Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Rear disk brake adapter

I know I have seen this before, but I don't even know how to search for it.

It's an adapter that either fits in a horizontal dropout, or just around the hub which allows use of a rear disk for those who don't have the tabs. Does anyone know of what I'm describing? Thanks.

mtbr member

A2Z Disc Brake Adapter?

I bought one and put it on my GT Zaskar frame. So far it works perfectly. Not hard to set up and everything fit perfectly. I put BB7s on mine.

I got mine off of ebay.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by skiing9689
    I know I have seen this before, but I don't even know how to search for it.

It's an adapter that either fits in a horizontal dropout, or just around the hub which allows use of a rear disk for those who don't have the tabs. Does anyone know of what I'm describing? Thanks.
    Yes, A2Z adapters has one for just about anything you could inagine. Some are multi use and will take some playing to get the brakes to line up but, they work.

War machine member
    I haev in my possession a Woodman disc brake adapter which uses a proprietary hub that will only work with verticle drop-outs. It worked great for me on my RM Blizzard, but I sold the bike (with rim brakes on it) and kept the adapter. I'll try to post pics later.

prawny

A2Z disc brake adapter - pics

a few years ago... after converting an older voodoo wanga frame to ss, i decided to add discs.

here're a couple pics showing the A2Z installed.

remarkable, to me anyway, are the way the thinner plate bends around the frame in order to snug up to the thicker plate (by design?), and also you'll see via the side-view pic that there is a movable "flap" -- during installation you rotate the flap into contact w the seat stay (in order to prevent the adaptor from slipping?).

anyhoo... the system worked just fine for me.

epilogue: about a year after converting the voodoo, i was fortunate enough to get a wonderful custom vulture ss frame, which i've been happy with since. but looking at the voodoo pics now, makes me long to build that bike back up again. you can never have too many bikes yes?

~g
    Attached Images Attached Images

psu cycling
    Jun 2007
    I just installed an A2Z on an older Voodoo frame last week. Anyone have any suggestions for lining it up/adjusting it? I can't get it to where the majority of brake pad surface area is over the rotor.

mtbr member
    I have a brake therapy disk brake adapter that runs from your brake boss. It is not the lightest thing, but I have not had to adjust it in 2 years. Built very well and their customer service is excellent. I think it is 2 or 3 times the cost of the A2Z. I will take a pic of it tonight.

mtbr member
    I've used several disc adapters, it's taken me a while to get all the pics collected.

This is the cheapest one, and it works reasonable well on frames with flat dropout (not Breezer type dropouts).

The Brake Therapy adapter was one of the 1st, and is still a decent solid device, not cheap, and you need an adapter on the hub as well.

The Woodman Adapter is similar to the BT version, but it's designed to work with thier special hub. You can use a Shimano hub by shifting the axle. I liked this one the best, easiest wheel changes.

AtomLab adapter is meant for horizontal wheel mounts only, originally for BMX bikes. Axle needs to be shifted, and it helps to add a torque arm.

Pauls version (another BT copy) only works with their single speed hub.Wheel removal is a bit of a pain, because the adapter is permanently attached to the hub.

This is the Specialized SharksFin adapter from their early FSR frame, and it has been used to convert many bikes to disc - our lbs used this for several Kona Hei Hei disc conversions, I have used it on a AMP B4 rear triangle. It requires you to drill a hole near the dropout to bolt on the adapter.

Then we can get Getto:

Modified from a BMX stem.

Made from scratch - on a Santa Cruz Superlite.

A hacked Woodman adapter to fit an old Catamount.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Breezer drop out

What would work on a breezer drop out?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JediSith
    What would work on a breezer drop out?
    Brake Therapy, Woodman or Pauls. Or a Getto mount made for the frame.

BMX'er getting big wheels
    That BMX stem one is way cool, thats the kind of enginuity I like.
    '05 Jamis Komodo
    '85 Toyota Pickup 4x4
    '74 Ford Maverick

Caught in a Trance (X2)
    Does Anyone know what hubs can be used with the Brake therapy setup? The page for it has a list http://www.therapycomponents.com/btmoreinfo.htm But it is not specific on what type of hubs (i.e. it says "Shimano XT" is that ALL XT hubs? centerlock or 6 bolt?) Thanks!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by moose27e
    Does Anyone know what hubs can be used with the Brake therapy setup? The page for it has a list http://www.therapycomponents.com/btmoreinfo.htm But it is not specific on what type of hubs (i.e. it says "Shimano XT" is that ALL XT hubs? centerlock or 6 bolt?) Thanks!
    The adapter work on any XT hub that has 10mm axle, which is currently all XT disc hubs (as far as I know). Some re-spacing may be necessary on the centrelock hubs. It'll work on most LX and Deore hubs too. I found that the Shimano conversion was never perfect, I could never get the hub to spin as smoothly as the stock cones.

psu cycling
    Jun 2007
    As noted above (I forgot about this thread..) I couldn't get the A2Z to line up. I guess I never looked at the picture with the 'flap' rotated around as such. However, the junction of the chainstay and dropout on my Voodoo Bantu ('98 I think) did not allow me to rotate the device clockwise around the skewer far enough to bring the caliper down completely over the rotor. I'm giving the adapter to someone local this week, as I've changed bikes, so I'll let you guys know if it works for him.

Caught in a Trance (X2)
    Thanks for clearing that up! So then do you recommend the DT hub(s) or Chris King?

mtbr member
    I need a Specialized Shark Fin adaptor SO BAD for my bike. If anyone can find one, PLEASE PM ME!!!

Thanks!
    Clayton

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by moose27e
    Thanks for clearing that up! So then do you recommend the DT hub(s) or Chris King?
    Sorry - been on holiday (biking at a place with no cell coverage or internet access!)

DT or CK, your pick. Both are good hubs, and their current page lists both as current conversions (both worked perfectly on my bikes). The DT conversion does not require pre-load adjustment, unlike the CK hubs.

Also, thier most recent page (http://www.therapycomponents.com/hublist.htm) indicates that as far as Shimano is concerned, they only recommend the 6-bolt (ISO) hubs.

mtbr member

I want to make one

How do they fit that adapter inside the stays withought making them wider? Do they replace the nut that keeps the left cone in place?
    [SIZE="2"]On a quest to ride a never-ending wheelie[/SIZE]

Drinking the Slick_Juice
    [

Then we can get Getto:

Lets talk more about that ghetto method of yours
    "If women don't find handsome , they should at least find you handy."-Red Green

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by x6thgearwideopen
    How do they fit that adapter inside the stays withought making them wider? Do they replace the nut that keeps the left cone in place?
    They are all different.

Brake Therapy replaces the outer locknut or hub-end with one that allows the adapter to fit

Woodman requires you to re-space the axle to 130mm.

Pauls replaces the outer lock nut with the threaded adapter plate.

Atomlab says to pry open the dropouts (or re-space the hub a few mm)

The others do not interfere with the dropout.

Quote Originally Posted by nuck_chorris
    Lets talk more about that ghetto method of yours
    What do you want to know. The CS were 22mm, bmx bars are 22mm. Hacksaw, file, drill & tap. Thats about it.

Big Paws on a Puppy!!

A2Z Adapter

I have one of the A2Z adapters that I picked up cheap on E-Bay. I want to try it on an old Kona frame with horizontal dropouts that I’d like to add disc brakes too. Like others have mentioned, I just can’t seem to let this frame go but it is in need of a technology update.

I contacted A2Z a while back and was told the adapter would in fact work with the horizontal dropouts. I have a set of XT centerlock hubs mated to Sun rims and also a set of Tektro IO disc brakes I picked up cheap that I will use for proof of concept. Right now I’m trying to decide if I can mate the Tektro calibers to centerlock rotors or if I need to buy the “centerlock to six-bolt” adapters and use regular six-bolt rotors. I’ll post some pics once I get all the kinks worked out…. And if anybody has any feedback on the proper rotor type I should be using, I’m all ears…

Thanks!!!
    Last edited by Ratman; 02-23-2009 at 05:54 AM.
    ‎"My bicycle masters boardwalk and quagmire with aplomb." - Tom Nuttall

mtbr member
    Longer bolts and more spacers work just fine.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Can you post some more info about your "ghetto" setup. Which exact BMX stem did you use? Did you then buy a disc adapter? Just any info / pictures from other angles would be awesome.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    where can I get an A2z adapter?

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I want to upgrade a Schwinn Home Grown MTB. Does anyone know can I get an A2Z brake adapter or soemthing similar?

Thanks

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast