mtbr member

rear cog for DT240s singlespeed hub

Just got my DT 240s hubs in yesterday and when I tried on the several Chris King cogs I have, they all had a noticeable amount of slop I don't have with my King hubs. Seems the splines are just a hair larger on the King hubs. I realize that with the cog mounted and the lock ring properly torqued, it should not slip around, but I would much prefer a snug fitting cog just like the way the cogs fit on my King hubs. I have a couple of Bontrager cogs that came with some factory Bontrager singlespeed wheels (I've heard are DT-designed), and they fit a lot better, but are 16t, and I need an 18, 19, and 20. Been checking out the Hombrewed Components, and they look pretty good, too.

What are some of you guys who roll on DT 240s using for rear cogs? thanks!

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Surly Cogs work real nice on those hubs

yes they may not be the lightest cogs made but they are solid and will last a lifetime- and yes I use an 8 speed chain with them.
    I ride a singlespeed because it's harder.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I had the cog concerns when I got my Spec. SJ SS (same wheel) and have used the Surley 18t and 17t for about 2 months without issues, nice fit

Mtbr Forum Sponsor - Homebrewed Components
    Jul 2006
    Surly cogs will be looser than CK.
    DT seems to be about average with their sizing, where CK is notoriously a bit tight. a few thousandths of slop wont hurt much though.
    I have DT 240s hubs, but it's probably obvious what i run for cogs

mtbr member
    I forgot I have a Surly 17t on another wheel at home, so I'll try it later today. Weight is always somewhat important to me overall, but I don't usually care about an ounce or so if I get some other benefit from the part, such as fit/durability/stiffness/etc. How do your Homebrews fit with the DTs? Like I was saying, the Bontrager cogs I have fit very well, not as tight as King/King, but really close.

thanks!

Did I catch a niner?
    Buy some cheap ones that you can mess around with then get a nice one form Homebrewed Components (ISAR) or get a couple.

I use a FW so I change my front chainring.
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?
    https://www.dollarshaveclub.com/ref/...A0CC/s/tx/cx/1

mtbr member
    ISAR posted this reply in my thread when I made a comment about the "play" between my Niner cog and Sun hub, I really thought there would be an IS for hubs sizing but apparently not:

Quote Originally Posted by ISuckAtRiding
    Dont worry about the cog, it's aluminum and wide based so it cant do much damage. unfortunately hub manufacturers do not stick to a standard, or they are just loose with their tollerances on the splines. It's a constant headache for me. Most cog manufacturers just go bigger on the spline so they dont have to deal with it, but then you have concentricity and spline wear issues. There's a VERY fine line between getting complaints of loose cogs and tight cogs, and i KNOW they're all the same size as my fixtures double as a gage.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pink57
    Buy some cheap ones that you can mess around with then get a nice one form Homebrewed Components (ISAR) or get a couple.

I use a FW so I change my front chainring.
    I am considering Homebrew, A. Because I kinda want something softer than stainless, and B. because he's very active and informative in this forum and thread. Are you saying Homebrew fits the tightest on DT 240s SS hubs? That is my question. I already have a boatload of cogs to play around with and I change gearing based on race courses all the time. Thanks

openwound
    I'm running a Homebrewed on my 240. It fits nicely, no noticeable play that I recall. I should get around to a picture, it's pretty sweet -- ti with a red carrier.
    -- let's ride

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by direneed
    Just got my DT 240s hubs in yesterday and when I tried on the several Chris King cogs I have, they all had a noticeable amount of slop I don't have with my King hubs. Seems the splines are just a hair larger on the King hubs. I realize that with the cog mounted and the lock ring properly torqued, it should not slip around, but I would much prefer a snug fitting cog just like the way the cogs fit on my King hubs. I have a couple of Bontrager cogs that came with some factory Bontrager singlespeed wheels (I've heard are DT-designed), and they fit a lot better, but are 16t, and I need an 18, 19, and 20. Been checking out the Hombrewed Components, and they look pretty good, too.

What are some of you guys who roll on DT 240s using for rear cogs? thanks!

Endless, Surly and an older CK 19 aluminum all worked on my 240's

Mtbr Forum Sponsor - Homebrewed Components
    Jul 2006
    i would say the fit is decent on the dt-swiss. Not too tight, not too loose. Tight enough to not have concentricity issues or damage the freehub body. They're a little tighter than a ck cog on a ck hub, if i remember right.

Thanks for all the plugs guys!

mtbr member
    Oct 2009

Homebrewed Comp.

I ordered a chainring and cog from him, cant wait to get too.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ISuckAtRiding
    i would say the fit is decent on the dt-swiss. Not too tight, not too loose. Tight enough to not have concentricity issues or damage the freehub body. They're a little tighter than a ck cog on a ck hub, if i remember right.

Thanks for all the plugs guys!
    Just ordered 2 Ti cogs from your site. Thanks for all your help and info. Now get off MTBR and get over to the CNC!