped out the rear wheel for two different ones and all was quiet both times. Thanks for any help!
    "Keep your burgers lean and your tires fat." -h.d. | bikecentric | ssoft

meatier showers

Disassembly is easy

Take it apart. It's easy. Clean it up and look for indication of busted stuff inside. If it's just contaminated with grit, lube it after you clean it and slap it back together. I had a seized bearing once and was a little intimidated to get into it, but once I opened it up I was amazed at how simple and easy it is to work on. No special tools required.

--Sparty

Quote Originally Posted by Drevil
    My rear singlespeed King hub is noisy...
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

Shamisen Appreciator
    Jan 2004
    My rear singlespeed King hub is noisy, and not just that buzzy noise either. It's more of a loud grinding noise. It doesn't happen when I coast, but when I pedal, it's there. The harder I pedal, the louder the noise is. When I crank hard going uphills, it's downright distracting.

Any advice how I can stop the noise? Does it sound like dirt has gotten into the innards? I've never taken it apart. Are there special tools needed to get to the Ringdrive? I guess it would be a good time to lube it up properly so it doesn't freewheel both ways in sub-freezing temps.

It's definitely the hub because I've swapped out the rear wheel for two different ones and all was quiet both times. Thanks for any help!

You won't need any special tools to get to the ringdrive. If you're using the SS hub, you use a 3/32 allen to loosen the lockring screw, pull off the lockring and then pull the axle out. If you're using a regular hub, use two 5mm allens to "crack" the axle, separate them and you can unscrew the lockring by hand.

Once the axle is removed, you can pull the freehub body away from the hub shell and expose your ring drive mech.

In the past, I've used some Finish Line (green cap) lube to flush out debris from under the ring mech. You just push it back into the shell with your finger and flush good lube in there. TriFlow is also great and I recommend it for winter use (I'm not sure King does though).

You may also want to check the needle bearing within the cassette body and make sure it's clear of grit. It's running a pretty tight tolerance too.

Whenever I get a new King hub (which isn't THAT often) I pull it apart, clean out the grease and run TriFlow until it's broken in. On my mountain bikes, I'll re-lube it with King lube until winter and then I use TriFlow again. On my trials bike, I run it with TriFlow all the time.

If you run into problems, feel free to PM me and we can meet up somewhere and I'll help you. I work in DC and am in CP every so often for some street riding. I have the full service hub tool should it turn out to be necessary.

Sean

CEO Product Failure
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus
    No special tools required.

--Sparty
    Uh...yeah....you know what, I'd rethink this advice if I were you. I've got 5+ sets of King wheels, including the King SS rear hub you're referring to and there may be some truth in just disassembling the hub with a set of allens, cleaning what you can and re-installing BUT I completely service mine once a year.

Your's sounds like bearing issues; either the drive-side hub bearing or the needle-bearing set in the "free-hub" body. You need the $70 King tool set to access either of these and both can be cleaned and serviced easily. Otherwise, call King (800-523-6008) get an RA and ship it back for service. It shouldn't cost you more than pizza and beer on a Friday night.

BTW, if you're really frustrated with it, I've got a Spot rear wheel that came new on an '04 SASS that I'd be inclined to trade for your King !

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    Thanks everyone!

I just downloaded the PDF of the hub manual from King's website, and it looks pretty easy to do the basic maintenance. I also just ordered some of the Ringdrive lube from Speedgoat, so hopefully I can clean it up before the weekend.
    "Keep your burgers lean and your tires fat." -h.d. | bikecentric | ssoft

Shamisen Appreciator
    Jan 2004
    Thanks everyone!

I just downloaded the PDF of the hub manual from King's website, and it looks pretty easy to do the basic maintenance. I also just ordered some of the Ringdrive lube from Speedgoat, so hopefully I can clean it up before the weekend.
    You'll learn everything you need to know from the manual, but you may want to think twice about solely using Ringdrive lube on the ringdrive in February. At least thin it out with some TriFlow to keep it working on your sub-freezing rides.

meatier showers

Took your suggestion........

.......rethought my advice to Drevil. Don't see any need to change it.

Thanks anyway.

--Sparty

Quote Originally Posted by bingemtbr
    Uh...yeah....you know what, I'd rethink this advice if I were you. I've got 5+ sets of King wheels...
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

SS Grrrrrrrl
    Quote Originally Posted by bingemtbr
    Uh...yeah....you know what, I'd rethink this advice if I were you. I've got 5+ sets of King wheels, including the King SS rear hub you're referring to and there may be some truth in just disassembling the hub with a set of allens, cleaning what you can and re-installing BUT I completely service mine once a year.

Your's sounds like bearing issues; either the drive-side hub bearing or the needle-bearing set in the "free-hub" body. You need the $70 King tool set to access either of these and both can be cleaned and serviced easily. Otherwise, call King (800-523-6008) get an RA and ship it back for service. It shouldn't cost you more than pizza and beer on a Friday night.

BTW, if you're really frustrated with it, I've got a Spot rear wheel that came new on an '04 SASS that I'd be inclined to trade for your King !

I have 3 sets of King hubs and also own the tool. You don't need the tool to do basic maintenance on the hub shell bearings or to clean up the ring drive. The snap ring on both the drive side and non-drive side is exposed as soon as you remove the end cap and axle assemblies. Of course since I own the tool, I almost always do a full tear down and rebuild.

Sure you won't be able to completely remove the bearings without the tool, but you can at least open them up and clean them out a bit if necessary. Although I agree it may be a little tough to work on the free-hub body without the tool, but again you can stick your fingers in there and spin the components to see if that is the origin of the problem (unlikely since he said it doesn't happen when freewheeling).

I suspect that his ring drive area has been contaminated or even damaged and he should be able to diagnose the problem by removing the axle and inspecting the ring drive.

CEO Product Failure

Cool-blue Rhythm

Quote Originally Posted by dirtcrab
    I have 3 sets of King hubs and also own the tool. You don't need the tool to do basic maintenance on the hub shell bearings or to clean up the ring drive. The snap ring on both the drive side and non-drive side is exposed as soon as you remove the end cap and axle assemblies. Of course since I own the tool, I almost always do a full tear down and rebuild.

Sure you won't be able to completely remove the bearings without the tool, but you can at least open them up and clean them out a bit if necessary. Although I agree it may be a little tough to work on the free-hub body without the tool, but again you can stick your fingers in there and spin the components to see if that is the origin of the problem (unlikely since he said it doesn't happen when freewheeling).

I suspect that his ring drive area has been contaminated or even damaged and he should be able to diagnose the problem by removing the axle and inspecting the ring drive.
    Let it be known that I'm a wee bit anal-retentive with my gear. True you can access the bearings in the hub shell but this is not the ideal rebuild-service situation. However, I can't imagine how you could access the needle-type bearings in the driveshell-free wheel body without the tool. You need the King star tool to unthread the thing, then the spacers to remove and press it all back together. I'm not saying you can't get by with just flushing the assembly out with WD40 (which is what King recommends) and then lubing with Tri-Flo,that's fine and all. But you've got a $200+ rear hub, do you really want to short change yourself?

Anyway, I know of guys who service their Kings fewer than once every 3 years. So...