The Top Cap Guy

Rear Cogs..... The good, bad, the ugly....

Ok - Got the Spicer Cog here today and man it's a beast. It's thick.... 14mm thick...my 9 speed chain seems to be working fine with it. It cost me $38. Fit on my King std aluminum freehub body with no issues. Not for the weight weenie though..... Here are some pics and weights of my current cog selection (each with a description)....

Cog #1

My good old stand by cog - the Chris King 18 tooth stainless steel cog. The lightest widebased cog I own (anyone what does a Boone Ti 18 cog weigh - I feeling my order getting ready to go in!) Avg cost $25

Cog #2

The new Spicer Ti Splined cog. Can't say too much about it other than it looks nice - hoping the weather warms to get out and try it. And it is a 19 toother... the cost $ 38

And finally my my Spicer Ti GCA with a Steel Raceface 20 tooth Granny (steel chain ring bolt nuts with FSA alloy bolts). Check the weight - you'd think it would be the heaviest with all the parts.....) Total parts cost $67

Oh well - that's all I have for now.....

Later
    FF
    "If I'm leading, I'm bleeding."

Ebo
    mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Why run a 9 spd chain anyways? Just curious since an 8 spd is stronger and slightly wider.

The Top Cap Guy
    Ebo

I'm running a 9 speed chain because I was too lazy to buy a new 8 speed one... I had extra PC69 chian new in the box when I built the bike up... never had any issues with them so I didn't mind. My riding style is more of a spinner than a chain breaking grunter...lol

Here's a couple more pics of the new cog - I starting to like it a little more on the bike - it has avery manly look on the bike... I guess I'm still too much of a weight weenie to love it....

Later
    FF
    Attached Images Attached Images

WAWE
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebo
    Why run a 9 spd chain anyways? Just curious since an 8 spd is stronger and slightly wider.
    I disagree... given two identical chains - one 8s and one 9s, the only difference would be(slightly) shorter pins and narrower rollers. Shorter pins = less chance of bending/twisting = stronger.

I also think big beefy BMX chains are inferior to higher end chains due to better quality materials, nicer finish, smoother, and pins with peened/riveted ends.

In the end, if you don't shift, all modern chains are pretty strong.

badjenny fan club founder

what's with the chains?

Why are all the chain discussions on the SS board about 8sp vs. 9sp? On my road-commuter fixed gear, and now my '92 Bonty SS I just built up, I'm running Sachs PC-1 nickel chains. Sure, they're 1/8" instead of 3/32", but they're nice and quiet on the fixed - on 3/32" ring and cog. The nickel finish is beautiful, and I just bought 3 for $7.47 each at Performance. How can you beat that?

WAWE
    Jan 2004
    Woo, sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by bikenerd
    Why are all the chain discussions on the SS board about 8sp vs. 9sp? On my road-commuter fixed gear, and now my '92 Bonty SS I just built up, I'm running Sachs PC-1 nickel chains. Sure, they're 1/8" instead of 3/32", but they're nice and quiet on the fixed - on 3/32" ring and cog. The nickel finish is beautiful, and I just bought 3 for $7.47 each at Performance. How can you beat that?

Ebo
    mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Sorry. But the 8spd chain is stronger than the 9spd and that is very well known. By the way you are thinking, you must believe the 9 spd drivetrain is stronger too. So not true.

WAWE
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebo
    Sorry. But the 8spd chain is stronger than the 9spd and that is very well known. By the way you are thinking, you must believe the 9 spd drivetrain is stronger too. So not true.
    Well known doesn't mean true. For example, Catholicism.

FWIW, I've never had any problems with 8s or 9s.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I agree 8-9 speed the same....

I have run 8-9 speed chains without any problems. I like to run 9 speed so I don't have to carry two spares 8-9 with me when I switch bikes. I like Sram 9 speed chain the most. They stretch the least.

Just picked up a 19 tooth alum King Cog from Cambria $20... sweet. Last one too :-)

No smart comment
    FWIW my Boone 17T cog weighs in at 27g.

Cheers.

The Top Cap Guy
    Quote Originally Posted by nikh
    FWIW my Boone 17T cog weighs in at 27g.

Cheers.
    WOW - I knew it! I'll have to order one of those now for sure!

FF

www.justthebonnet.com
    Quote Originally Posted by aosty
    Well known doesn't mean true. For example, Catholicism.

FWIW, I've never had any problems with 8s or 9s.
    Sweet Catholicism bashing! Ishmael anyone?

WAWE
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ibis-ss
    I have run 8-9 speed chains without any problems. I like to run 9 speed so I don't have to carry two spares 8-9 with me when I switch bikes. I like Sram 9 speed chain the most. They stretch the least.
    Me too!

Quote Originally Posted by ibis-ss
    Just picked up a 19 tooth alum King Cog from Cambria $20... sweet. Last one too :-)
    I have two that I'm getting rid of... they weigh 16g... woo! One used, one very lightly used. E-me.